Bon Jovi acts like a dick at IOW festival.

BrokenArrowBrokenArrow Posts: 21,665
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Bon Jovi acted like a right dick at the festival with his constant whinging and upset the crowd and organisers when he demanded a 3 hour set then walked off after 2 hours into it after the 40,000 crowd just gave blank stares as he set off playing his new music rather than the older big hits that they were expecting.

I know some back stage workers who were pretty pissed off by his rudeness to them and he laid into the event as "the worst concert I have ever played".

Comments

• LMLM Posts: 63,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's normally like him. I guess he had a bad day

Good on him though for playing new music. Too many established acts rely on their back catalogue to dominate their setlists where as Bon Jovi are touring for a new album and therefore will perform songs from it
  • konebyvaxkonebyvax Posts: 9,120
    Forum Member
    It's a festival which means the majority of the crowd won't even be huge fans. You need to play your hits if you want acceptance in these circumstances imo.
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    What an idiot. I'm no fan but as he was at a festival he should have played their big hits. I'll get lynched for this but I can't stand him or their music.
  • LMLM Posts: 63,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    konebyvax wrote: »
    It's a festival which means the majority of the crowd won't even be huge fans. You need to play your hits if you want acceptance in these circumstances imo.

Oh yeah, good point
  • PhilH36PhilH36 Posts: 26,191
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was at last weeks Sunderland show where, in a 26 song set, he played 5 songs from the new album.
  • annushkaannushka Posts: 3,959
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PhilH36 wrote: »
    I was at last weeks Sunderland show where, in a 26 song set, he played 5 songs from the new album.

So the OP is either dramatically exagerating, or bending the truth, cause it sounds like he played 21 classic Bon Jovi songs.
    I quite like him, so I prefer your version :D
  • walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,562
    Forum Member
    Bon Jovi acted like a right dick at the festival with his constant whinging and upset the crowd and organisers when he demanded a 3 hour set then walked off after 2 hours into it after the 40,000 crowd just gave blank stares as he set off playing his new music rather than the older big hits that they were expecting.

I know some back stage workers who were pretty pissed off by his rudeness to them and he laid into the event as "the worst concert I have ever played".

So he has to play old songs and not the new stuff? Where is that written down?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nowhere, but most of the fans seem to want to hear the old stuff. Was also at KT Tunstall on Thursday, solo show (band tour to follow later in the year), it was clear from the publicity she'd be playing mostly the new material, although she did play three songs from Eye To The Telescope and one from the Scarlet Tulip ep, the rest was from the new album (except for a cover of Boys Of Summer).

I remember seeing Springsteen's Devils And Dust tour which was clearly billed as 'a solo acoustic show' and yet people were complaining as to where were the E Street Band??!!
  • barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't stand Bon Jovi, but I'd be pretty pissed off if I went to see a favourite band, when all they did was churn out the old hits. One or two as encores maybe, but I always want to hear something new.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7
    Forum Member
    Setlist at Isle of Wight:

1. That's What the Water Made Me
    2. You Give Love a Bad Name
    3. Raise Your Hands
    4. Born to Be My Baby
    5. Lost Highway
    6. It's My Life
    7. Because We Can
    8. What About Now
    9. We Got It Goin' On
    10. Keep the Faith
    11. In These Arms
    12. Someday I'll Be Saturday Night
    13. Captain Crash & the Beauty Queen From Mars
    14. We Weren't Born to Follow
    15. Who Says You Can't Go Home
    16. I'll Sleep When I'm Dead
    17. Rockin' All Over the World (John Fogerty cover)
    18. Start Me Up (The Rolling Stones cover)
    19. Bad Medicine
    Encore:
    20. Wanted Dead or Alive
    21. Have a Nice Day
    22. Livin' on a Prayer

I think 3 of the songs are from their new album. Seems like a mix of old stuff and newer stuff to me.
  • jacqueline_greejacqueline_gree Posts: 1,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whose Bon Jovi?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8
    Forum Member
    Tbh I don t mind if they play their old hits or new material - what really bothers me is the fact that Richie Sambora is not there . As a long time fan it's not Bon jovi without him
  • HaydenHayden Posts: 32,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So Odie99's setlist proves that the OP was completely wrong.
    Presumably he will be back to apologise??

<< doesn't hold breath>>
  • TejasTejas Posts: 5,027
    Forum Member
    barbeler wrote: »
    I can't stand Bon Jovi, but I'd be pretty pissed off if I went to see a favourite band, when all they did was churn out the old hits. One or two as encores maybe, but I always want to hear something new.

I agree! It bugs me when bands put out new albums and hardly play any of the new songs live, especially when they're really good. I love The Killers but their setlists are getting very stale lately - at some recent shows they played more songs from their 2004 debut album than the one they're actually promoting!

Fair enough, at festivals you play a lot of hits to keep casual fans happy, but I hate it when bands practically ignore their newer material.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He's the most overrated songwriter/band ever.
    They're atrocious . .
    Forum Member
    Whose Bon Jovi?

Do you mean who is Bon Jovi? Jon Bon Jovi presumably is Bon Jovi.
    Forum Member
    Hootie wrote: »
    He's the most overrated songwriter/band ever.
    They're atrocious . .

Just because you don't like someone doesn't mean they are overrated.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Further to my earlier post, on the Hello Cruel World tour Gretchen Peters said beforehand that the set would consist of the new album in its entirity, followed by a few older numbers, and some fans/reviewers moaned that they didn't like the format. Sometimes artists just can't win no matter what they do.
  • RooftopcowboyRooftopcowboy Posts: 7,234
    Forum Member
    odie99 wrote: »

3. Raise Your Hands
    4. Born to Be My Baby
    5. Lost Highway
    6. It's My Life
    7. Because We Can
    8. What About Now
    9. We Got It Goin' On
    10. Keep the Faith
    11. In These Arms
    19. Bad Medicine
    Encore:
    20. Wanted Dead or Alive
    21. Have a Nice Day
    22. Livin' on a Prayer

I think 3 of the songs are from their new album. Seems like a mix of old stuff and newer stuff to me.

Don't get the issue with that set list at all! looks like a perfect mix of all of the different 'era's' on Bon Jovi and a couple of covers to me.

the moment a bad/artist turns up and just does the 'Greatest Hits' set is when they may as well retire or check-in for a residency in Vegas.
  • stvn758stvn758 Posts: 19,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bon Jovi isn't a band it's a corporation, or so he said in this documentary I saw recently, shot in black & white to make them appear cool I imagine, very dull pretentious and desperate it was.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    odie99 wrote: »

3. Raise Your Hands
    4. Born to Be My Baby
    5. Lost Highway
    6. It's My Life
    7. Because We Can
    8. What About Now
    9. We Got It Goin' On
    10. Keep the Faith
    11. In These Arms
    19. Bad Medicine
    Encore:
    20. Wanted Dead or Alive
    21. Have a Nice Day
    22. Livin' on a Prayer

Sunderland set:

3. Born to Be My Baby
    4. Raise Your Hands
    5. Runaway
    6. It's My Life
    7. Because We Can
    8. What About Now
    9. We Got It Goin' On
    10. Keep the Faith
    11.Lost Highway
    12. Whole Lotta Leavin'
    16. Rockin All Over The World
    17. I'll Sleep When I'm Dead
    18. Bad Medicine

Encore:

19 In These Arms
    20 What's Left Of Me
    21 Wanted Dead or Alive
    22 The Fighter
    23 Someday I'll Be Saturday Night
    24 Have A Nice Day
    25 Livin' on a Prayer
    26 Always
  • Gill PGill P Posts: 21,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My daughter saw him at the IW Festival and said he was great. He introduced the new songs which were interspersed with the old classics. All in all a great set!
  • AbrielAbriel Posts: 8,525
    Forum Member
    Gill P wrote: »
    My daughter saw him at the IW Festival and said he was great. He introduced the new songs which were interspersed with the old classics. All in all a great set!

sa a bit of their set last night, sound wasn't good,Jon seemed very quiet compared to the crowd, but they seemed to be lapping it up
  • Glawster2002Glawster2002 Posts: 15,189
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Don't get the issue with that set list at all! looks like a perfect mix of all of the different 'era's' on Bon Jovi and a couple of covers to me.

the moment a bad/artist turns up and just does the 'Greatest Hits' set is when they may as well retire or check-in for a residency in Vegas.

But in general that is what a band plays at a festival because in most instances that is what the majority of people there will know.

The set lists shown for both IoW and Sunderland are very similar to the set he played in Cardiff. I find it very difficult to believe he "demanded a 3 hour set" and then "walked off after 2 hours in to it" as two hours is around the length of his set on this tour.
  • Old Man 43Old Man 43 Posts: 6,214
    Forum Member
    Perhaps he should do what Iron Maiden do.

When they have an album out they do mostly new stuff.

However when the do a tour between albums they do all old stuff.