Compaq Netbook running Linux OS

LorenzoUKLorenzoUK Posts: 659
Forum Member
✭✭
Hi

I have an HP Compaq netbook 110 that had XP on it and was running very slow. I uninstalled it and stuck on Linux Mint 15. This now runs beautifully and quite quick, and much better than it has ever run.

I do now have to sell this. I am a bit worried as to resale value as it hasnt got XP on.

Would this generally sell on eBay without XP? How much can I expect to get for it?

Comments

• alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member
    It will sell less than if it had XP on it - but you are not going to get much for a Netbook to start with and when you factor in it being an old one with Linux on even less!
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    alan1302 wrote: »
    It will sell less than if it had XP on it - but you are not going to get much for a Netbook to start with and when you factor in it being an old one with Linux on even less!

Yeah but wouldn't a netbook with Linux be useful for someone who only has very basic computing needs (eg web browsing and maybe a bit of web browsing)?
  • alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member
    Yeah but wouldn't a netbook with Linux be useful for someone who only has very basic computing needs (eg web browsing and maybe a bit of web browsing)?

It would be but they won't want to pay much for it.

If you know about computers you know not to pay too much for a Linux machine. And if you don't know much you won't pay much as you don't know enough about it
  • emptyboxemptybox Posts: 13,917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can you not put a fresh install of XP on it OP?
  • LorenzoUKLorenzoUK Posts: 659
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    emptybox wrote: »
    Can you not put a fresh install of XP on it OP?

it hasnt got a dvd drive so I dont think this will be possible.
  • emptyboxemptybox Posts: 13,917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LorenzoUK wrote: »
    it hasnt got a dvd drive so I dont think this will be possible.

Well it's possible. Either using an external USB DVD drive, or downloading an ISO (or transferring one from another computer).
    But it would depend on whether you have an XP activation code.

But I wouldn't spend any money to put XP on it, as it might just get you another £10 for the netbook.