Cricket World T20 on Sky Sports

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,486
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Any idea who the 'host' broadcaster is?

Not impressed with any aspect of their coverage to date.

Sky Sports must be tearing their hair out - having to rely on another broadcaster for that feed.

Awful commentators.

Awful split-screen gimmicks as the bowler is bowling.

And the picture quality absolutely diabolical - constant interference & loss of signal on many occasions - all within the first 20 mins.

Comments

• LOSGLOSG Posts: 2,724
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ESPN Star
  • Ginger DaddyGinger Daddy Posts: 8,507
    Forum Member
    Surely Sky would have to rely on another broadcaster anyway, given the event is happening in Sri Lanka. I doubt Sky Sports have ever supplied the coverage for an event that far away before, I recall the logistical challenge it took for Sky cover one football match in Moscow, cant imagine what it would it entail for a two week (?) event on an island south of India!

EDIT - actually Sky used to be the "host broadcaster" for the Las Vegas Desert Classic (darts) although it was never done in HD, I recall.
  • JamSirJamSir Posts: 1,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ESPN Star Sports were awarded the ICC television rights for the period from 2007 to 2015.

ESPN Star Sports is a joint venture between Disney's ESPN and News Corporation's Star Sports.

So I'm afraid Sky Sports have to grumble quietly on this occasion, as the worldwide coverage is being produced by another part of the Murdoch broadcast empire.

Details of the worldwide coverage on the World T20 is here:
    http://www.espnstar.com/cricket/icc-world-t20/news/detail/item855283/ICC-WT20-set-to-break-broadcast-records/
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Of course, ESPN Star is the Indian broadcaster

Sadly they rely on gimmicky presentation with sub-standard commentators.

Hoping Nasser, Atherton or Bumble have made it onto their rota, because I dont think I can take much more of Wasim Akram (great cricket, awful awful commentator)!

I guess we are spoiled with Sky Sports superb production & presentation.

I suppose it is 'only' for 17 days!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hussain and Bumble are on the commentary team. Atherton will be a regular in the Sky Studio alongside Nick Knight.
    Forum Member
    Any idea who the 'host' broadcaster is?

Not impressed with any aspect of their coverage to date.

Sky Sports must be tearing their hair out - having to rely on another broadcaster for that feed.

Awful commentators.

Awful split-screen gimmicks as the bowler is bowling.

And the picture quality absolutely diabolical - constant interference & loss of signal on many occasions - all within the first 20 mins.

How are you watching it already, doesnt it start tomorrow????
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How are you watching it already, doesnt it start tomorrow????

There is a warm up game on at the moment. India v Pakistan.
    Forum Member
    LOSG wrote: »
    There is a warm up game on at the moment. India v Pakistan.

Ah right I see.

Just checked and even though it starts tomorrow, warm-up games carry on until Wednesday which seems a bit odd.

You wouldnt get football teams still playing warm-up games the day after the FIFA World Cup starts :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LOSG wrote: »
    Hussain and Bumble are on the commentary team. Atherton will be a regular in the Sky Studio alongside Nick Knight.

In an ideal world, we'd have the Sky team supply the commentators, but ESPN Star want to keep a billion of Indian fans/sponsors happy I guess, which means sub-standard commentators whose only qualification for the role is that they could play cricket once upon a time - and the fact that they are useless at conveying what goes on, on the pitch is not really an issue for them!

Thats why I love BBC TMS - no flash names, just solid reliable, professional broadcasters!
  • Sven945Sven945 Posts: 4,217
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are there any UK FTA highlights? I'm assuming no...
  • The WandererThe Wanderer Posts: 5,238
    Forum Member
    Sven945 wrote: »
    Are there any UK FTA highlights? I'm assuming no...

No, the only World T20 that ever had highlights was the 2009 tournament which wasin England
  • Sven945Sven945 Posts: 4,217
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Okay cool, cheers.

(P.S. Test Match Sofa will be covering every match in audio form).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 816
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ESS do a decent job. I think the split-screen is quite good and more than just a gimmick.

The commentary group isn't too bad - as ever there are some average commentators, but also plenty of good ones (Ramiz, Nasser, Bumble in particular).

I'm not sure about Sky's studio - the desk looks oversized and the background behind the pundits is a bit bland. Hopefully they'll modify as the tournament goes on.

Looks like Sky's coverage will be similar to the 2011 World Cup. Ian Ward, Paul Allott and Charles Colvile are the studio hosts, with Colvile doing the preview show tonight and I would expect him to mostly do the prime-time highlights when the tournament starts. Matt Floyd is out in Sri Lanka following England (the job that Ian Ward did during the '09 World Cup).

Mike Atherton and Nick Knight will be the main pundits, but I'd expect the usual crew of overseas pundits (Ian Harvey, Jeremy Coney, Colin Croft) to feature as well as other Sky faces like Mark Butcher, Robert Croft, Rob Key and Dominic Cork. Perhaps they'll have Kyle McCallan for the Ireland games again.
  • BhaveshgorBhaveshgor Posts: 9,312
    Forum Member
    I Find it very odd that Shastri and Gavaskar are not included in commentary, especially considering they have a special contract with the BCCI, but i have a feeling that BCCI have canceled this contract with them, Shastri and Gavaskar was also not commentating in the sri lanka series, and Gavaskar has recently started criticizing BCCI
    http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/sports/cricket/top-stories/My-faith-in-BCCI-has-been-shaken-Sunil-Gavaskar/articleshow/11096208.cms
    these are the commentator for this world cup.
    Sourav Ganguly, Sanjay Manjrekar, Nasser Hussain, Wasim Akram, Ramiz Raja, Tony Greig, Ian Chappell, Mark Waugh, Russell Arnold, Ian Bishop, Pommie Mbangwa, Damien Fleming, Simon Doull, David Lloyd, Harsha Bhogle and Alan Wilkins.
    not a bad list of commentators, the only criticism i can think of his that this list includes one south African commentator less, tony greig is the only south african in the list, but he will probably commentate in the Australia/Sri lanka and Pakistan games.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sourav Ganguly, Sanjay Manjrekar, Nasser Hussain, Wasim Akram, Ramiz Raja, Tony Greig, Ian Chappell, Mark Waugh, Russell Arnold, Ian Bishop, Pommie Mbangwa, Damien Fleming, Simon Doull, David Lloyd, Harsha Bhogle and Alan Wilkins.

Some real stinkers there. No idea how Mark Waugh gets into this list.

Clearly they go by name, not ability to communicate
    Forum Member

Some real stinkers there. No idea how Mark Waugh gets into this list.

Clearly they go by name, not ability to communicate

Akram, Wilkins works for ESPN Star, so they were guaranteed to commentate, Russel arnold is pretty much the only sri lankan commentator that can speak English fluently, Ramiz raja isn't my favorite pakistani commentator but other people do rate that guy, Pommie is representing Zimbabwe and south africa, with simon doull representing new zealand, don't think new zealand as any good commentators.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bhaveshgor wrote: »
    Akram, Wilkins works for ESPN Star, so they were guaranteed to commentate, Russel arnold is pretty much the only sri lankan commentator that can speak English fluently, Ramiz raja isn't my favorite pakistani commentator but other people do rate that guy, Pommie is representing Zimbabwe and south africa, with simon doull representing new zealand, don't think new zealand as any good commentators.

Problem is that these guys arent very articulate. Simon is Dull! Pommie just makes a lot of noise without saying anything of substance. Ramiz Raja is the 'King of the Cliche' & Russel Arnold squeaks his way through matches.

If you try to make the commentators the same race/origin of the teams, you end up with brilliant commentators at home doing studio analysis!
  • tim456tim456 Posts: 137
    Forum Member
    shelsey93 wrote: »
    I'm not sure about Sky's studio - the desk looks oversized and the background behind the pundits is a bit bland. Hopefully they'll modify as the tournament goes on.
    Sky's studio for this tournament is awful. The preview program this evening was good. Not sure it needed three hours though.
  • SteSte Posts: 1,710
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Problem is that these guys arent very articulate. Simon is Dull! Pommie just makes a lot of noise without saying anything of substance. Ramiz Raja is the 'King of the Cliche' & Russel Arnold squeaks his way through matches.

That isnt fair on Pommie Mbangwa who is very articulate and a good presenter and commentator.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They had the warm up games to iron out the technical gremlins

Appears they havent learnt a thing

Game 1 - and they keep getting horrible interference & loss of pictures/sound

Sky wont be happy - they arent used to dealing with amateurs!
  • arsenalsriarsenalsri Posts: 153
    Forum Member
    They had the warm up games to iron out the technical gremlins

Appears they havent learnt a thing

Game 1 - and they keep getting horrible interference & loss of pictures/sound

Sky wont be happy - they arent used to dealing with amateurs!

It is not as if this is the first time that sky are dealing with them. ESPN Star Sports produced the 2007 & 2011 ODI world cup, the 2007, 2009 (the one in England), 2010 and now the 2012 T20 World cup. They will also be the host broadcasters for the ICC Champions Trophy happening here in England next in the summer of 2013.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    arsenalsri wrote: »
    It is not as if this is the first time that sky are dealing with them. ESPN Star Sports produced the 2007 & 2011 ODI world cup, the 2007, 2009 (the one in England), 2010 and now the 2012 T20 World cup. They will also be the host broadcasters for the ICC Champions Trophy happening here in England next in the summer of 2013.

Well someone in Sri Lanka needs to pull their finger out & sort out the technical issues.

I know they wont care too much in the subcontinent where shoddy presentation & production values are the norm, but in Eng/Aus etc, we pay top dollar to have to watch these events, and would like to to do so ideally from the start of the tournament!
  • jazzydrury3jazzydrury3 Posts: 27,067
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Coverage was poor, didnt think the National Anthems were ever gonna finish
    Forum Member
    Coverage was poor, didnt think the National Anthems were ever gonna finish

shocked, really ESPN Star sports coverage is usually really good, is it ESPN fault or the sri lankan Feed peoples fault.
    Forum Member
    Well someone in Sri Lanka needs to pull their finger out & sort out the technical issues.

I know they wont care too much in the subcontinent where shoddy presentation & production values are the norm, but in Eng/Aus etc, we pay top dollar to have to watch these events, and would like to to do so ideally from the start of the tournament!

I would imagine that when the event is in the UK it would more or less be all Sky staff doing it anyway, just subcontracted.