what to do with your old CRT tv

well for one thing keep it. especially a 14 inch portable because in about 6 months time to govt will announce new local tv channels and they will just happen tobe on the old frequencies used by the BBC and ITV channels..
From 2013 there will be anumber of local annologue tv channels in most large cities.includeing london/manchester/liverpool and birmingham (note scotland may decide not to support this as they are likely to have a seperate govt soon in 2014).
Local tv will just be that TV localto you includeing amateur and semi pro and charity stations .
Its likely that there will be avaliable tuners for your mobilephone so yu can watch on the move too

Comments

• Stevie_DonaldStevie_Donald Posts: 394
    Forum Member
    well for one thing keep it. especially a 14 inch portable because in about 6 months time to govt will announce new local tv channels and they will just happen tobe on the old frequencies used by the BBC and ITV channels..
    From 2013 there will be anumber of local annologue tv channels in most large cities.includeing london/manchester/liverpool and birmingham (note scotland may decide not to support this as they are likely to have a seperate govt soon in 2014).
    Local tv will just be that TV localto you includeing amateur and semi pro and charity stations .
    Its likely that there will be avaliable tuners for your mobilephone so yu can watch on the move too

Not according to the current polls it won't
  • fmradiotuner1fmradiotuner1 Posts: 20,476
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You could do this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obM2eCAlH44

skip to

1.07 for best bit
  • 2Bdecided2Bdecided Posts: 4,416
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The new local TV channels are digital, not analogue.
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Two things wrong in this.

The local TV services are digital.
    The UHF channels previously occupied by BBC and ITV (as well as C4/5) were taken over by the digital TV multiplexes at DSO for each transmitter.

http://stakeholders.ofcom.org.uk/consultations/local-tv/statement
  • MartinteaMartintea Posts: 163
    Forum Member
    I`d take mine down the tip...if I could move it :-)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,856
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If ir works, has a Scart and instructions, donate your CRT TV
    http://www.recyclenow.com/what_can_i_do_today/bhf_reuse.html

If you have a good STB or PVR or connects to a DVD Player keep using your CRT TV as a monitor with speakers and maybe a Headphone socket.
  • steven123steven123 Posts: 3,237
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

There is no way more analogue stations would be launched at this stage and considering all the effort and time it has taken to get everyone off analogue! But even supposing some community/charity/pirate TV station somehow managed to launch on analogue, why would you need an old 14 inch CRT to receive it? Virtually all modern LCDs, Plasmas, LED etc still have analogue tuners so would be equally fine for tuning into these imaginary analogue broadcasts. :D

Still I do like the idea of local TV stations, would be nice just to have some new and original programming which these stations might just provide, hope we start to see these soon.
  • steven123steven123 Posts: 3,237
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sue_Aitch wrote: »
    If ir works, has a Scart and instructions, donate your CRT TV
    http://www.recyclenow.com/what_can_i_do_today/bhf_reuse.html

If you have a good STB or PVR or connects to a DVD Player keep using your CRT TV as a monitor with speakers and maybe a Headphone socket.

Seconded, I used the British Heart Foundation for an old 32 inch CRT and an old CRT PC monitor, was very easy to arrange and they did all the lifting too, a stress free solution plus you know it is going to a good cause, so win, win scenario really. :)
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,329
    Forum Member
    steven123 wrote: »
    Still I do like the idea of local TV stations, would be nice just to have some new and original programming which these stations might just provide, hope we start to see these soon.

As usual, large cities only though :(

I suspect such stations won't last very long either?.
  • Peter the GreatPeter the Great Posts: 14,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As usual, large cities only though :(

I suspect such stations won't last very long either?.
    Not only large cities though. Some of the proposals are for small towns! Which I cant see will be successful. The town I live in Basingstoke has been named as a proposal which I can't see being workable. Fo starters the freeview transmitters are in Hannington which covers a huge part of Berkshire and North Hampshire. Also just like most smaller towns we look we are going to be losing our local radio station so how a local TV station can be successful I don't know?
  • SpotSpot Posts: 25,118
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm stil using all CRTs and hope to continue doing so for quite a while.
  • D.PageD.Page Posts: 1,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If it works, I'd keep it! CRTs generally give a better picture with standard definition material. Like the previous contributor, I still use them (for watching SD material).
  • Robert__lawRobert__law Posts: 1,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not according to the current polls it won't

I don't believe these polls at the last Scottish election all the poles claimed Labour was going to win -result an historic SNP victory ! don't trust the press as its all anti Scottish Independence
  • Martin PhillpMartin Phillp Posts: 34,659
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm still using two CRT's in my household, although I have a HD Freeview USB stick to watch tv through my desktop pc.
  • TenesmusTenesmus Posts: 463
    Forum Member
    I tried to charity my 36" Toshiba but they didn't want to know. So I got £40 for it on eBay and a couple of blokes drove 100 miles in a burger van to collect it.
  • SoundboxSoundbox Posts: 6,240
    Forum Member
    Heart Foundation, Aylesbury sells them - they have a wall rack all CRT and they sell too. Also VCR's and Laserdisc.
  • David (2)David (2) Posts: 20,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tenesmus wrote: »
    I tried to charity my 36" Toshiba but they didn't want to know. So I got £40 for it on eBay and a couple of blokes drove 100 miles in a burger van to collect it.

The ironic thing is, they prolly paid more in fuel than the tv's worth.
  • pfb5pfb5 Posts: 20
    Forum Member
    David (2) wrote: »
    The ironic thing is, they prolly paid more in fuel than the tv's worth.

Ah, but seeing the people that run burger vans round here, they probably exported a container-load back to Africa/India/Pakistan/Turkey and made a profit!
    :)
  • jjnejjne Posts: 6,580
    Forum Member
    It is a myth that CRT TVs are valueless.

They aren't worth much, and the 4:3 sets are worth much less than the widescreen TVs, but they are worth a nominal amount.

28" widescreen TVs typically fetch around £10-15 on ebay, with the 32" ones going for a little more and the big 36" brutes going for £30-40.

Granted, the 14" portables are doing well to sell for more than a pound but then the 15" LCD TVs don't sell for all that much more than that...

These aren't completely disastrous figures. When a 32" LCD TV sells brand-new for £150, and second-hand ones rarely fetch more than £80-90, £30-40 for a CRT of more or less the same viewable picture size, which lacks HDMI, Freeview or any resolution above 576i doesn't seem so bad to me.

Having said that, when you can buy a brand-new, graded cheapo 26" full-HD TV for £70, why on Earth would you want to keep an old 28" CRT going?

I have a very nice 36" Panasonic in the back room, and I've been reluctant to get rid of it as it cost £1000 new and is a very good TV. However I now have a spare 32" Cello LCD which is cluttering up the place, and the prospect of being able to nail it to the wall and forget about it, freeing up space, is compelling. The fact that the Panny's picture is better than the Cello's is immaterial -- it doesn't get used often enough to matter.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why on Earth would I want to keep an old CRT going?

CRT vs LCD/LED/Plasma for sound?
    For me, the CRT wins. Seems to me that the expectation with the newer sets is you need at least a soundbar to get good sound out of them.

4:3 CRT vs 16:9 Widescreen CRT or newer for picture for DTT SD pictures?
    Actually I don't mind the 4:3 Letterbox setting on my Freeview+ boxes: I get a 22" screen experience (24" for 4:3) PQ is clear and crisp.
    Footprint of CRT vs LCD?
    Even here the CRT wins: in tied accommodation I only put things on the wall if I can leave them there! On the top of a good equipment rack holding two Freeview+ Recorders and a Blu Ray player the CRT is sturdy and verty hard to topple.

Yes I know I don't have HDTV, but the Smart apps on the player are good.

Altogether that corner of the living room is the TV Entertanment equivalent of the kitchen range.

Short answer: £70 can go on something else.
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,329
    Forum Member
    jjne wrote: »
    It is a myth that CRT TVs are valueless.

They aren't worth much, and the 4:3 sets are worth much less than the widescreen TVs, but they are worth a nominal amount.

28" widescreen TVs typically fetch around £10-15 on ebay, with the 32" ones going for a little more and the big 36" brutes going for £30-40.

You can always find an occasional idiot on Ebay who will buy any old crap, but is selling a28" for £10 worth the bother? (assuming you can fins anyone daft enough to).

From the point of view of the trade, we can't give them away.
  • jack pattersonjack patterson Posts: 1,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The trouble is the flats screens don't seem to last five minutes and then you have to get another one.
    So actually I do miss my old CRT merrily beaming out for 10 or more years.
    HD or not these days, the picture I am sure was better on my old CRT and of course movement was more natural.
  • pfb5pfb5 Posts: 20
    Forum Member
    Sue_Aitch has a point - in my 1960's house with an alcove by the fireplace, a flat screen TV doesn't sit well, especially given the rectangular DVD player and PVR that sit beneath it.

At least a CRT would fill the corner! I'm not sure that hanging a modern TV on the wall over the mantelpiece would be quite right. If good quality CRT's are so cheap, maybe I should go back to one, after all, I watch everything through the PVR anyway...... food for thought.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's a BHF Electrical and Furniture store in Southampton:)
  • mlayzellmlayzell Posts: 446
    Forum Member
    pfb5 wrote: »
    Sue_Aitch has a point - in my 1960's house with an alcove by the fireplace, a flat screen TV doesn't sit well, especially given the rectangular DVD player and PVR that sit beneath it.

At least a CRT would fill the corner! I'm not sure that hanging a modern TV on the wall over the mantelpiece would be quite right. If good quality CRT's are so cheap, maybe I should go back to one, after all, I watch everything through the PVR anyway...... food for thought.

Remember CRT's are second hand, so it is a chance you take with that, no warranty, probably nobody wants to repair them either!

Domestic CRT's TV's are a dead technology in this country, so look forward and not backwards!