20% of Apple iPhone Customers Switched from Android...

The Lord LucanThe Lord Lucan Posts: 5,054
Forum Member
20% of Apple iPhone Customers Switched from Android, 7% of Samsung Buyers Switched from iOS

"When taking into account only customers who switched brands, 33% of Apple’s new customers came from Samsung, while just 11% of Samsung's new customers came from Apple. Samsung attracted more customers from HTC, Motorola, and Nokia, while Apple garnered more BlackBerry users"

Some more interesting stats over at MR. Not trying to stoke a war.. genuinely surprised myself.

http://www.macrumors.com/2013/08/19/20-of-apple-iphone-customers-switched-from-android-7-of-samsung-buyers-switched-from-ios/

Comments

• Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MacRumors.....yeah ok. :)
  • jabbamk1jabbamk1 Posts: 8,942
    Forum Member
    Zack06 wrote: »
    MacRumors.....yeah ok. :)

Actually it was done by these guys

http://www.cirp.net/

Read the article next time ;)
  • The Lord LucanThe Lord Lucan Posts: 5,054
    Forum Member
    As he said the data is independent but MR has best laid it out to show main details.
  • swordmanswordman Posts: 6,679
    Forum Member
    good god if that many switched and given the faithful who remained that must mean hardly any one new is taking up the iphone given their poor sales things are worse than I thought :eek:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jabbamk1 wrote: »
    Actually it was done by these guys

http://www.cirp.net/

Read the article next time ;)

Actually I did read it. I need more than a 500 person survey to be convinced. :)
  • jabbamk1jabbamk1 Posts: 8,942
    Forum Member
    Actually I did read it. I need more than a 500 person survey to be convinced. :)

Then next time write that rather than comment on the website that posted the article.
  • The Lord LucanThe Lord Lucan Posts: 5,054
    Forum Member
    swordman wrote: »
    good god if that many switched and given the faithful who remained that must mean hardly any one new is taking up the iphone given their poor sales things are worse than I thought :eek:

Probably not.. only dafties would get a 5 just now.. Tariffs not at a level i'd call premium cheap yet...

Saying that the S4 isn't exactly flying off the shelf even with recent price point reductions and it's not about to be replaced imminently... like the 5.
    Forum Member
    Is it not really?

Is it?

Wow where you get this info from then

But no one taking up the iphone from new u reckon thats not good although werent those figures from 2012 onwards ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jabbamk1 wrote: »
    Then next time write that rather than comment on the website that posted the article.

I'll write what I want about the subject of the thread thanks. :)
  • Kenny MacleanKenny Maclean Posts: 1,318
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "CIRP offers regular reports covering Apple, including its new product launches..."

Hmmmm. So possibly an Apple biased company.
    Forum Member
    Course they are the whole thread a load of nonsense who is this company?

20% of Apple iPhone Customers Switched from Android, 7% of Samsung Buyers Switched from iOS are the two the same thing now :confused:

Mind you even with the dodgy figures that don't tie in with the shrinking apple market 7% of samsung and 20% of ios is probably the same amount of people.

trust good old mac rumours to find this scoop :D
  • slick1twoslick1two Posts: 2,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Got to be an Apple sanctioned survey, a bit of pr spin. When we hear the next report how Apple have lost even more market share, then we'll know just how reliable this dodgy survey was.
  • paulbrockpaulbrock Posts: 16,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As he said the data is independent but MR has best laid it out to show main details.

it would be interesting to see it laid out using number of users, rather than proportionally ;)

Also appears to be US only...
  • paulbrockpaulbrock Posts: 16,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "CIRP offers regular reports covering Apple, including its new product launches..."

Hmmmm. So possibly an Apple biased company.

see for yourself...
    http://cirpllc.com/news-media.html
  • wakeywakey Posts: 3,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

If its 500, 5000, 50000 or 500000 it really doesn't matter. As long as the sampling is done correctly each would produce the same results within the margin of error
  • prkingprking Posts: 9,791
    Forum Member
    Surely this proves that 80% of iPhone owners didn't switch from Android.
  • Anika HansonAnika Hanson Posts: 15,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Probably not.. only dafties would get a 5 just now.. Tariffs not at a level i'd call premium cheap yet...

Saying that the S4 isn't exactly flying off the shelf even with recent price point reductions and it's not about to be replaced imminently... like the 5.

I thought the S4 was doing well?

I think many people pick the S3 as it's cheaper and still a very capable phone. Just like people pick the 4S, which is also a very capable phone.
  • late8late8 Posts: 7,175
    Forum Member
    Bro switched from Apple to Android - kinda hates it.

Says its not intuitive or easy (which it isn't - try music management on Android)
    Stutters and isn't as smooth
    Doesn't look as nice / not integrated and a bit kiddy.
  • Mark in EssexMark in Essex Posts: 3,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    late8 wrote: »
    Bro switched from Apple to Android - kinda hates it.

Says its not intuitive or easy (which it isn't - try music management on Android)
    Stutters and isn't as smooth
    Doesn't look as nice / not integrated and a bit kiddy.

Which music player was he using?

I've had no problems with the music on my S3 (currently use Poweramp and it's very easy to use, very slick and the music quality is amazing).
  • grumpyoldbatgrumpyoldbat Posts: 3,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wakey wrote: »
    If its 500, 5000, 50000 or 500000 it really doesn't matter. As long as the sampling is done correctly each would produce the same results within the margin of error
    Anyone who has spent any time looking at statistics will tell you it's better to have a larger sample.
  • UKMikeyUKMikey Posts: 28,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe the switchers feel iPhones give them a boost in the trouser department. Bet the results of this survey didn't turn up on MacRumors:

http://metro.co.uk/2013/08/18/iphones-for-the-sex-gods-blackberries-for-the-rich-3928954/
    iPhone and BlackBerry users were asked to rate their attractiveness on a scale of one to ten.

Owners of Apple devices gave themselves a six while BlackBerry users thought they were only worthy of a five.

However, those who have a BlackBerry earn nearly £2,500 more per year (£27,400) and work less for it.

The study also showed iPhone users are vain and spend the most on clothes and grooming. They love to travel and label themselves as daring, flirty, bright and confident.

As for their uglier BlackBerry-using rivals, they are more likely to be in a long-term relationship and have the most friends.

They make the most texts and calls, love coffee and aren’t very punctual but believe they are loud, bubbly and sociable.

If you brandish an Android phone, you’re the hardest worker in the bunch but you drink the most alcohol. You’re a genius in the kitchen, are creative and have the best manners.

A devoted TV addict, you describe yourself as shy, quiet and calm when you’re not working in the government.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wakey wrote: »

This is Incorrect. Extrapolating small samples is never accurate (500 people to 100 million sales :eek:).
    I assume the sample takes the whole Samsung range and tries to draw a rather simplistic comparison against the iPhone :confused:

Given the breakdown you have very little clue what significance is associated with the % displayed. It could have been 450 Samsung purchases versus 50 Apple purchases (or vice versa). Really tired of these lazy articles which no tech journal ever questions :mad:
  • Philip WalesPhilip Wales Posts: 6,373
    Forum Member
    Which music player was he using?

I've had no problems with the music on my S3 (currently use Poweramp and it's very easy to use, very slick and the music quality is amazing).

And that seem to be the problem with Android, everything sort of works but if you want better you need to download a different app etc.
    Forum Member
    No that's a strength is not about getting it to work better it is about getting it working better for you, so the user can decide which apps he finds better. It is about the manufacturer not deciding these things for you so you can't change.
  • Philip WalesPhilip Wales Posts: 6,373
    Forum Member
    Not sure, I want a device to work, not have to mess around with various apps to get it do things it should be doing out of the box.

You wouldn't buy a Nissan Note, complain about the lack of power, and have the garage turn around and say well if you stick in the "Skylines Engine" it will be better.

Its not as if these Android phones are cheap, they're meant to be "flag ship"