cannot print from windows 8 laptop to XP tower printer

bryemycazbryemycaz Posts: 11,735
Forum Member
✭✭
I have a new Windows 8 laptop and I cannot print to the Network printer which is connected to the Main PC which is running XP.

If I plug the laptop directly into the printer it works fine and prints, I can see the printer however if I try too add it over the network I get INF file needed.

Any ideas as I have tried to install a driver for windows 7 (no windows 8 ones available). However I get a message cannot be installed on your system.

Comments

• s2ks2k Posts: 7,410
    Forum Member
    The issue is more than likely that your Windows 8 is 64bit and the drivers on the XP machine are only 32bit.

On the XP machine you need to download the 64bit drivers, extract them to a folder (so you have the inf files etc) then right click on the printer > printer properties > sharing > additional drivers. Tick the X64 box and point it at the folder where you put the drivers. It should then copy them into the right place.

Now when you go to add the printer on the Windows 8 machine it will pull the correct driver automatically.
  • bryemycazbryemycaz Posts: 11,735
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for the reply I downloaded the windows 7 64 bit drivers and installed them and it now works.