FV:CH32 Movie Mix

Comments

• AngusMastAngusMast Posts: 5,153
    Forum Member
    This was actually an obscure 70s film of the same name.

http://uk.imdb.com/title/tt0201661/

The name change has clearly caused some interest but outside of the shopping hours it just seems to be typical Cellcast/Squre1 filler material which has also appeared on Smile TV and Sumo TV.

So just to confirm, are broadcasting a 1972 film called The Hoax, and are advertising it as the 2006 film (scheduled again for next Monday morning). They could get in to trouble for that :)

It's an appropriate film title.
  • tomeetomee Posts: 2,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AngusMast wrote: »
    So just to confirm, are broadcasting a 1972 film called The Hoax, and are advertising it as the 2006 film (scheduled again for next Monday morning). They could get in to trouble for that :)

It's an appropriate film title.

Its ok Ofcom are sleeping at that time of night.;)
  • catsittercatsitter Posts: 4,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's good to know, I was wondering whether I should retune again as I would quite like to see the 2006 film, and now I needn't bother.
  • TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,395
    Forum Member
    Just out of interest, has anyone actually watched live or recorded one of these very early morning films and, if so, what were they like?
  • jj20xjj20x Posts: 2,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I saw some of the first film they showed, the quality was not good.
  • tomeetomee Posts: 2,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jj20x wrote: »
    I saw some of the first film they showed, the quality was not good.

It might be the age of the movie before HD.
  • jj20xjj20x Posts: 2,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tomee wrote: »
    It might be the age of the movie before HD.

It certainly couldn't be described as HD, it was barely broadcast quality. Even considering the age of the movie, I would have expected better quality from the 70's.
  • Mr SirsMr Sirs Posts: 4,825
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I recorded "CRY OF THE INNOCENT" (1980 tv movie) on Wednesday morning - watched it last night, but it froze after 35 minutes! Up popped the apology/back on air soon caption, however with "muzak" in the background it stayed like that for the remaining 55 minutes! Result - rerecorded last night so we'll watch this evening!

Have to say the quality of the picture wasn't great in comparison to what we are seeing nowadays. Don't whether that's in part due to the original quality of the film.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Here's some of the films they are showing over the next week:-

SUN AM - FROM HELL TO ETERNITY (1964)

MON AM - THE HOAX (1972 - although Freeview site lists this as 2006)

TUE AM - THE BROTHERS O'TOOLE (1973)

WED AM - CRY OF THE INNOCENT (1980).
  • omnidirectionalomnidirectional Posts: 18,796
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mr Sirs wrote: »
    Have to say the quality of the picture wasn't great in comparison to what we are seeing nowadays. Don't whether that's in part due to the original quality of the film.

This suggests they're using a poor quality source, as even films dating back to the 30s and 40s can be cleaned up to HD quality today. Those on Sky Classics and TCM HD are nearly all HD and look very sharp.
  • TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,395
    Forum Member
    I recorded "CRY OF THE INNOCENT" (1980 tv movie) on Wednesday morning - watched it last night, but it froze after 35 minutes! Up popped the apology/back on air soon caption, however with "muzak" in the background it stayed like that for the remaining 55 minutes! Result - rerecorded last night so we'll watch this evening!

By all means give us feedback, Mr Sirs, on just how good, or otherwise, these films are. It'll be interesting to hear back if any of them are worth watching.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well I sat down to watch (again!) the recorded (on the EPG) CRY OF THE INNOCENT last night and - on came the 1939 (!) animated film GULLIVER'S TRAVELS! 75 mins long with no ad breaks then some "shorts" for 10 mins.

I actually watched the whole film (being a movie fan) - but picture quality wasn't great.

We'll see what surprises they have over the next week!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Here's an update on Ch. 32 Moviemix over the last week:-

1. Films: Only broadcasting them between 3 & 4.30am, the quality of the picture isn't great - it's either poor, or at best average.

2. Content: Acceptable for film buffs, but not the greatest - no signs of any "big" movies so far: The Brothers O'Toole (1973 comedy western), Ginger In The Morning (70s Sissy Spacek drama), Gulliver's Travels (1939 animation), From Hell To Borneo (1967 action), The Hoax (1972 comedy) etc.... Most, if not all of these haven't been shown on terrestrial tv for years!

3. Mix Ups: The EPG is rarely accurate - Cry Of The Innocent (1980 thriller) has been listed several times, and has not shown. The Freeview website isn't accurate either. If they are trying to publicise this channel they aren't doing a great job.

I have tried to watch Cry Of The Innocent twice - and on both occasions it has never reached a conclusion! 1st time it froze after 35 mins, and remained that way for the next 55! 2nd tiime the film only had 8 mins to go, and once again the screen froze! Imagine the BBC or ITV doing that with a film (twice!!) in primetime!

4. Oddities: I initially thought it was just the Coke ad from the 1970s, but they are showing old 1960s and 70s ads from America! - including Volkswagen Beetle, Distran for sinuses, Hai Karate Aftershave etc.. etc.. Very strange indeed.

Conclusion: It looks like this film channel is concentrating on older films - fair enough, I've always thought there is a place on Freeview for another film channel. But I can't understand their lazy publicity, their inferior quality of broadcast, their shoddy service (films packing in), their crazy old ads..... If they are hoping to extend it then they would need to improve the overall quality of broadcast and service, and why not attract proper advertising at a knock down price? If they are looking for 5k-50k audiences then surely that's still enough to deliver a niche audience to certain advertisers at a bargain rate?
  • a516a516 Posts: 5,241
    Forum Member
    Conclusion: It looks like this film channel is concentrating on older films - fair enough, I've always thought there is a place on Freeview for another film channel. But I can't understand their lazy publicity, their inferior quality of broadcast, their shoddy service (films packing in), their crazy old ads..... If they are hoping to extend it then they would need to improve the overall quality of broadcast and service, and why not attract proper advertising at a knock down price? If they are looking for 5k-50k audiences then surely that's still enough to deliver a niche audience to certain advertisers at a bargain rate?

I suspect it's only being done to shoehorn a new channel further up the EPG by gradually morphing the channel from shopping to something else. If it was a sudden change in name and format, they'd be told to hop it down to channel 58...
    Forum Member
    I recorded it last night, the film they showed was Gulliver's Travels, an colour animation from 1939, cropped so that top and bottom were cut off.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gulliver's_Travels_(1939_film)

It's public domain http://archive.org/details/gullivers_travels1939
  • duffman25duffman25 Posts: 960
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    love the short films show on it they should have more off that over night with few more films
    Forum Member
    Another night the a couple of educational films to discourage young people drinking by AAA, and advert for Gleem toothpaste, and 1939 film Eternally Yours with David Niven.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Re above, 3rd time lucky for Cry Of The Innocent - though had to record the next programme (Shortcuts) as the film was running 10 mins. over it's time (due to the picture freezing again before the start of it).

So far - don't expect the film advertised on the EPG, expect low/average quality of picture, expect the picture may freeze, and so the film will either not complete or run over - so make sure you record the next programme on the EPG (usually Shortcuts) to allow for this!

Hope the whole thing improves though - could be a welcome addition to freeview if it was showing movies.
  • Jason100Jason100 Posts: 17,222
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It looks like content from sit-up tv has finished. JML has been broadcasting where Speed Auction used to be all day and yesterday.
  • David_AylingDavid_Ayling Posts: 819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    it looks like this channels stream is not being used by Dave Ja Vu.
  • zsb37105qtyzzsb37105qtyz Posts: 1,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jason100 wrote: »
    It looks like content from sit-up tv has finished. JML has been broadcasting where Speed Auction used to be all day and yesterday.

JCM Direct have been broadcasting instead of bid plus and speed auction not JML.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Here's an update on Ch. 32 Moviemix over the last week:-

1. Films: Only broadcasting them between 3 & 4.30am, the quality of the picture isn't great - it's either poor, or at best average.

2. Content: Acceptable for film buffs, but not the greatest - no signs of any "big" movies so far: The Brothers O'Toole (1973 comedy western), Ginger In The Morning (70s Sissy Spacek drama), Gulliver's Travels (1939 animation), From Hell To Borneo (1967 action), The Hoax (1972 comedy) etc.... Most, if not all of these haven't been shown on terrestrial tv for years!

3. Mix Ups: The EPG is rarely accurate - Cry Of The Innocent (1980 thriller) has been listed several times, and has not shown. The Freeview website isn't accurate either. If they are trying to publicise this channel they aren't doing a great job.

I have tried to watch Cry Of The Innocent twice - and on both occasions it has never reached a conclusion! 1st time it froze after 35 mins, and remained that way for the next 55! 2nd tiime the film only had 8 mins to go, and once again the screen froze! Imagine the BBC or ITV doing that with a film (twice!!) in primetime!

4. Oddities: I initially thought it was just the Coke ad from the 1970s, but they are showing old 1960s and 70s ads from America! - including Volkswagen Beetle, Distran for sinuses, Hai Karate Aftershave etc.. etc.. Very strange indeed.

Update on the above:-

1. Now broadcasting old ads, a film & shorts between 3 & 5am.

2. The same films playing over and over again - already numerous screenings of FROM HELL TO BORNEO (1967), ETERNALLY YOURS (1939), THE HOAX (1972), GINGER IN THE MORNING (1974), CRY OF THE INNOCENT (1980), GULLIVER'S TRAVELS (1939), THE BROTHERS O'TOOLE (1973)... :rolleyes:

3. EPG now shows "Movies" - no mention of title. Picture still freezes at times. :sleep:

4. Old ads and public service announcements still playing! :confused:
  • staticmanstaticman Posts: 162
    Forum Member
    Looks like MovieMix has launched fulltime now! It has full EPG listings.

Has it anything to do Sony?

Films and TV shows look very familiar, straight off Sony TV, Sony Movies and More>Movies?:D
  • Michael09Michael09 Posts: 932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah they are Showing tv show The Guardian and at nine, tommy lee jones in man of the house
  • peter_sharp1ukpeter_sharp1uk Posts: 1,653
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seems to be a renamed More>Movies channel.