Gloria FandangoGloria Fandango Posts: 3,834
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Aww, how sad. RIP Richard.:(

Comments

• littlebootieslittlebooties Posts: 2,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I loved his work from Roobarb and Custard to Ever Decreasing Cirlces. Sadly never got to see him in the theatre.

RIP Mr Briers. Thank you for all the giggles.
  • spookyLXspookyLX Posts: 11,730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    RIP I thought he was great in Monarch of the Glen
  • rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would like to offer my condolences to the family and friends of Richard Briers. I loved his voiceover work on TV and radio shows, especially Alan Bennett's radio version of Wind in the Willows. May he rest in peace.
  • Theo_BearTheo_Bear Posts: 997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Now being reported on the BBC website. A very sad loss.

RIP Richard
  • Eddie BadgerEddie Badger Posts: 6,005
    Forum Member
    Very sad, he always brightened up everything he appeared in.
  • dee123dee123 Posts: 46,195
    Forum Member
    spookyLX wrote: »

I secretly loved that show when i was a teenager.
  • SaigoSaigo Posts: 7,893
    Forum Member
    :(

There was always something very appealing about him, always came across as a nice chap and had a very distinctive voice. The Good Life is still a cosy classic!
  • jerseyporterjerseyporter Posts: 2,332
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What sad news. A lovely man in real life, by all accounts, who has not shown one ounce of self-pity for his plight, but in complete contrast to many people today (including some 'zeleb stars') he has taken complete responsibility for his smoking-related illness (no "I'll sue them for not warning me" nonsense, for a start). R.I.P. Richard Briers - you gave much pleasure to many, and watching old episodes of 'The Good Life' will be all the more poignant now that both of its two leading men are sadly no longer with us. :(:cry:
  • TracerTongTracerTong Posts: 3,784
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RIP Richard

You gave us some cracking TV.
    Loved The Good Life, Ever Decreasing Circles and Roobarb :)

One of the best voices on TV
  • Saltydog1955Saltydog1955 Posts: 4,134
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sad news. RIP Richard. :(
    I grew up watching him in Marriage Lines with Prunella Scales.

A last bittersweet piece here with Prunella. A fitting tribute to a nice man and an excellent performer.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2271496/Richard-Briers-battling-chronic-lung-disease--lifelong-friend-Prunella-Scales-shocking-confession-own.html
  • spookyLXspookyLX Posts: 11,730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dee123 wrote: »
    I secretly loved that show when i was a teenager.

I have re watched that show all the way thru quite a few times on netflix :o
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,062
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Very sad. Great actor and he will be missed.
  • IphigeniaIphigenia Posts: 8,109
    Forum Member
    Sad news.

I hope we'll get reruns of Ever Decreasing Circles rather than the frequently rerun Good Life. Loved GL in its day but EDC had more bite.
  • Fear of FoursFear of Fours Posts: 1,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Very sad news. I was only reading an interview with him and Prunella Scales the other week. I've watched the complete Good Life box set about three times in the last year and it never fails to make me laugh. Maybe he's up there somewhere with Paul Eddington laughing about the good old days. R.I.P.
  • Deb ArkleDeb Arkle Posts: 12,584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Iphigenia wrote: »
    Sad news.

I hope we'll get reruns of Ever Decreasing Circles rather than the frequently rerun Good Life. Loved GL in its day but EDC had more bite.

Absolutely agree, Iphigenia - one of my favourite episodes was the one where he was tricked into thinking he'd been unfaithful while working abroad, it was hilarious but sad all at the same time! :D
    R.I.P. Richard.
  • FlukieFlukie Posts: 40,578
    Forum Member
    Very sad. The end of an era.

So many different decades he appeared in. I've been loving listening to his 'Two pipe problem' series on the radio with Stanley Baxter. The latest one was only last year.

And his Jeeves and Wooster serie on the radio from 70's (I think) are classics and hilarious.
    Doctor in the House series from 1971.

And that's just three radio series!

Thanks for the millions of laughs, Richard. You're a Star.

And yes, Tom and Jerry reunited again.
    And with those names it's very fitting. :)
  • lolacolalolacola Posts: 114
    Forum Member
    Nothing better than a Sunday afternoon when it's raining, feet up, hot water bottle and watching The Good life. There was something very safe about him. He'll be sadly missed.
  • petebluepeteblue Posts: 445
    Forum Member
    Very sad news. A fine actor and genuine nice guy. RIP Richard
  • WeetibixWeetibix Posts: 1,124
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RIP a sad loss
  • zummigummizummigummi Posts: 320
    Forum Member
    spookyLX wrote: »

Me too that was my fave Sunday night TV show of all time, such wonderful comedy and chemistry between the cast. It was never the same after Hector was blown up at the end of Series 3. He & Susan Hampshire worked so well together.

RIP Richard you will be missed.:(
  • DormouseDormouse Posts: 590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Knew him a little when he was a neighbour of mine some years ago. What you saw was what you got - absolutely lovely, charming, kind, friendly man. Very, very funny too.

RIP.
  • lux lisbon 2lux lisbon 2 Posts: 6,273
    Forum Member
    Aww, RIP Richard, always loved his sitcoms growing up.
  • stvn758stvn758 Posts: 19,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shame. :(
  • FlukieFlukie Posts: 40,578
    Forum Member
    I think a glass of finest peapod burgundy should be raised today in toast for a great actor who left us with lots of laughs and pleasure. :)

And be careful it doesn't blow your eyeballs out! :D