Weight Loss Thread - 2013 Edition

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,941
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just Vogue wrote: »
    I had this exact same problem a few weeks back, I'd gone down from 11 stone 5 to around 10 stone 7 in just a week... I was really pleased to but got really worried about it.

Few days later I'd realised I had been getting an awful lot of headaches and it hit me that since I've started dieting I had been drinking considerably less fluids. Upped my fluids and within two days my weight had shot back up to 11 stone 4!

So try drinking a bit more water, you might just be dehydrated and confusing it with hunger because you're dieting. I'm guessing that's what I did!

I doubt very much that such a considerable weight loss in a matter of days can be put down to not drinking enough fluids?!
  • kate36kate36 Posts: 13,715
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi all! Hope everyone's having a good week so far..... My calorie consumption has been a little mercurial lately!! but I am swimming 4 times a week for at least an hour each time - today and Sunday I did 80 minutes and I am trying to keep the portions small, some days it's easier than others!!
  • WinterFireWinterFire Posts: 9,509
    Forum Member
    Well done Kate, keep up the good work.

I don't know if it's due to me dieting, but I'm really enjoying my food more recently. Even very simple things like cream crackers seem to taste absolutely delicious. Does make it slightly harder to resist temptation though :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 273
    Forum Member
    Younger brother has lost 22 kgs and I've lost 19 kgs and I've done it the proper way too not this eat less and do more stuff.

I've done it by eating 6 meals a day with 3 whole meals and 3 liquid smoothies which help me control my cravings for food and I eat so much too.
  • netcurtainsnetcurtains Posts: 23,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    3lb loss this week, making a total loss of 5st 4lb.
    Forum Member
    Well done netcurtains.
  • molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well done netcurtains !

BTW congratulations to all of us who are still going strong, we have passed the point many give up !
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Congratulations everyone who is loosing weight :)

Since starting on this thread a month ago, I have had a couple of setbacks. Firstly, the snow stopped me from being so active and being cooped up, I tended to snack. Then I was on antibiotics for 3 times a day and I found I needed to eat substantially before taking them as otherwise, I would feel really nauseous.

So I haven't put on weight, I just haven't lost any either. Ho hum.

However, I am now back on the bandwagon :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's so irritating when that happens isn't it, still main thing is to get back on the programme and not get too down about it. Hope your feeling better after the antibiotics ?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    molliepops wrote: »
    It's so irritating when that happens isn't it, still main thing is to get back on the programme and not get too down about it. Hope your feeling better after the antibiotics ?

Yes, I am thanks molliepops. :)

At least I am doing a bit more exercise now and I have made that a part of my weekly routine now. So I only need to eat a bit less and hopefully I'll be seeing a smaller me in time for summer.

And congratulations with your continued loss molliepops. You seem to be doing really well :)
    Forum Member
    Yes, I am thanks molliepops. :)

At least I am doing a bit more exercise now and I have made that a part of my weekly routine now. So I only need to eat a bit less and hopefully I'll be seeing a smaller me in time for summer.

And congratulations with your continued loss molliepops. You seem to be doing really well :)

I've read up on dieting a bit. One thing that I've noticed is that it's often important to have the mindset that if things haven't gone right, then just pick yourself up and continue on from where you are. Getting too down about things not going right all the time seems to be demotivating and a possible cause of failure.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Must agree with that Winterfire, over the years I have tried various times to diet, each time I gave up far too easily at the first hurdle, made excuses why I needed to stop etc. Now I am finding just keep going even when you have a bad week, next week may be better, so just power through.

It helps I think for me anyway that I am feeling far more positive generally, I have suffered from depression on and off for years but something has clicked recently and I seem to have mentally turned a corner. I think it was giving up sugar. On previous diets I have tried to have the occasional sugary treat, this time I have just turned my back on sugar and after the first couple of days where I could have killed someone (really glad we don't have a gun culture in this country) I suddenly felt so much better - more energy more focused more like the person I want to be. And that was before I lost and ounce !
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    WinterFire wrote: »
    I've read up on dieting a bit. One thing that I've noticed is that it's often important to have the mindset that if things haven't gone right, then just pick yourself up and continue on from where you are. Getting too down about things not going right all the time seems to be demotivating and a possible cause of failure.

I do agree Winterfire :)

And thanks for everyone posting afterwards too because I was actually about to indulge myself and snack on a pack of crisps. But after seeing all these comments, it is certainly enough encouragement to wait until I do feel hungry and if it's not meal time, then I'll try and snack on something a bit healthier.

After all, I'm back on the horse now and I want to lose some pounds :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do agree Winterfire :)

And thanks for everyone posting afterwards too because I was actually about to indulge myself and snack on a pack of crisps. But after seeing all these comments, it is certainly enough encouragement to wait until I do feel hungry and if it's not meal time, then I'll try and snack on something a bit healthier.

After all, I'm back on the horse now and I want to lose some pounds :)

I think we all have off days where we go a bit mad. I often do and suprisingly it doesn't seem to affect my weight loss as long as the off day doesn't turn into an off week/month! The last time I had a mad splurge, I ate two bags of crisps and a full packet of Jaffa cakes and I lost 4lbs that week!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think we all have off days where we go a bit mad. I often do and suprisingly it doesn't seem to affect my weight loss as long as the off day doesn't turn into an off week/month! The last time I had a mad splurge, I ate two bags of crisps and a full packet of Jaffa cakes and I lost 4lbs that week!

Counting calories I sort of allow myself a splurge every so often, eat below my calories for a week and I can have a bit of a celebratory day lol
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Counting calories I sort of allow myself a splurge every so often, eat below my calories for a week and I can have a bit of a celebratory day lol

Sometimes if I find my weight loss slowing down or stopping, I have a day off and eat a shedload of food and start again the next day and it seems to kickstart the weightloss like your body is tricked into thinking you've just started dieting!
    I think your body can get used to the amount of calories you consume and you hit a dreaded plateau which all dieters hate.
    Forum Member

I had to ride a bicycle down Belgrave Road this morning.

http://www.gg2.net/newImage/original/1352272147_2008.JPG

Oh, the temptation. But I resisted :) Weigh in day tomorrow. I'm going to have a splurge day when I get to 80kg. Only one, I promise :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    striing wrote: »
    I am in awe of how much you have lost.

I'm getting stuck around the same point I got stuck at when I last tried WW in 2009. I'm sure it must be what I am eating, rather than how much because I've got portions under control - but I'm never going to eat platefuls of salad. :(

Sorry if this sounds nosey but perhaps post a typical days menu and lets see if anyone can help you ? I don't mind doing that if I find I am stuck but at the moment don't need to.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would look at the amount of calories in the prepacked sandwiches, some of them are huge.

Also snacks ? do you really need them ?

3 meals a day is how I am doing it, no snacks unless I miss a meal and I make my own sandwiches as the calorie count can be kept lower.
    Forum Member
    I noticed that Striing didn't mention actual calorie amounts and total calories per day. I know from experience that totting up calories for the day can be a bit of a pain, but I was surprised as to what foods had what calories. The pre-packed foods probably have a calorie figure on the package somewhere.

BTW: I'll be at 891 calories when I finish work and go home.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So you eat back your exercise "points" ? with calorie counting you can eat back a little but only a very little of the exercise you do.

Also with points do you weigh and measure portions ? I found a little diet digital scale has been worth it's weight in gold.
    Forum Member
    Edit: I have done calories in the past. The reason I'm not doing it anymore is that to lose weight on calories I had to eat about 600-700 a day AND exercise for about 2 hours a day to lose weight. I did it for about 3 months and then realised there was no way I was going to be able to do it for the rest of my life (apart from anything else I was on a long holiday at the time and I knew that I couldn't eat 700 calories and go to work). I kept that weight off for years and only got obese when I was working from home and barely moved at all.

You have to eat only 600-700 a day AND exercise for about 2 hours a day to lose weight?

Are you sure? That seems an exceptionally low allocation.

If it's not too personal, can I ask your gender and height?
  • Delta TangoDelta Tango Posts: 625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've started today.

Lose weight for my holiday in July.

Not a massive amount. Couple of stone.

Just wish I didn't feel so crap. Chest and cold giving me jip. Went to JJb yesterday to buy some running trainers, top and shorts.

All kitted up ready.
  • Delta TangoDelta Tango Posts: 625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm so out of sync getting back into exercise is going to be hard.

I use to burn about 700 calories a day on the running machine at gym.
    Forum Member
    That was about 15 years ago.

I'm female and between 5' 8 and 9.

The maximum I'm supposed to weight is about 11.10. I was 12 stone by the time I was 15. I went down to 11.7 when I was 16 (through illness) but went back up to 12 and stayed between 12 and 13 for years. The time I lost weight doing calories I had gone up to 13.10. It took me about 3 months of eating 600-700 cals and exercising 2 hours a day to get back down to 13. I crept up slowly as I got older but only got clinically obese when I worked from home. The last time I tried to lose weight it took me 10 weeks to lose a stone on WW. This time I lost a stone in 7 weeks - but then stalled.

I don't know the WW method, other than it's 'points' which are an approximation of calories.

I went to here: http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm and put in some figures, a combination of the data you posted, and some wild guesses. The result was about 1277 calories/day for weight loss.

As discussed before, calorie counters vary a bit. But, that number seems much higher than the 600-700 calories per day you mentioned before. I wonder whether it would be worth you trying a number of different sites/numbers, and seeing what numbers you get.

I could imagine using the WW diet, as it's easy to calculate. But I quite like numbers and don't mind doing the calculations and lookups as much as others might. I personally would not want to do the 5:2 diet (for example) as it's too approximate and I wouldn't know whether my calorie intake would be what it should be or not. Striing, It's only a wild guess, but I wonder if you would benefit from actual doing some sample calculations just to see if your approximate figures do lead you to eat the right number of calories for your personal parameters and your aims.

Edit: Welcome (back?) and good luck, Delta Tango.