The Digital Spy Apprentice Series 4: Task Announcement Thread

Comments

• fireemblemcrazefireemblemcraze Posts: 7,436
    Forum Member
    xKatieLx wrote: »
    To be fair though personal life takes priority over a forum game. If something has happened in your life to the point you can't commit to a game what's the point in continuing? Zak quitting allowed his whole team to survive so they shouldn't be upset over it. I'm not sure what he's going through nor is it my place to speculate but I still feel he was right to quit if circumstances in his personal life have affected the game as personal life should take priority.

Well done to all the candidates for surviving the boardroom. :D

Edit: Never mind spoke too soon, sorry to see you go Stacey. :(

No one is upset Katie actually. If anything I'm upset that Zak can't still be with us. Of course personal life should be given priority so Zak made the right choice in the end. And it may have happened suddenly too. I'm just a bit disappointed he did not give us notice especially being a person who had to do a lot by themselves again at the last minute; it is not something you should do on any team regardless of what the nature of the competition is as people are relying on you. But at the same time as someone who knows that he has had many stressful days, I did think it was fair enough and that's why I didn't say anything about it until Niall also said he felt that way.

And that's a long while away. Time to go soak some sun. :cool: Oh yes and well done to David for being a great advisor! :D I'm enjoying the advisor cameos. <3
  • xKatieLxxKatieLx Posts: 4,400
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No one is upset Katie actually. If anything I'm upset that Zak can't still be with us. Of course personal life should be given priority so Zak made the right choice in the end. And it may have happened suddenly too. I'm just a bit disappointed he did not give us notice especially being a person who had to do a lot by themselves again at the last minute; it is not something you should do on any team regardless of what the nature of the competition is as people are relying on you. But at the same time as someone who knows that he has had many stressful days, I did think it was fair enough and that's why I didn't say anything about it until Niall also said he felt that way.

And that's a long while away. Time to go soak some sun. :cool: Oh yes and well done to David for being a great advisor! :D I'm enjoying the advisor cameos. <3
    I said that no one should get upset over it not anyone once sorry if that other post was badly worded. I don't really think it's our place to say though. When I dropped out after a friend of mine died and an ex-candidate posted a rant about me dropping out at the end of the task and saying I was wrong for doing it I was pretty irritated. Obviously the circumstances with Zak might be totally different but I still think situations like that have to take priority over a game. Well done David as well. :)
  • _NiallDEE__NiallDEE_ Posts: 13,584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I just want to say I wasn't annoyed with the fact that Zak quitting, even though people quitting in DSA is a hindrance, obviously personal life takes priority and we have to accept that. It was moreso the way he went about it, it would have been easier if he could have at least stayed to the end of the task but if that wasn't possible it would have still been easier if we could have just held off the announcement to the boardroom, and therefore we could have just put it in place of a firing. I did ask Zak for this to happen, he blatantly saw it but chose to ignore it and post on the thread instead. From his role as advisor last year he would know full well how much this would mess up the game so it was disappointing that he chose to do it this way. As I said before, he would have been fired if he hadn't quit so it wasn't a convenience to his team at all, I just prevented it from being an inconvenience even further by not firing any of them. I hope I didn't come across too strong in the boardroom, and I do reiterate that I wish Zak well and hope everything's okay with him, but I was annoyed :p
  • SatanelSatanel Posts: 11,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    xKatieLx wrote: »
    To be fair though personal life takes priority over a forum game. If something has happened in your life to the point you can't commit to a game what's the point in continuing? Zak quitting allowed his whole team to survive so they shouldn't be upset over it. I'm not sure what he's going through nor is it my place to speculate but I still feel he was right to quit if circumstances in his personal life have affected the game as personal life should take priority.

Well done to all the candidates for surviving the boardroom. :D

Edit: Never mind spoke too soon, sorry to see you go Stacey. :(

Thank you so much, Katie.

For someone to say they're "disappointed" in me for pulling out a forum game when my mother is really ill is both pathetic and nauseating; I frankly had a lot more to worry about than some game. "Due to Zak's leaving, there will be no firing this week" - how hard is it to say that? But no, Zak leaving DSA has caused a cataclysmic catastrophe in all our lives... please.

I suggest you all rethink what you type before you post it.

Good luck everyone.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 156
    Forum Member
    I hope she gets better soon, Zak. My thoughts are with you. x3
  • george.millmangeorge.millman Posts: 8,628
    Forum Member
    Satanel wrote: »

For someone to say they're "disappointed" in me for pulling out a forum game when my mother is really ill is both pathetic and nauseating; I frankly had a lot more to worry about than some game. "Due to Zak's leaving, there will be no firing this week" - how hard is it to say that? But no, Zak leaving DSA has caused a cataclysmic catastrophe in all our lives... please.

Good luck everyone.

I think it's possible to understand Niall's frustrations, even if you did do the right thing. I think everyone is aware that things are difficult for you and that pulling out was your only option - everyone who has said anything about it has conceded that some things have to take priority over this game. I myself have spoken to Niall privately about commitments that I have this summer, and have said that I will only continue to take part if the game doesn't clash with certain things that I am doing as I'm not going to commit to something that I cannot give my all to. In your case, pulling out was clearly a necessary thing, and I don't think that anyone will deny that. I think what people are a bit upset about is the fact that you announced it in the middle of the task, and that messed things up for a few people. I think people would have preferred it if you'd waited for Niall to announce it to give him time to get some things in order, even if you hadn't contributed much in the meantime. Having said that, I can totally understand why you did it in the way that you did, because you have a good reason for pulling out and staying in the game and not contributing could potentially harm your reputation - I absolutely swear by that, as I myself cannot stand to be part of something without contributing to it myself, and if people thought I was just being lazy when I wasn't it's something that I really object to. It's a case-by-case basis - some people thought that you could have handled things slightly differently, but ultimately you did what you needed to, and I certainly don't have any hard feelings against you. I doubt anyone does. I don't think that anyone sees it as the 'cataclysmic catastrophe' in the way that it has maybe come across to you.

You and your mother are in everyone's thoughts, may she recover soon in the best of health.
  • SatanelSatanel Posts: 11,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh I love Niall, him being a little flustered is perfectly understandable. I didn't even think about it properly because my first thought was to just get out of the game so that my team could take initiative and do the work themselves.

It was the 'disappointed' comment that got on my nerves.

Also, Stacey's 'unjust' comment was brilliant.
  • Strictly_IrishStrictly_Irish Posts: 18,757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anyway.

Firstly congratulations on the deserved win Aptitude, definitely the right outcome. As a team there were a few conflicts and bad feelings towards each other but nothing that really got in the way of the task at hand. Overall, a very active and dedicated team, despite the mess when it came to posting the finished product.

Steve - As a project manager, you weren't great. You just seemed to go along with things rather than leading anything. However, as a team member you were fine. But you can't go through every week just being passable. What I'd really like to see from you is some drive and passion to win. It seems like you don't really care. You give yourself a hard time but I think you have it in you to make it further than you think. Not as bad a showing for you as you made out, although you were mentioned as the worst member of the team by at least one other candidate. Congrats on the PM win.

Iain - Probably the strongest member of the team for me. This is my first time seeing you in action and I have to say I was impressed. Plenty of involvement and drive to do well in the task. You were hard working, usually talking in the chat until late and you gave plenty of feedback and ideas as well. Don't be hard on yourself for joining two weeks late, you won't be treated any differently when it comes to firing/hiring. Just keep going the way you are.

Arran - Much stronger than the last time I followed your team. You were around a lot more and weren't afraid to speak your mind, which is admirable considering a lot of people go along with ideas just so they can throw the blame elsewhere when it comes down to responsibility. Your team was 50/50 about you, with one member naming you as the strongest and another naming you as the worst. Try not to let emotions get in the way of the task. You're doing well.

Naruto - Again, someone I've seen a huge improvement from, not just from this series but from the last two series. I admire your dedication and you do work hard. You still feel a little in the background from me. It's a cliche but I don't think you've had your defining moment yet and I do think it'll happen. You were an important member of the team this task and you and Iain in particular worked well together.

Stacey - :cry:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

For someone to say they're "disappointed" in me for pulling out a forum game when my mother is really ill is both pathetic and nauseating; I frankly had a lot more to worry about than some game. "Due to Zak's leaving, there will be no firing this week" - how hard is it to say that? But no, Zak leaving DSA has caused a cataclysmic in all our lives... please.

Good luck everyone.

I never once said I was dissapointed in you for quitting, obviously you have very valid reasons for doing so and I sincerely hope your mother is able to recover. What I did say was that I was disappointed in the way you quit as it did seem a bit cheeky to ignore what I was saying to you and make that post. Even if waiting till the boardroom to make the announcement wouldn't have been a possibility (although I'm not really sure why it wouldn't be?) it still would have been better to have properly discussed it with us before making that post. It did put is in a tricky situation, which I'm pretty sure you would have known due to previously being an advisor which was why we were annoyed, but luckily it was salvageable. I didn't want to immediately cancel the firing as it would have rendered the task and boardroom pointless, which isn't really fair when you consider lots of people put a lot of work into this task. I do apologise if I came across too strongly and maybe in retrospect 'dissapointed' was the wrong word to use considering the circumstances, but I didn't think it would have been right to have left the matter without saying anything.
  • fireemblemcrazefireemblemcraze Posts: 7,436
    Forum Member

Good luck everyone.

I think you're referring to me here. Either way I am so sorry to hear that Zak and I apologise if my post came across like that. As a person who had some serious personal circumstances during a game where someone said 'who cares' to it which I found a bit hurtful, I understand how you may feel. However I just want to clarify, I never once said I was disappointed with the fact that you quit in the first place. In fact on a number of occasions I said it was definitely the right thing to do. What I was disappointed with was how you went about it as others have said as we had organised a collaboration on some of the points and I was only told that you had quit at midnight essentially, and I ended up having to work till late in the night while having something important to do in the morning. I never said anything up to this point about it really and I just got on with the task without complaint like when Jess left so I don't think I acted like it was a catastrophe. I just felt as the person who probably suffered the most from it I thought it would be reasonable to say. In hindsight maybe it wasn't.

If anything I sincerely hope your mother gets better and I apologise again for anything insensitive I may have said.
    Forum Member
    Task feedback *cries* where art thouu
  • TyjetTyjet Posts: 8,509
    Forum Member
    Delayed feedback is delayed.

Roxie
    Going into this task I expected you to be the strongest and I was right. You were the only person to realise that your plot was a disaster and tried to push for some positive changes. I think you could have pushed a bit harder, though. I don't know what was holding you back, whether it was fear of upsetting the team dynamic or upsetting Shadi or maybe the resistance you faced from Shadi made it too difficult for you, but I think if you had conveyed how you were feeling about the plot a bit better then maybe you would have convinced George, who also had some reservations. I understand it was a bit of a difficult situation, though. The quality of your work was top-notch as expected.

George
    I was disappointed in you this task George. I noted that you were the only person to comment on how ridiculous the face-swap part of the plot was, but you barely even tried to change it. Also, at the start of the task you were the only one who suggested that you look at the industry you want to focus on before deciding on a plot, but then the whirlwind of Shadi's plot took over and your suggestion fell by the wayside. I would have expected that you would have realised that making sure the plot actually fit the industry was the most important part of the task given the fact you made this observation, but you went on to push something wholly inappropriate. I also think that you let your personal relationship with Shadi get in the way of defending yourself in the boardroom. Your comment at the end of the boardroom was a lovely display of friendship, but in the world of business, it was a massive display of weakness. You can keep your working relationship and personal relationship with a person separate.

Shadi
    I think you made some crucial mistakes in this task, the first being suggesting your own plot. I understand that you wanted to bring the best possible plot you could, but your close connection to it as well as your reluctance to make any changes no doubt contributed to why none of your fellow team members pushed too hard to make any changes for fear of both upsetting you and causing a stir. That coupled with the fact that it needed major changes to even work was just a recipe for disaster really. I don't want to hark back to this, but I think Louise was right when she said you had a bit of an attitude problem. From what I viewed, you clearly don't take criticism very well and, especially for an aspiring writer, criticism is going to come flying at you right, left and centre your whole life. Anyway, I appreciate that you worked very hard on this task even though you had some serious real life commitments and time constraints. I know what it's like to take part in DSA when your time is limited, and it's not fun, so props for doing such a good job under the circumstances! :)

Overall
    Under the circumstances, I think you all did rather well. Zak was obviously per-occupied with real life stuff, which is fine, and even though he was there the first night, I don't think you got much guidance, so you were essentially without a PM the whole task and still managed to pull together a pitch that was actually very good.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tyjet wrote: »
    Delayed feedback is delayed.

This made me laugh just a little too much :blush:
  • SoppyfanSoppyfan Posts: 29,911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Steve - As a project manager, you weren't great. You just seemed to go along with things rather than leading anything. However, as a team member you were fine. But you can't go through every week just being passable. What I'd really like to see from you is some drive and passion to win. It seems like you don't really care. You give yourself a hard time but I think you have it in you to make it further than you think. Not as bad a showing for you as you made out, although you were mentioned as the worst member of the team by at least one other candidate. Congrats on the PM win.

Thank you Louise, but you are right. This was a task where I was really exposed whereas I believe Iain would've been much better off as PM for this task as he understood it far better than I did, but Naill wanted me to do much more, so it was case of bad timing in all fairness.
    Forum Member
    Tyjet wrote: »
    George
    I was disappointed in you this task George. I noted that you were the only person to comment on how ridiculous the face-swap part of the plot was, but you barely even tried to change it. Also, at the start of the task you were the only one who suggested that you look at the industry you want to focus on before deciding on a plot, but then the whirlwind of Shadi's plot took over and your suggestion fell by the wayside. I would have expected that you would have realised that making sure the plot actually fit the industry was the most important part of the task given the fact you made this observation, but you went on to push something wholly inappropriate. I also think that you let your personal relationship with Shadi get in the way of defending yourself in the boardroom. Your comment at the end of the boardroom was a lovely display of friendship, but in the world of business, it was a massive display of weakness. You can keep your working relationship and personal relationship with a person separate.

Thanks for the comments, and I will take them on board.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hey everyone - just to let you know that the task will be postponed further slightly but only by a day - so instead it will be starting this Sunday at 5pm with the boardroom on Tuesday evening. Hopefully this is not an issue for anyone, I don't see why it should be though as the task was originally going to go on for 4 days so we're just taking away 1 day at the beginning. Hope you're all enjoying the break between tasks!
    Forum Member
    _NiallDEE_ wrote: »
    Hey everyone - just to let you know that the task will be postponed further slightly but only by a day - so instead it will be starting this Sunday at 5pm with the boardroom on Tuesday evening. Hopefully this is not an issue for anyone, I don't see why it should be though as the task was originally going to go on for 4 days so we're just taking away 1 day at the beginning. Hope you're all enjoying the break between tasks!

I won't be around until late tomorrow night, so that actually makes things easier for me.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hello and welcome to the task reveal for the fifth task - before I announce the task there will be a slight team change...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Arran will be moving from Aptitude to Inspired...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ...and that is it, which means the teams now stand as:

Aptitude
    Iain
    Naruto
    Steve

Inspired
    Arran
    George
    Roxie
    Shadi

The task will be posted in the next few minutes!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The new task is based on a concept that has become a DSA favourite that has popped up in the past couple of series, and will involve three non-participating forum members acting as ‘buyers’ that the candidates have to pitch to. For this task, the three buyers will be acting as museum curators of an art museum. Each of them will be looking for a new feature of modern art by a particular artist to be included in the museum. Your task is to carefully decide on a particular artists’ work that you will be pitching to the buyers to use in their museum. Each of the buyers will choose which feature of art has been pitched better and they feel would be the best choice for the museum, and the team who wins the most pitches will win. As there are three separate buyers, you will have to pick out three different artist’ features of work and make three different pitches which will either be presented to the buyers individually or in sub teams. The buyers will be differentiated by types of modern art, and they are:

xKatieLx (Still Life paintings)
    aliyah101 (Abstract and Surreal paintings)
    Tyjet (Sculptures and Models)

As well as presenting the pitches, the buyers will also ask you questions which you must answer. It is up to you to negotiate with the buyers when the pitches will take place and which medium they will be delivered on, but bear in mind that the full conversations must be sent to me to be posted in the team threads so it must be over a medium in which you are able to do that. The specific task requirements will be stated in the next post.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    1. To choose a selected amount of pieces of art by a specific artist for all three of the different types of art – remember this task is about modern art so these must be from a recent artist who would realistically still be selling their art to be used in situations like this. Your success in this task will be largely dependent on these choices so make sure you choose carefully.

2. To choose specific pieces of art from these artists – however many you choose is up to you but make sure you consider the amount of pieces of work that would usually be used from a specific artist in a museum. These pieces should be incorporated into your pitches.

3. To come up with a detailed pitch which you will be presenting to the specific buyer. This should include information on the art and the artists chosen and why you feel they should be chosen for a new feature in an art museum. Remember that you will be presenting three separate pitches to the three different buyers – how you decide to go about doing these and choosing who presents each pitch is completely up to you.

All buyer meetings must be completed by 7pm on Tuesday, after this I will post the buyer meeting transcripts in the team threads and then the boardroom will occur at 8pm, please try and make sure you're present for that and if not let me know in advance.

For this task, Louise will be following Team Inspired and David will be following Team Aptitude.

You will be choosing project managers yourselves for this task, once you have chosen please post them in this thread. Good luck!
  • aliyah101aliyah101 Posts: 13,849
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Best of luck both teams, I'm really looking forward to your pitches :).

Thank you Niall for asking me to be a buyer. I requested Abstract & Surreal art as I feel there is more capacity to dive into a deeper level and truly express your thoughts & ideas in a non cliched form. I guess what I'm looking for the most is a strong message or a "story" conveyed through the art work!

Also im available tomorrow but really late like 11pm (ill let you know if im available earlier) and Tuesday at about 6pm ish! Best of luck :D
  • SoppyfanSoppyfan Posts: 29,911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh dear...this task could very well be the end of me. :blush:
    Forum Member
    Since I'm the only one who didn't act as Project Manager out of the remaining contestants, I will be the PM of this task for Inspired.