What does 10km mean on jewellery?

ChibiCandiChibiCandi Posts: 966
Forum Member
✭✭
Bought a pendant from one of those gold shops and it only says 10 km on the hoop of the pendant. It also smells a bit metal-ly but the woman told me they cant sell anything that isnt gold. So what is it?

Comments

• GogfumbleGogfumble Posts: 22,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It means it's poorly marked. 10K or more rarely 10Kt means it is 10/24 gold, roughly 41.6% gold.
    10K is is minimum purity for gold jewellery.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20100621071812AA7bsww
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,547
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You'd have to be a bit more specific about the actual lettering for anyone to know for sure! An uneducated guess of mine would be that its 10k (10 karats <- US spelling), with the m being a manufacturers mark?
  • ChibiCandiChibiCandi Posts: 966
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I kbow, i read that. I just wondered if there were any other answers ;(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It looks just like this 10KM all same size
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anyone else :(?
  • HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ChibiCandi wrote: »

You already had an answer though?

I don't understand people who ask questions on here and then ignore a blatantly correct answer.. as if they are in fantasy land and just expect a different answer to come along.

It means whatever it is is at the minimum purity level, 10K, as previously mentioned. What more do you want it to mean?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

So you "know that", what other answer could you be expecting?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've been officially told off lol. Its fine I guess the gold is just shite then, oh well .
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've been officially told off lol. Its fine I guess the gold is just shite then, oh well .

No, it doesn't mean it's not good. Minimum purity in UK is 9 carat, so yours is a little higher! There's lots of 9 carat gold about too, the most popular I would say, as it's good value and keeps it's shine.
  • hanndavhanndav Posts: 2,809
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All pecious metals sold in the UK MUST have a hallmark (over a minimum weight) 10K or 10KM is not a hallmark nor is it a recognised fineness for gold. If this item has been sold as gold, the shop is breaking the law.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    hanndav wrote: »
    All pecious metals sold in the UK MUST have a hallmark (over a minimum weight) 10K or 10KM is not a hallmark nor is it a recognised fineness for gold. If this item has been sold as gold, the shop is breaking the law.

See. No-one came up with that answer did they?? Thank you hanndav. I do quite like it but now im having second thoughts.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hanndav wrote: »

10K IS a standard hallmark. The American way of spelling carat is KARAT, thus it is abbreviated to K. Do you really think that they smelt the ring, and make a new ring because of a hallmark?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Joey_M wrote: »
    10K IS a standard hallmark. The American way of spelling carat is KARAT, thus it is abbreviated to K.

It doesnt explain the 'm'. I didnt mention the pendant is a counterfeit designer logo.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If it's counterfeit, then you have your answer immediately, it's probably been stamped like that by whoever made it to make it seem real to the American market. It's almost certainly fake gold.
    If you're in any doubt, you could take it to a reputable jeweller and ask them whether they think it's real or not.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If it's counterfeit, then you have your answer immediately, it's probably been stamped like that by whoever made it to make it seem real to the American market. It's almost certainly fake gold.
    If you're in any doubt, you could take it to a reputable jeweller and ask them whether they think it's real or not.

Yeah. Theres a jeweller nearby so might ask them. Or just go and get a refund since if i mention its illegal they wont ask questions lol. Thanks everyone :)
  • GogfumbleGogfumble Posts: 22,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So the pendant is a fake designer logo?

That makes it illegal to sell as it is, whether or not it is real gold.

don't suppose you will divulge how much you paid for it, will you?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gogfumble wrote: »
    So the pendant is a fake designer logo?

That makes it illegal to sell as it is, whether or not it is real gold.

don't suppose you will divulge how much you paid for it, will you?

Nahi dont mind. It was 17.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hmm I'm having second thoughts. I tried that test where you rub jewellery against unglazed pottery to see if it leaves a gold streak, if it does it's gold and there is a gold streak. Does this mean it's real?

Edit: ah, but the ring for the pendant leaves a black mark. Screw it, I'm just going to take the thing back.
  • BedlemBedlem Posts: 2,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    10K IS a standard hallmark. The American way of spelling carat is KARAT, thus it is abbreviated to K. Do you really think that they smelt the ring, and make a new ring because of a hallmark?

You're wrong. Try going to a jewellers that pawns gold with something that isn't UK hallmarked or doesn't meet the Hallmarking Act and they will tell you they can't take it. I know this because I tried to pawn a gold bracelet that was purchased in America years ago and they said they couldn't possibly pawn it as they wouldn't be able to sell it if I didn't make the repayment.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bedlem wrote: »
    You're wrong. Try going to a jewellers that pawns gold with something that isn't UK hallmarked or doesn't meet the Hallmarking Act and they will tell you they can't take it. I know this because I tried to pawn a gold bracelet that was purchased in America years ago and they said they couldn't possibly pawn it as they wouldn't be able to sell it if I didn't make the repayment.

UPDATE: Spoke to them, they said because I signed their little contract thing it says no refunds or exchanges. They said they could sell 10 ct gold, I said I thought it was only supposed to be in 9,22,24 etc but they said it was okay. He said the M must be a date letter but on the poster for the hallmarks it was a small m not a capital M. I'm basically fuming because I'm sure you guys are right in that it's not allowed but if I can't prove it then I'm stuffed. I'm going to upload a picture of the hallmark shortly.
  • BerBer Posts: 24,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When you say "it was 17" I take it you mean £17? You already knew it was counterfeit so what exactly were you expecting it to be made of for that money?

I don't see what the problem is - if you like it then why are you thinking about taking it back?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ber wrote: »
    When you say "it was 17" I take it you mean £17? You already knew it was counterfeit so what exactly were you expecting it to be made of for that money?

I don't see what the problem is - if you like it then why are you thinking about taking it back?

Even if it was counterfeit it should still be made of something espicially if a pawn shop is selling it. Counterfeit or no counterfeit.
  • BerBer Posts: 24,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Even if it was counterfeit it should still be made of something espicially if a pawn shop is selling it. Counterfeit or no counterfeit.

Its made from 10K gold - which you were perfectly happy with when you brought it not actually knowing what it meant!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ber wrote: »
    Its made from 10K gold - which you were perfectly happy with when you brought it not actually knowing what it meant!

Yes but this doesnt explain the M. Does it?