Shows you were pleasantly surprised by

JimothyDJimothyD Posts: 8,868
Forum Member
Have you seen any shows this year that maybe you watched because there was nothing else on, or had it on in the background and it caught your attention - and then have grown to like and watch the rest of the series?

I'm like that with New Girl. I'd seen half an episode here and there and never really got it. But for some reason, earlier this year, my missus and I got in to watching it (must've been after a particularly good episode). Now it's one of my favourite shows on TV. Likeable characters, very funny in places and generally good fun.

I usually don't get drawn to E4 comedies, but New Girl cut the mustard.

Comments

• SchmiznurfSchmiznurf Posts: 4,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When I first heard about Once Upon a Time coming out I though it would be a bit kiddy and girly, but I was quite shocked to find it wasn't and I really enjoy it.
  • LMLM Posts: 63,321
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Game of thrones
    Normally i find the very hyped most talked about shows are the ones I never like, but my god this show is a gem. I spent about 4 days watching all three seasons and i can say i am a huge fan of it

Quite an old show, but i have become a huge fan of the Stargate franchise. I have never been fond of space type shows (not a fan of star trek for example), but i absolutley love it and I am now on it's ninth season, as well as loving the spin-off they did called Atlantis. I watched it on a whim because i was eager to check out more shows of the sci-fi genre.
  • xander63xander63 Posts: 669
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Mentalist
    Castle
    The White Queen
  • Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    American Horror Story , when it started there were so many tv horror shows and I was sick of them , but it's really good , its barking mad but the stories are really inventive and the characters are great .
  • big brother 9big brother 9 Posts: 18,152
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Scrubs. Thought it was gunna be like a funnier ER but boy was I wrong. Loved it.

Alcatraz. Read bad things but really enjoyed it. Shame it was a 1 season wonder/flop
  • Sorcha_27Sorcha_27 Posts: 138,453
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thought the mentalist sounded like shite but im really enjoying it
  • kempshottkempshott Posts: 1,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Good Wife - really deserves more recognition for some very good writing and some excellent character-led parts. Not quite in Breaking Bad's class of course, but then nothing else is at the moment.
  • Harry.KewellHarry.Kewell Posts: 988
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Orange is the new black. I briefly caught the end of the advert on TV and thought I would give it a go as I liked the premise of it being based in a female prison. It surpassed my expectations in how good it was. I like it when that happens as it sets me up for a few years if they are popular enough to not get cancelled.
  • postitpostit Posts: 23,839
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Duck Dynasty. Jaw-dropping hilarity.
  • Hamlet77Hamlet77 Posts: 22,440
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    White Collar, surprised it has made it as far as it has

Revenge, so hammy it should carry a health warning, but gawd it can twist at just the right moment and considering the 'issues' and themes I am surprised how often I giggle. Although it might not be able to sustain it.
  • SuperAPJSuperAPJ Posts: 10,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JimothyD wrote: »
    I'm like that with New Girl. I'd seen half an episode here and there and never really got it. But for some reason, earlier this year, my missus and I got in to watching it

It's the same with me. I'd never given New Girl a second thought before but somehow, on a dull TV day, ended up watching and enjoying it. From then on, it was part of my TV routine on a Sunday!
  • SillyBillyGoatSillyBillyGoat Posts: 22,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sleepy Hollow.
    Pretty Little Liars.
    The Vampire Diaries.
    True Blood.
    Once Upon a Time.
    American Horror Story.

All shows I slightly rolled my eyes at before watching. I gave them a chance and became hooked on all. :)
  • Stefano92Stefano92 Posts: 66,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sleepy Hollow.
    Pretty Little Liars.
    The Vampire Diaries.
    True Blood.
    Once Upon a Time.
    American Horror Story.

All shows I slightly rolled my eyes at before watching. I gave them a chance and became hooked on all. :)

I may start Sleepy Hollow as I have heard quite a lot of good things about it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kempshott wrote: »
    The Good Wife - really deserves more recognition for some very good writing and some excellent character-led parts. Not quite in Breaking Bad's class of course, but then nothing else is at the moment.

Totally agree. Excellent show. Best network drama of the past 5 years by a country mile. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    American Horror Story , when it started there were so many tv horror shows and I was sick of them , but it's really good , its barking mad but the stories are really inventive and the characters are great .

I really enjoyed Season 1 of "American Horror Story". It exceeded my expectations. But Season 2 was totally bonkers!! ...but still fun.
  • JenzenJenzen Posts: 7,364
    Forum Member
    The Good Wife.

I am not very keen on legal dramas, but this show is so well written and acted its kept my interest for all four seasons.

The main leads are excellent and they always bring in really good character actors for the smaller roles. :)
  • FrankieFixerFrankieFixer Posts: 11,530
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    House of Cards US version and Orange is the New Black.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 703
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shameless USA.

When I first heard about it I thought there was no way it could be transferred over to an American setting. But actually it's been bloody brilliant! It reminds me how good the original UK version of Shameless used to be, before its mighty fall from grace of course. William H. Macy and Joan Cusack are absolutely fantastic in it!
  • LudwigVonDrakeLudwigVonDrake Posts: 12,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    NCIS LA

I dismissed it as i expected it to be just like its siblings, turned out I was really wrong. Great action combined with the right flavour of humour.
  • jeffiner1892jeffiner1892 Posts: 14,212
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When I saw the ads for the Newsroom I remember thinking "It can't work."

Was already enjoying it after episode 1 but episodes 3 and 4 had me hooked.

Awake as well. Shame it was cancelled though.
  • anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sleepy Hollow tonight and Devious Maids which also started tonight.
  • MrMarpleMrMarple Posts: 3,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    delboy85 wrote: »
    Totally agree. Excellent show. Best network drama of the past 5 years by a country mile. :)

Totally agree.
    Three of my favourite TV characters of all time are from The Good Wife:-
    Kalinda Sharma
    Patti Nyholm &
    Elsbeth Tascioni.

All brilliant characters played by outstanding actresses IMO.
  • rumpleteazerrumpleteazer Posts: 5,746
    Forum Member
    Once Upon a Time. I saw the preview they put out before the first episode a few years ago and really wasn't impressed. I started watching it recently and am absolutely in love with it. I even brought the first series on DVD, the only new series I've brought over the last few years has been Doctor Who so that's a big deal for me.