LG Nexus 4 officially announced

Comments

• tony le mesmertony le mesmer Posts: 876
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Zack06 wrote: »
    Google is REALLY playing hard ball here. Apple must be terrified. I'm selling my Galaxy Nexus for a Nexus 4 definitely. £279 is an incredible price for such a high end device.

Same, hadn't any intention to swap my Galaxy Nexus but at that price I'm sold.
  • m4tt24m4tt24 Posts: 843
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Google just need to start offering extra cloud storage with the devices then no external sd isn't really an issue. Plus Google will be going in the direction with android they want anyway.
  • alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member
    swordman wrote: »
    It really is a great price I wonder what knock on effects this will have also

Think in the long run it may make it difficult for other mobile makers to keep up with prices like these. Google is able to do it as they want you locked into using everything else Google but other companies like Samsung/Nokia/Sony etc can't so it could quite easily push a few makes out in the future.
  • GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wow what a price.... I'm so tempted to order to buy one now!

Assuming reviews are good i'm gonna go for this to replace my iPhone 4. It's bigger than I would normally go for but at this price it's worth a bash i reckon.

I don't understand how they can make a profit selling this at £239 RRP, this will surely kill all the £200 - £300 mid range phones.
  • whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wow!

The only thing that i dont like is
    There's no microSD expansion
  • Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alan1302 wrote: »
    Think in the long run it may make it difficult for other mobile makers to keep up with prices like these. Google is able to do it as they want you locked into using everything else Google but other companies like Samsung/Nokia/Sony etc can't so it could quite easily push a few makes out in the future.

Samsung won't leave the Android platform, they are one of the companies that invested the most, and even if consumers start choosing Nexus over their own devices they will still make money, since they manufactured the Galaxy Nexus and will release the Nexus 10 and most likely will release more Nexus devices with Google in the future. They will still get money regardless of what happens. Likewise for Asus and now LG. The only ones that may lose out are Sony and HTC unless they get in on the Nexus program too.

Either way it won't really bother Google as it seems they are assembling an 'Android elite' with Nexus, starting with the Nexus 7 which they also sold pretty much at cost yet have sold over 1m already...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The google conference on thursday is really going to confuse my upgrade process! I thought the S3 was a done deal this come Saturday.
  • slick1twoslick1two Posts: 2,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    m4tt24 wrote: »
    Google just need to start offering extra cloud storage with the devices then no external sd isn't really an issue. Plus Google will be going in the direction with android they want anyway.

I'm one step ahead, box.net were doing a limited time deal, may still be on! 50gb free cloud storage. Got it set up on my playbook, pc and phone already. ;)
  • alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member
    Zack06 wrote: »
    Samsung won't leave the Android platform, they are one of the companies that invested the most, and even if consumers start choosing Nexus over their own devices they will still make money, since they manufactured the Galaxy Nexus and will release the Nexus 10 and most likely will release more Nexus devices with Google in the future. They will still get money regardless of what happens. Likewise for Asus and now LG. The only ones that may lose out are Sony and HTC unless they get in on the Nexus program too.

Either way it won't really bother Google as it seems they are assembling an 'Android elite' with Nexus, starting with the Nexus 7 which they also sold pretty much at cost yet have sold over 1m already...

It won't worry Google but it will worry the other makers - they make more money selling their own phones than one with Nexus branding on it and if Google are pushing the prices down very low like they look like they are going to do then it will certainly worry them that they will have to do the same with their own phones to ensure they sell well.

A million is not really that good after 3 months...I'd expect the iPad Mini to outsell that in it's first week on sale
  • Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah, sales of 1m in a quarter aren't actually very good (compared to the iPad).
  • swordmanswordman Posts: 6,679
    Forum Member
    slick1two wrote: »
    I'm one step ahead, box.net were doing a limited time deal, may still be on! 50gb free cloud storage. Got it set up on my playbook, pc and phone already. ;)

Got this too on offer a while back
  • Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alan1302 wrote: »
    It won't worry Google but it will worry the other makers - they make more money selling their own phones than one with Nexus branding on it and if Google are pushing the prices down very low like they look like they are going to do then it will certainly worry them that they will have to do the same with their own phones to ensure they sell well.

A million is not really that good after 3 months...I'd expect the iPad Mini to outsell that in it's first week on sale

Not necessarily as manufacturers like Samsung's main source of sales is through carrier subsidised contracts. Looking at the Nexus 4 it's priced very similarly to other devices and not lower at all. If the Google Play sale method really does take off then it may pose more of a threat to Android OEMs, but at the same time it will no doubt boost the profile of Android even more.

Android is still not as established in the tablet market as Apple who at one stage had 93% of the tablet market. But the fact that Android devices now hold 41% of the tablet market suggests that they are making huge strides, and the Nexus 7 is already the best selling Android tablet ever after just 4 months on sale. It may not be at the level of Apple yet who are coming off the back of a monopoly on the tablet market, but it's certainly vastly better than previous Android performance in this market.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The google conference on thursday is really going to confuse my upgrade process! I thought the S3 was a done deal this come Saturday.

Yeah, I have always said if I get an Android phone it would be a Nexus due to faster and more reliable upgrades.
    Forum Member

Don't need to read that ***** all over i5
    Forum Member
    Gormond wrote: »
    Yeah, I have always said if I get an Android phone it would be a Nexus due to faster and more reliable upgrades.

Not withstanding what you have previously said about screen sizes ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not withstanding what you have previously said about screen sizes ;)

Indeed its a massive gamble for me and TBH I wouldn't have thought about it if not for the crazy low price tag.

If i cant get used to it in a month i'm sure the resale value will be good.

My issue ATM is I want a new phone but Apples crazy iPhone 5 price tag totally puts me off and all other smaller phones have shit hardware, I was looking forward to the S3 mini but its worse than an S2.
    Forum Member
    ;) Well how the mighty have fallen eh

Trust me you won't think of going back
  • slick1twoslick1two Posts: 2,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Got this too on offer a while back

Yeah 50gb for free, can't complain!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ;) Well how the mighty have fallen eh

Trust me you won't think of going back

lol I have no loyalty to Apple, I just always found iPhones to be the best for me. Back when I got the iPhone 4 I also tried an HTC Desire and didn't like it, of coarse Android has came a long way since Eclair.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lol I have no loyalty to Apple, I just always found iPhones to be the best for me. Back when I got the iPhone 4 I also tried an HTC Desire and didn't like it, of coarse Android has came a long way since Eclair.

When you looked at Android last then was probably how i've been looking at Lumias recently.

Android might not have the biggest AppStore, but its very mature now. Where as WindowsPhone just doesn't have the AppStore yet, but hopefully will do in a year or too. Then we'll have 3 OS' in the phone market which will be good for everyone, just for the competition.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When you looked at Android last then was probably how i've been looking at Lumias recently.

Android might not have the biggest AppStore, but its very mature now. Where as WindowsPhone just doesn't have the AppStore yet, but hopefully will do in a year or too. Then we'll have 3 OS' in the phone market which will be good for everyone, just for the competition.

Yeah annoyingly I really like the look of the Lumia but the store is missing all the apps and games I use so until they fix that I'm not gonna get one.
    Forum Member

Shock waves in Cupertino :eek:

I actually meant screen size though once you have used bigger nothing else will feel the same.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah annoyingly I really like the look of the Lumia but the store is missing all the apps and games I use so until they fix that I'm not gonna get one.

Exactly the same as how i feel about it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Don't need to read that ***** all over i5

It also seems kinda pointless to compare a device that costs £239 with one at £529.... It even seems silly just typing those numbers!