Do jobs check your exam results on your CV?

MaxCherryMaxCherry Posts: 9,013
Forum Member
If I happened to change for instance a D to a C, could the job I was applying for contact my old school?

Thanks to anyone who knows.

Comments

• Apple_CrumbleApple_Crumble Posts: 21,748
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    From personal experience of knowing those who have done such a thing - nope. But, never the less I imagine it's risky.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They can and sometimes do.

Its becoming more and more common for companies to do these kind of checks.

If you are hired and subsequently found to have lied during your application, including on your CV, you could be fired on the spot.
  • cathh70cathh70 Posts: 3,951
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't bother putting anything less than a C on my CV. Luckily I got 10 O levels at B, and only one fail (a D grade).

And yes, they can and do check.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,717
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They do. Many will ask you to bring your certificates to your interview, or at the very least the slip that confirms your grades. This particularly applies where specific qualifications were mentioned in the job specification. I've known people apply for jobs where it's been made clear that they'll have to bring their certificates or proof of their grades to the interview if they are short-listed. They get an interview, & turn up without them. They are then re-booked for another one for the following day (they get lucky if someone else has cancelled & there is space available) with the stipulation that they will not be interviewed without bringing the paperwork. They then don't turn up for it, so it would seem that they didn't actually have all of the qualifications they'd stated on their application.

Some jobs don't just require a particular qualification, they require it at a particular level, & the employer could be in big trouble if an employee is found to be less qualified than they should be. For instance, someone wanting to train as a nurse or a midwife has to have specific levels of achievement under their belt.

Some employers may look at changing a pass to a higher pass differently from changing a fail to a pass. The former may be seen as a genuine mistake depending on the circumstances (eg filling in an application form on the spot rather than at home), especially if your certificates aren't later checked. The latter is a lie no ifs or buts, & few employers would accept an excuse for that. When it comes to job applications, you're taking a very big risk & I personally don't believe it's a risk worth taking.
  • InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sla_steve wrote: »
    If you are hired and subsequently found to have lied during your application, including on your CV, you could be fired on the spot.

It depends really. If you've proven you can do the job to the expectations then I doubt they'd fire you.

It also depends on how old the OP is. If they're 30 then altering a 1 school exam grade isn't going to do any real harm IMHO. If they're 17 then it's a different story.

After Lee won the Apprentice (he lied on his CV during that show) a few people said "everyone lies on their CV at least once". I think it's accepted that people will adjust something or other.
  • Rhino HornRhino Horn Posts: 1,037
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i've only been asked to provide proof of my qualifications once: when i got a job on a graduate scheme. I had to bring in my degree certificate.
  • welwynrosewelwynrose Posts: 33,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Being over the age of 30 I don't even put what exams I took - I only put Obtained 8 CSE's including English & Mathematics
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24,724
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The older you get the less they matter but big companies still check. I had to provide evidence when I was 25 when working for the NHS. I actually got a pay rise as I had a credit on a qualification which was relevant for the job.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,506
    Forum Member
    As others have said. It's very risky. They CAN check, and they can also ask you to bring along proof. How old are you? Are your exam results hugely relevant? Is it, for example, a Maths or English exam and the company have stipulated a requirement for A-C results? Could you not just put (for example) 9 A-D GCSEs, including Maths, Science and English??
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cstar2229 wrote: »
    The older you get the less they matter but big companies still check. I had to provide evidence when I was 25 when working for the NHS. I actually got a pay rise as I had a credit on a qualification which was relevant for the job.
    If you get a promotion in the NHS, they'll still ask for proof of your qualifications regardless of how long you've been working for them already. One of my colleagues has been in the NHS nearly 20 years, & when she got a promotion a few months ago she had to produce her certificates, even though she'd been promoted within the same department she'd always worked in. She said she had to go in the loft to find them, & found some things up there she'd forgotten she even owned. :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 678
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've worked in the NHS for 10 years, in various jobs (6) and have never been asked for proof of qualifications. I must have an honest face! Mind you I have never lied about them either. I'm not clinical I hasten to add, that would be different I hope:D
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    When I worked in a main school office one of the most common tasks on a daily basis was getting the pupils' exam results out for anything up to 30 years previously. I would then write a letter confirming or denying the results they had given on their CV, and this would be sent to the employer who was asking.

It does happen, and I would always put the correct results from the exam board on the letter.
  • wenchwench Posts: 8,928
    Forum Member
    yes they can and some will.

I was pulled up over a mark on my A levels, which the company couldn't correlate with their research, turned out they had it down as an A level when it was in fact an A/S Level.

This was only 2 years ago, and I'm 32. So it goes to show they can and will check up on grades, you may not have the grades listed on your cv itself but when filling in appliction forms then it may ask you and honesty is obviously the best policy.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lizjane wrote: »
    I've worked in the NHS for 10 years, in various jobs (6) and have never been asked for proof of qualifications. I must have an honest face! Mind you I have never lied about them either. I'm not clinical I hasten to add, that would be different I hope:D
    It does make a difference. My colleague's a nurse. :)

I've never lied about my qualifications when applying for a job. I've been working for a lot of years, & if someone isn't prepared to employ me on the basis of my qualifications & my experience, so be it. They're obviously not the right employer for me, & it's their loss not mine. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,683
    Forum Member
    I worked for the NHS and for the local College - I lied about my GCSE grades in both of these posts.

When I applied for the college, they offered me the job and on my first day at work asked for proof of my results.. I was absolutely gutted that they would end up finding out I'd lied. The next day, I brought in my GCSE certificates, they scanned them and filed them away in a drawer never to be looked at again.:rolleyes:

Even since I've left, they've asked me to go back so I don't quite see the point as to why they checked my qualifications...?

So in answer to your question OP, yes they can and do sometimes check but whether it makes a difference is another story.:D
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've never been asked, I graduated from uni back in '93 and no-one's ever mentioned them. I was once asked for a copy of my advanced food hygiene cert - which i have - but forgot to bring it in and whoever asked had obviously forgotten too. I think once you become expierienced in your particular field that is more important. I cringe when i think back to some of the answers i gave at interviews when straight out of college
  • MaxCherryMaxCherry Posts: 9,013
    Forum Member
    Im 25. I stupidly changed my D in maths to a C. I've actually lost my exam results slip, it was almost 10 years ago and I have honest to god lost them. Its only as a sales assistant so I dont know how important it would be?. I just didnt want to look like a thicko if its going to be working with money and figures. If I get an interview, I'll have to say it was a typo on my CV.

Thanks to all who offered advice :)
  • Rab CRab C Posts: 2,331
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A freind of ours is in the process of getting fired. They have gone though her CV inch by inch to find any untrue information for more evidence.

In my experience they don't check up unless you apply for a job with those skills. ie. all my non school qualfications are in electronics and computers. If I made it up it would soon be noticed
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,418
    Forum Member
    It depends, if you are applying for a job where those skills would be necessary, they may well check. But if it's a low-skilled job (retail, cleaning, basic office work, etc.), I doubt they would.

I exaggerated my GCSE's a little on my CV for the job I have now, they never checked :o
  • jde-tvjde-tv Posts: 4,930
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i just out ' i have 9 GCSE' passes' a D is still a pass lol :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Depends what job you're going for..if it is just a case of bumping up those GCSE and A Level 'C' grades to a 'B' then you will be fine.
  • HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have always given honest answers on the CV (5 C's, 2 D's, 2 E's) but never been checked. Nor for any of my other stuff