Will Peter Capaldi be as big a draw as David Tennant?

TLC1098TLC1098 Posts: 1,780
Forum Member
✭✭✭
David Tennant was one of the bggest draws the show has ever had. He brought his owns fan with him when he became The Doctor and it give the show millions of views and possibly the highest ratings in history. However I have a feeling that Peter could be another Tennant type Doctor so instead of the ratings dropping could they possibly rise?

Comments

• PiippPiipp Posts: 2,440
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I certainly think Capaldi being a well known actor will work as an advantage. He'll bring in people who like him as an actor. Yes, we might lose some young girls because they don't find him attractive but I think we'll gain more than we lose. Matt was an unknown for the most part when he was cast so he didn't bring in a great deal of viewers who wanted to watch purely for him. I think it's clear from the reaction Capaldi has had that he will bring in viewers who wouldn't have watched before. I know a number of people who have said they will watch because he's in it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 86
    Forum Member
    I honestly had never heard of David Tennant before he became the Doctor. I think he was relatively unknown. Not sure how many fans he brought with him, but it couldn't have been many. Peter Capaldi must surely have a bigger fan base than any other doctor at the start of his reign. It all depends if his fan base are Doctor Who fans or The Thick Of It fans (or both) as to whether they will be interested and stay the course.. (Doctor Who isn't for everyone ;)
  • saralundsaralund Posts: 3,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My 20+ daughter is planning to start watching DW for the first time, only because she adores him as Malcolm Tucker. I'm not sure any Doctor has had quite such a big fanbase before he even starts.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 748
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LaniGrey wrote: »
    I honestly had never heard of David Tennant before he became the Doctor. I think he was relatively unknown. Not sure how many fans he brought with him, but it couldn't have been many. Peter Capaldi must surely have a bigger fan base than any other doctor at the start of his reign. It all depends if his fan base are Doctor Who fans or The Thick Of It fans (or both) as to whether they will be interested and stay the course.. (Doctor Who isn't for everyone ;)

I remember a few of my female friends only watched the show for him and they even watched Broadchuch aswell because of him with no interest in the plots just to drool over David Tennant. :rolleyes:

As for Peter I'm sure he has a big fanbase so he could bring new fans to the show.
  • HelboreHelbore Posts: 16,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    David Tennant was a nobody when he first became the Doctor. He gained female fans due to his exposure on the show, not the other way around.

Look back on threads from the series 2 opening. Back when he first started, this forum was flooded with people saying how bad he was and how the show would be cancelled within a year. For anyone who remembers that time, it was a good laugh when people started prophesising the death of the show after Smith started and its another good laugh when you read more naysayers saying the same over Capaldi.

I guarantee you that when series 8 airs, this forum will be inundated with posters saying how Capaldi doesn't live up to Smith and longing for the Smith/Gillan era - and we all remember the "I can't warm to Amy," thread! That's just the way Doctor Who goes in the modern, internet era.

I expect ratings and AI will remain consistent through the Capaldi era, too. But We'll still here how it doesn't match the Smith era. Just watch. ;)
  • Scorpio2Scorpio2 Posts: 5,632
    Forum Member
    Casting a well known actor is a very good idea because it does bring their fans to the show and they end up liking it that = more Who fans.
    That was one of Matt Smiths big problems hardly anyone knew him and he brought no one to the show and basically all of Tennants fans left.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 748
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Helbore wrote: »
    David Tennant was a nobody when he first became the Doctor. He gained female fans due to his exposure on the show, not the other way around.

Look back on threads from the series 2 opening. Back when he first started, this forum was flooded with people saying how bad he was and how the show would be cancelled within a year. For anyone who remembers that time, it was a good laugh when people started prophesising the death of the show after Smith started and its another good laugh when you read more naysayers saying the same over Capaldi.

I guarantee you that when series 8 airs, this forum will be inundated with posters saying how Capaldi doesn't live up to Smith and longing for the Smith/Gillan era - and we all remember the "I can't warm to Amy," thread! That's just the way Doctor Who goes in the modern, internet era.

I expect ratings and AI will remain consistent through the Capaldi era, too. But We'll still here how it doesn't match the Smith era. Just watch. ;)

What were peoples opinions on Eccleson when series 1 first aired?
  • HelboreHelbore Posts: 16,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jimthepig wrote: »
    What were peoples opinions on Eccleson when series 1 first aired?

I can't remember the general opinion as I wasn't a big internet follower when it first aired, but I know I was an old school fan who thought he was totally wrong for the part and his look in the teasers was not the Doctor on any level at all. The less said about what I thought of Billie "Crap teenage singer," Piper, the better.

But I was a total convert on both of them by the end of "Rose." Whilst there were parts of the episode I loved (eg. the Doctor's speech about what it means to be him) and parts I cringed like someone who was trying to convince an outsider that this show was really good sometimes (eg. Plastic Mickey and the burping wheelie bin), the thing that held it together was Eccelston and Piper. I really didn't expect Billie to be any good, but she was. I knew Chris could act, but I was blown away by his Doctor. He kept me hooked for the series and it was a gut punch when they (after only one episode) announced he was leaving.

So I can't talk for the general reaction, but that was mine.

I loved Tennant and Smith, too, BTW.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 426
    Forum Member
    Helbore wrote: »
    I can't remember the general opinion as I wasn't a big internet follower when it first aired, but I know I was an old school fan who thought he was totally wrong for the part and his look in the teasers was not the Doctor on any level at all. The less said about what I thought of Billie "Crap teenage singer," Piper, the better.

But I was a total convert on both of them by the end of "Rose." Whilst there were parts of the episode I loved (eg. the Doctor's speech about what it means to be him) and parts I cringed like someone who was trying to convince an outsider that this show was really good sometimes (eg. Plastic Mickey and the burping wheelie bin), the thing that held it together was Eccelston and Piper. I really didn't expect Billie to be any good, but she was. I knew Chris could act, but I was blown away by his Doctor. He kept me hooked for the series and it was a gut punch when they (after only one episode) announced he was leaving.

So I can't talk for the general reaction, but that was mine.

I loved Tennant and Smith, too, BTW.

Having joined the show when when the reboot air and finding the fan forums a short time later, the reaction to Eccelston was that he wasn't the "proper look" for the Doctor. Hair too short, a Doctor would never wear a leather jacket and most famously, the Doctor would never have a Northern accent. Again people predicted Davies would fail, DW would be cancelled within the year, etc.

I will say that 95% of the people saying they will never watch PC as Twelve will still be here writing drivel a year from now. I may have not liked all companions or Doctors equally but the production team hasn't hit a wrong note with casting since NuWho began.

Now, the real question is whether The Moff can write some great stories for Twelve.
  • johnnysaucepnjohnnysaucepn Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member
    For my money, Capaldi's on much the same level as Eccleston, visibility-wise. A popular actor, well-known but not quite household name, but very respected in his field, in the middle of a long career.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i fancied the pants of tennant before who!!! i loved taking over the asylum I have gone off him as he got older. I did however love the brown suit & converse trainers look.

PC i reckon can get a glint in his eye and make a ladies legs turn to jelly, not so sure if it'll work for younger girls but then a 20 year old male companion in tight jeans should sort that one out...
  • shortcrustshortcrust Posts: 1,546
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think a lot of people will be very curious to see what he's like in the role. His first episode may have very high ratings and if they like what they see as much as I hope they will then the show could see a surge in popularity.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The rating of Dr Who has always bounced between 7-9million regardless of the Dr and era - even back in old Who when there were more stations.

Very very few people watch just for the actor playing the Dr - if it pulls a few more viewers in - great - if some viewers leave simply because they were only watching the show because of the actor who played the Dr - no great loss there.

The show has always been solid enough with good showrunners, writers and actors playing the Dr and assistants to give an enjoyable show for people to sit down and watch on a Saturday night.
  • owlycherriesowlycherries Posts: 2,384
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think he could be a good draw. I just hope to God that Moffat gives him a really good opening episode.:S
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think he could be a good draw. I just hope to God that Moffat gives him a really good opening episode.:S

Moffat has been very reliable when it comes to series openers.
    The Eleventh Hour, The Impossible Astronaut and Bells - all ranging from good to brilliant.
  • hypergreenfroghypergreenfrog Posts: 1,323
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am not sure if it really makes that much of a difference in the long run.

The casting of a well known actor like Peter Capaldi has raised more media attention, that is true. But will it actually make people who didn't watch DW up to now watch and like the show?

I expect shortcrust's scenario is the most likely - many casual and completely new viewers will try it out, but if the format is not for you, then no actor playing the Doctor will make you stick with it. And as much as I personally like DW, it's definitely not for everyone.
  • mikey1980mikey1980 Posts: 3,647
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As has been previously stated, David Tennant was largely unknown before he became the Doctor. Playing such an iconic role gained him a fanbase; it wasn't the other way round, he didn't bring a fanbase to Doctor Who. So I wouldn't expect the well-known Peter Calpadi to lose the franchise any viewers!
  • Shawn_LunnShawn_Lunn Posts: 9,353
    Forum Member
    Yes, he will be. The show has moved on from David and Peter is sublime.
  • The_BonoboThe_Bonobo Posts: 5,643
    Forum Member
    Capaldi will bring new viewers to the show. A different type of viewer perhaps. Whether they will stay watching is not so certain. I think it will be somewhat similar to Eccleston who was also a well known and respected actor known for many adult roles. I had heard of Tennant before he started but he was much less well known, and had never heard of Smith. Both of them did well in the part, however, but it is mainly the show that attracts (more importantly keeps) viewers.
  • Jennell_SierakoJennell_Sierako Posts: 407
    Forum Member
    I think it depends on a lot of things. My 2nd, 3rd and 4th kids love Dr Who but when they saw a picture of Capaldi they were less than impressed. I am waiting to see what he's like before making any sort of judgment.
  • The_BonoboThe_Bonobo Posts: 5,643
    Forum Member
    I think it depends on a lot of things. My 2nd, 3rd and 4th kids love Dr Who but when they saw a picture of Capaldi they were less than impressed. I am waiting to see what he's like before making any sort of judgment.

You should have shown them this pic...

http://i4.mirror.co.uk/incoming/article1484907.ece/ALTERNATES/s615/Peter-Capaldi-1484907.jpg

rather than this...

http://www.radiotimes.com/namedimage/Doctor_Who__Peter_Capaldi_favourite_to_replace_Matt_Smith.jpg?quality=85&mode=crop&width=620&height=374&404=tv&url=/uploads/images/original/34559.jpg

;)
  • NoseyLouieNoseyLouie Posts: 5,651
    Forum Member
    Well put it this way my dad will be watching from the 50th anniversary onwards, he is a big John Hurt fan and now Capaldi has the role of the doctor that just added the must watch element.:)

In my view he is going to attract quite a few new who viewers. Which is great!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,692
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    An unpopular view but I was actually getting fed up with David Tennant and was glad he left. The final episode when he went around saying goodbye to everyone was so self indulgent.
    I suppose people who are not happy with the new choice of doctor will have to put up with it until he leaves, nothing you can do about it. I had to put up with Amy who drove me mad, so theres always someone or something you don't like. For me, its also about the stories, the guest actors that have been on and the assistants, its not just about the doctor.