I've seen it all now!

2»

Comments

• dodger0703dodger0703 Posts: 1,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you are gonna listen to Irish music, it has to be proper traditional music and not that Irish country rubbish.

We need a thread dedicated to Trad :D

ha ha ha, when I was a kid I used to look at my mams records and used to wonder why loads of songs had 'Trad.' written after them, wasn't til I bought a pogues record record I understood
  • TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dodger0703 wrote: »
    ha ha ha, when I was a kid I used to look at my mams records and used to wonder why loads of songs had 'Trad.' written after them, wasn't til I bought a pogues record record I understood

This is more what I mean by traditional music

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqoSD1825yc
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is more what I mean by traditional music

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqoSD1825yc

ok sorry, didn't realise it had a diff connotation there. I thought it meant Traditionally Arranged
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can't beat a good lively seisún with plenty of music, drink and dance.
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    My university has a society dedicated to Irish traditional music called TradSoc and they play a lot of traditional Irish instruments. They played at a Christmas carol service in there a couple of years ago.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My university has a society dedicated to Irish traditional music called TradSoc and they play a lot of traditional Irish instruments. They played at a Christmas carol service in there a couple of years ago.

To show what we put up with, we went to a wedding reception and half way through they let some kids get 'on the the mic' and they 'freestyled' I just wanted to die
    Forum Member
    To show what we put up with, we went to a wedding reception and half way through they let some kids get 'on the the mic' and they 'freestyled' I just wanted to die

What do you mean they freestyled? What did they do?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What do you mean they freestyled? What did they do?

basically just made stuff up on the spot, rap style, me and missus were sat staring at the floor
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I used to play the tin whistle, bloody good I was too. I tried to learn the fiddle but it never took.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to play the tin whistle, bloody good I was too. I tried to learn the fiddle but it never took.

could you play it with your nose? seen a Cpl of people do that, the tin whistle not the fiddle
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    could you play it with your nose? seen a Cpl of people do that, the tin whistle not the fiddle

Nah I could never do that with either :p
    Forum Member
    basically just made stuff up on the spot, rap style, me and missus were sat staring at the floor

Not sure what to make of that :o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not sure what to make of that :o

believe me it is awful
  • MaksonMakson Posts: 30,452
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah I saw the One Direction christmas card in easons last week but not the Daniel one (probably sold out:o)
  • SILLY SUESILLY SUE Posts: 5,499
    Forum Member
    I was unfortunate to stumble upon one of those dreadful Daniel O'Donnell cards. :o Noticed there was also a Cliff Richard one. It was in Clintons Cards or whatever it's called.
    Forum Member
    SILLY SUE wrote: »
    I was unfortunate to stumble upon one of those dreadful Daniel O'Donnell cards. :o Noticed there was also a Cliff Richard one. It was in Clintons Cards or whatever it's called.

Did it play his version of Silent Night when you opened it? :o The Cliff Richard one probably plays Congratulations or one of his awful Christmas songs :o
  • mialiciousmialicious Posts: 4,686
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

you miserable sods.
  • SILLY SUESILLY SUE Posts: 5,499
    Forum Member
    Did it play his version of Silent Night when you opened it? :o The Cliff Richard one probably plays Congratulations or one of his awful Christmas songs :o

I didn't muster the courage to open the Cliff one! :D The Daniel O'Donnell one was wishing a happy Christmas. As I promptly closed the card after that; I didn't get the chance to see if he actually sang.
    Forum Member
    Ever since I saw that card Daniel O'Donnell has been haunting me! He's been on TV here in Ireland (someone pass me the sick bucket) and mum got a DO'D CD for Christmas! I'm trapped in some sort of Daniel O'Donnell nightmare! I'm too young to be forced to listen to him. I like stuff like Britney Spears and The Saturdays :D Help! :o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was Tommy Fleming that I was subjected to last night. I would almost rather have Daniel :eek:
  • cliffy91cliffy91 Posts: 1,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I've had the Cliff one before,it just says 'merry christmas' or 'happy birthday' if its a birthday one,tho its not Cliff himself saying it
    Forum Member
    It was Tommy Fleming that I was subjected to last night. I would almost rather have Daniel :eek:

What channel was he on?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What channel was he on?

TG4 I think. It was a show from some Cathedral in Dublin. The songs were good, I just wasn't keen on him singing them.
  • JoJoJayJoJoJay Posts: 859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    true story about my granny

They live in a place called Oldtown, Co. Dublin, middle of nowhere to us from our council estate in Manchester. There was 1 shop, a church, a pub and a water pump, my granny was barred from the bloody pub for fighting. She was 60 odd

😃😃😃😄😄
  • CMCM Posts: 33,235
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was doing some Christmas shopping this afternoon and I came across this in a shop:

http://oi39.tinypic.com/243hnb6.jpg

It's a Daniel O'Donnell Christmas card :o When you open it up it plays his version of Silent Night. Who on earth would buy this? And if that wasn't bad enough, they had Michael Buble and 1D Christmas cards!

BTW I posted this in Music as it's music-related, though I use the term loosely where DO'D, Buble and 1D are concerned :D

Plenty would like Daniel O'Donnell cards. :)