Signing off from the job centre

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,761
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hey

I've been unemployed since September and signing on since then too .On Friday i'm meant to going to the six months meeting ( which i was totally dreading ,as at my last sign on the woman was particularly nasty and basically blamed me for not finding work and told me id have too go on some 'learn to be a better citizen course' if didn't find any work in the next 2 weeks .Miraculously i found out today i'll be starting work on Monday:D .My question is how do i go about signing off ? do i still have to attend the meeting ? Shall i just wait till Friday ? I tried to look this up online but couldn't any info .:confused:

Final question ! - If i was working all week and then signed off on Friday would that be benefit fraud ?:o

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 80
    Forum Member
    Why has it taken you over 6 months? I was unemployed in September and was employed in October. I'm pretty sure that would be benefit fraud btw. But I still don't understand how it can take people 6 months to get a job.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 81
    Forum Member
    Congratulations on your new job. How about checking online. http://www.jobcentreplus.gov.uk
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,761
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks . The jist is tell them soon as ie monday.It took me six months because no one wanted to employ me end of really . I applied for everything from trainee positions too coffee shops & call centers but now is not the time that people wanted to employ graduates .Over qualified for coffee shops -not enough experience for the office.
  • fluffybunyipfluffybunyip Posts: 4,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would sign off before you start work, if I were you (as long as your job is 100% secure!). You're still entitled to Jobseeker's Allowance for the day before you start work anyway, so you shouldn't lose out financially.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,387
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why has it taken you over 6 months? I was unemployed in September and was employed in October. I'm pretty sure that would be benefit fraud btw. But I still don't understand how it can take people 6 months to get a job.
    How is that relevant to this topic? It differs area to area, some areas it is incredibly hard to get a job. There was absolutely no need for that comment.

The answer is, you should have a Job Seekers booklet, in there there is a little section where you sign off. You put the date BEFORE you start work, as in if you're starting work on Monday, put Sunday as your sign off date then drop it in. After that you don't need to do anything :) any job centre appointments you have before your sign off date you should attend.

You MUST sign off before you start work, just drop the form in and that is that. If you don't, it is benefit fraud.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Just because you found a job does not mean its been so easy for others, keep this atitude and your end up with no job your self.
  • tsotso Posts: 25,860
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

yeah because its so F****** easy to get a job.
    you just got lucky.
    i havent had a reply yet in 6 weeks yet ive got 15 years experience.
    when i was out of work back in 1996 i got 2 jobs in 2 days.
    its the way it goes sometimes.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just ring the job centre and tell them your circumstances have changed, and that you have now found a job, you won’t even have to go back to the place. Even if you start work and leave it for a couple of days that will be ok, they will just ask when you started work.
  • Jay BigzJay Bigz Posts: 5,338
    Forum Member

Luck and location has much to do with it - I used to think like that too, but then realised that I'm lucky to live near London where there are plenty more opportunites - Some people are out in the sticks, or in crisis areas where there is hardly anything going - I feel for those people as it must be really hard to find something new.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jay Bigz wrote: »
    Luck and location has much to do with it - I used to think like that too, but then realised that I'm lucky to live near London where there are plenty more opportunites - Some people are out in the sticks, or in crisis areas where there is hardly anything going - I feel for those people as it must be really hard to find something new.

I was trying for around 6 months to find a job for the first time, sent loads of forms and cv's off, but in the end the job came to me.:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,076
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Want to come and live up in the north and see how you get on?
  • Jay BigzJay Bigz Posts: 5,338
    Forum Member
    HAL_9000 wrote: »
    I was trying for around 6 months to find a job for the first time, sent loads of forms and cv's off, but in the end the job came to me.:D

Always the way mate :D

My CV is officially 'out there' now - whilst job hunting I sent it to just about every agency, every cv library on the web, and a shit load of jobs - I get at least one or two calls/emails a week now (whilst in employment) with offers for interviews, or agencies trying to set me up.

'If you throw enough shit at the wall eventually some of it will stick'
  • mirandashellmirandashell Posts: 2,943
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alves wrote: »

Or how about coming here where all our industry is gone and the recession is biting like a pit bull? And then tell me how easy it is to get a job!

You cheeky arrogant git!
  • shelleyj89shelleyj89 Posts: 16,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rosaliee wrote: »
    How is that relevant to this topic? It differs area to area, some areas it is incredibly hard to get a job. There was absolutely no need for that comment.

The answer is, you should have a Job Seekers booklet, in there there is a little section where you sign off. You put the date BEFORE you start work, as in if you're starting work on Monday, put Sunday as your sign off date then drop it in. After that you don't need to do anything :)any job centre appointments you have before your sign off date you should attend.

You MUST sign off before you start work, just drop the form in and that is that. If you don't, it is benefit fraud.

When I signed off, I filled the form in and sent it in the post, but I had an appointment after that but didn't attend. I never heard anything from the Job Centre though about missing the appointment or if they'd received my form.

Also, you can still sign on when working, depending on how many hours you do. I could still sign on now if I wanted and get a bit more money, but I can't be bothered with the hassle.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 136
    Forum Member

Other people have had their sensible say to your ridiculous post.

I just wanted to say you're a total idiot, who has no grasp of what is happening on the employment markets today.

Go and be annoying somewhere else unless you have something more constructive to offer.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 136
    Forum Member
    ...and by the way, well done to the OP!

:D
  • SuesSues Posts: 1,475
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

How clever are you then!
    With an attitude like that I certainly wouldn't employ you.
  • MarzBar85MarzBar85 Posts: 15,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    alves wrote: »
    Or how about coming here where all our industry is gone and the recession is biting like a pit bull? And then tell me how easy it is to get a job!

You cheeky arrogant git!

I was going to say the same thing, but on ruder terms and probably ending up with a ban!

Congrats on the job OP! I signed off JSA a day or two after I started agency work. Cited the reason I left it so late was because I didn't have regular work - I would have been able to declare the first two days work as my 16 hour allowance. It was very dodgy ground for a claim but a necessity to cover my back until the wages came through. Just call the phoneline and tell them your situation. They're normally helpful and tell you how to get the most money.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i just rang them up on some 0845 number and they told me to call my local job centre and i canceled it over the phone. got some letters through the post confirming my last payment and p45
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,415
    Forum Member

your post is somewhat trollish :eek: , it took me 5 months to get another job , do you want to have a go at me as to the reasons why ??
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭

This is what making me so pissed off with this forum at moment. Anyway well done to The OP for getting a job I have been looking for under a year and still nothing sending off CV's ringing, people and writing letters. I have applied over 1,000 jobs and got to replies back saying over qualified or I'm not the sort of person they are looking for.

Another thing If I was your boss you would have been given two minutes to clear your desk and get out. A very stinking attitude.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 39
    Forum Member
    You do not need to attend the appointment as it will be after you have started work - However you must make sure you attend any appointments you have before starting work including your fortnightly signing.

To sign off, you can now do this over the phone (in most areas now I think) or fill in your booklet that you take in to sign each fortnight. If you don't have a number for signing off, try phoning your Jobcentre and they will put you in the right direction.

If you can sign off by phone, this is the quickest way and if you claim Housing Benefit/Council Tax Benefit, they pass the information on to your Local Authority, saving you another call.

Just to clarify for others, if the OP didn't sign off until Friday this would NOT be benefit fraud - JSA is paid is arrears, and as long as the OP gives the start date as Monday, they will only be paid up to the day before, in this case Sunday.

Good Luck in your new job, hope you enjoy it. :)
  • Paper DollPaper Doll Posts: 3,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

In our local newspapers there are only a couple of page of jobs now when there used to be about 10 pages full, and hundreds apply for every vacancy, it's not that easy at the moment so reserve your judgement until after better times.