Hollyoaks General Discussion (Part 19)

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Welcome to the thread chris and also to DS
  • dublintvfandublintvfan Posts: 5,077
    Forum Member
    Hi all, first post so I hope it's a good one.

Having watched Hollyoaks on and off for many years, I've realised that we may be seeing a transition in Hollyoaks from character-led drama to storyline-led drama. Essentially, many have noticed continuity errors, character inconsistencies and personality transplants since the change in personally last year. I believe that the production team have made a conscious decision to concentrate on storyline, and make character development/consistency a secondary factor.

The bullying storyline, for instance, showed characters such as Jen, Diane and briefly Jack acting out of character in order to facilitate the development of the storyline. Similarly, Ste, Frankie and even Rhys before his death seem to be regressing after years of character development in order to create storylines that grow from the character, but from the need to fast-paced and sometimes sensational plots.

Sorry for the rambling - just wanted to see what everyone else thinks.

Agree completly, Another sore point of Hollyoaks Characters used to come first explored ect then given big storylines, theres members of the cast being ignored And dropped so others can get screen time which is awful, unfortuanly Hollyoaks has got alot of new viewers by this So i dont see it changing:mad:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 31
    Forum Member
    tinkie wrote: »
    Welcome to the thread chris and also to DS

Thanks for the welcome, Tinkie. :D
    Forum Member
    Agree completly, Another sore point of Hollyoaks Characters used to come first explored ect then given big storylines, theres members of the cast being ignored And dropped so others can get screen time which is awful, unfortuanly Hollyoaks has got alot of new viewers by this So i dont see it changing:mad:

It is a real shame. They have so many characters crying out for development. The show has a brilliant group of students in Annalise, Barney and Rob. They've been so underused, and yet they are popular with viewers, in contrast to the overused and unpopular sixth-formers. I know they have remedied this by killing off Maddie, Neil and Jono, but the students are a popular group who with some development and meatier stories could be an asset to the show.
  • davem1234davem1234 Posts: 5,451
    Forum Member
    don't know why they got rid of students hall
  • winter99winter99 Posts: 16,216
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Welcome To The Soaps Forum Chris :):D:)
    Forum Member
    It is a real shame. They have so many characters crying out for development. The show has a brilliant group of students in Annalise, Barney and Rob. They've been so underused, and yet they are popular with viewers, in contrast to the overused and unpopular sixth-formers. I know they have remedied this by killing off Maddie, Neil and Jono, but the students are a popular group who with some development and meatier stories could be an asset to the show.

Agreed, sadly i think those 3 will be axed they haven't all been together properly since scott left, its a shame but Hopefully The next lot of students will be treated better
    Forum Member
    davem1234 wrote: »
    don't know why they got rid of students hall

Scott left, Then all the Attention went on the 6th formers and Hollyoaks college hasent been seen since:confused: Pretty sure this is the longest we have ever gone without seeing it
  • NeomysterioNeomysterio Posts: 13,440
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hey Chris! Welcome to the thread :D
    Forum Member
    winter99 wrote: »
    Welcome To The Soaps Forum Chris :):D:)

Thank you, Winter! All these welcomes, I feel honoured! :D
    Forum Member
    Hey Neo, thank you! You're all lovely.

Isn't this DS - where's the bitching and backbiting? :p:D
    Forum Member
    Hey Neo, thank you! You're all lovely.

Isn't this DS - where's the bitching and backbiting? :p:D

General Discussion avoid at all cost:D
    Forum Member
    General Discussion avoid at all cost:D

Is it the internet equivalent of the pits of hell? :eek::)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    :D I'm not just saying this but I think this thread is one of the most friendly and decent places on Digi.

I might be a bit biased as I'm an Oaks fan though... ;)
  • Everlong GirlEverlong Girl Posts: 1,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :D I'm not just saying this but I think this thread is one of the most friendly and decent places on Digi.

I might be a bit biased as I'm an Oaks fan though... ;)

I agree Neo, I've never had a problem with anyone on the general discussion thread :) I know one or two have but overall my experience of this thread is positive.

Hello and welcome Chris :)
    Forum Member
    I've been a lurker for a few years, and it's always seemed friendly (despite the odd disagreement). But it also has passionate fans with intelligent opinions, which Hollyoaks should be happy to have as a fanbase. Look forward to posting with you all!
  • Jingle JangleJingle Jangle Posts: 2,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi Chris. A few years! Why haven't you posted before? Anyway, welcome to the thread.:)
    Forum Member
    It used to be a real hassle to create an account if you had a Hotmail e-mail. I've only just realised that DS have changed that, so here I am!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well its very good to have you! :D

I've been wrapped in the bullying storyline and am now very happy that Esther is going to be okay. I think Jazz Franks seriously kicked some arse with it!

I'm not sure if I've ever been happier than watching Sinead get expelled... :o
    Forum Member
    Well its very good to have you! :D

I've been wrapped in the bullying storyline and am now very happy that Esther is going to be okay. I think Jazz Franks seriously kicked some arse with it!

I'm not sure if I've ever been happier than watching Sinead get expelled... :o

shame though we probably wont see the osbournes for another two weeks, Dont see why they Dont go back to the old way of story telling that was continuous instead of huge gaps
  • Eternal24Eternal24 Posts: 151
    Forum Member
    Lovely to see Amy back in E4's episode. She looks gorgeous! Hope she comes back more permanently later on in the year, I miss her! But for now, looking forward to tomorrow night's First Look :):)
  • PlantPlant Posts: 11,820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I loved Amy's dagger looks at Brendan and Ste as she kissed Leah. :D
  • RainRain Posts: 9,688
    Forum Member
    Just seeing her again. Why can we not have Amy back for good!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,868
    Forum Member

I honestly think that a large part of 2012 was severely lacking in quality and that characters had scenes, not stories. Then it started to improve around Summer, but was lead with the then current characterisation, which wasn't all that great in my opinion. At some point BK come on board and started making small changes.

Now I think the story lead characters, rather than character lead stories, is due to BK setting them up for things he has planned for the future.

A change over is always a bit iffy because each producer has different ideas of where/what to do. So, I'm hoping that after the 3 big exits coming up, everything will be set for what BK has in mind.

Although, I could be chatting absolute bollocks :cool:
  • GoosebeeGoosebee Posts: 5,289
    Forum Member
    I'd agree with this. Also I have complete faith in BK. I was sceptical recently but am starting to see where the how could go now and there are a fair few characters I have an investment in. Still a bit gutted Bart left though :-(
This discussion has been closed.