Your 1st tv you owned?

I remember getting one for xmas it was a portable b&w with a telescopic ariel that would run off 12 volts in the event of a power cut. i think it was a phillips.

Do you remember the 1st tv you owned?

Comments

• mac2708mac2708 Posts: 3,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry for the digression and nostalgia............

Although not owned by me personally the first TV bought by a member of my family was a Cossor 929 in 1953 http://www.thevalvepage.com/dbase/cossor/926.jpg

The first TV my dad bought in 1954 was a Regentone 'Big15' http://www.thevalvepage.com/tvmanu/regentone/regentone.htm

The first TV I actually owned (circa 1977) was a Bush CTV1122
    http://www.oldtechnology.net/colour3.html#bushctv1122
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,329
    Forum Member
    mac2708 wrote: »
    The first TV I actually owned (circa 1977) was a Bush CTV1122
    http://www.oldtechnology.net/colour3.html#bushctv1122

Nice sets - I repaired LOAD'S of those over the years :D
  • stylostylo Posts: 368
    Forum Member
    Winston_1 wrote: »
    WHAT. Ariel is washing powder!!
    You cleverly 'corrected' someone before on this simple error, but messed it up yourself...

post by Winston_1...
    'That's because aerial is washing powder, an antique motor bike, the 4th moon of Uranus, or a BBC internal newspaper. Try an aerial instead!'

Give it a rest aye :rolleyes:
  • FIFA1966FIFA1966 Posts: 1,101
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The 1st TV that I remember getting is the McMichael TV.
  • alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member
    Winston_1 wrote: »
    It's a very common error, but it is important people know the right word.

Unless you are going to correct every word that someone posts then it's not worth it......or are some words more or less important? :D
  • stylostylo Posts: 368
    Forum Member
    alan1302 wrote: »
    Unless you are going to correct every word that someone posts then it's not worth it......or are some words more or less important? :D

Probably best just to use another word instead, like 'anntena' :D
  • rocketronnie75rocketronnie75 Posts: 400
    Forum Member
    My first one was a Amstrad TV+VCR Combo. Can't remember the model.
  • LumstormLumstorm Posts: 447
    Forum Member
    Mine was a Panasonic portable I got for Christmas in 85 for use with my Spectrum. I still have it in the spare room and it still works perfectly as well.
  • DinoDino Posts: 1,996
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My first was a Pye B&W portable with rotary tuner. Gran gave it me in the early 80s when she got a new colour one.

Programmed my first Spectrum game using that set.
  • Pink KnightPink Knight Posts: 24,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I went through a couple of hand me downs. A 20 inch Ferguson with a silver casing. Then the same TV but in a black case. Can't remember the models, but late 80's.

The first TV I bought was a 20 inch Nicam Hitachi in 1991.Dark Grey with speakers in the sides.
    From Comet, cost me £259. Was still going till a few months ago, but did have to give it an Onslow clout recently to get the picture on. Was kept in a spare room and when I took it to the tip, had a tear in my eye.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My first TV was a Grundig portable colour tv which I got about 1981 along with an Atari 2600. Best Christmas present ever, and mum and dad were still using it until a few years back in their gym in the back porch.
    Hardy little set that was, and not many TV`s you get now will still be working well 30 years later.:D
  • Weigh-ManWeigh-Man Posts: 2,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had a couple of hand me downs but the first TV that I bought for myself was a 26" Toshiba Quadryl CRT.

I still have it to this day in my bedroom and it still works perfectly without a single breakdown in 25 years. They just don't build them like that anymore.
  • AidanLunnAidanLunn Posts: 5,320
    Forum Member
    I went through a couple of hand me downs. A 20 inch Ferguson with a silver casing. Then the same TV but in a black case. Can't remember the models, but late 80's.

The first TV I bought was a 20 inch Nicam Hitachi in 1991.Dark Grey with speakers in the sides.
    From Comet, cost me £259. Was still going till a few months ago, but did have to give it an Onslow clout recently to get the picture on. Was kept in a spare room and when I took it to the tip, had a tear in my eye.

Would have been no need to bin it - if it just needs a clout to get it to work, then that's just dry joints. Any TV repairman could do that within 10 minutes of getting the back off.

Pity, that would have been a very rare set, I'm sure!
  • noise747noise747 Posts: 30,692
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My first TV personally was a Black and white Prinz portable, that I got in 1981 for my ZX81. It still works as well.
  • toastie15toastie15 Posts: 3,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A Pye Rambler 12 b&w set that had push button selection for channels felt so posh when my friends had to turn a rotary knob to change channels, had it hooked up to my ZX81 showing my age now:D:D:D upgraded to a remote control colour Hitachi of same size that still works!
  • jjnejjne Posts: 6,580
    Forum Member
    Philips 18 or 19" G8-chassis TV (unsure of the model number) with a 6-position rotary channel selector in place of the usual 3+3 Philips push-button layout. Discarded when the selector fell apart and we couldn't find another one (were told that the push-button selector would work but I don't believe that was true as they were physically different sizes).

TV service bloke seemed to think that this particular set was a Pye design rather than Philips, and was built around 1976.

Not the best picture quality or build, but it didn't give much trouble it must be said -- MUCH more reliable than the Ferguson Colourstar of a similar vintage we had downstairs, which went through three tubes in its ten or so year life.

Indeed I was convinced that four years was "about average" for a CRT tube, and was astonished when I realised that friends' Japanese TVs (Sanyo, Sony etc) were happily running for 10 or 15 years with as-new picture quality!
  • soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A cheap Saisho 14" CRT from Dixons. It was actually bought for my F-in-law to have in hospital but when he came out we were moving into out first place so he donated it to us. It did ok until we could afford a big size telly then it was used as a spare around the family. The volume control wore so I unsoldered it and did a swap with the contrast pot. I also replaced the remote with a cheap programmable one that just had a few basic like buttons - on/off, volume +/- and channel up/down. It finally went in the skip at digital switch over having been lent out umpteen times. So must of had 25 plus years service all told.
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,329
    Forum Member
    jjne wrote: »
    Philips 18 or 19" G8-chassis TV (unsure of the model number) with a 6-position rotary channel selector in place of the usual 3+3 Philips push-button layout. Discarded when the selector fell apart and we couldn't find another one (were told that the push-button selector would work but I don't believe that was true as they were physically different sizes).

TV service bloke seemed to think that this particular set was a Pye design rather than Philips, and was built around 1976.

The G8 was a Philips design - but as it was a small set, it might have been the CT200 which was a Pye design for small screens, and later than the G8's.
    Forum Member
    The G8 was a Philips design - but as it was a small set, it might have been the CT200 which was a Pye design for small screens, and later than the G8's.

Possible. I've had a look at a couple of pictures of the CT200, and despite the right-hand side not matching our set (which was Philips branded) the general look and relative dimensions do look familiar. Also familiar are the tales of the picture on these sets being generally a bit crap -- ours did indeed have problems with focussing and flaring at high brightness (only cured by reducing the contrast right down).

This set did match the general interface of the G8 though -- pull-down six channel selector/tuner module, Philips slanted power button etc.
    Forum Member
    Having looked into it a bit more, it's most likely that the set I owned was a Philips 570, which was indeed based on a later version of the Pye CT200.

Seems these sets aren't much loved by the industry, though as I say my particular set gave the Thorn Ferguson we had a sound thrashing in reliability terms. Wouldn't mind working out what that was actually -- 1976 (maybe 1977), 22", fake wood surround with mostly black plastic front, four vertical sliders (volume/brightness/contrast/colour), round silver on/off button, six small, round silver channel selectors in a horizontal row just numbered 1 through 6 (the 1 and 3 buttons had lost their latches so sprung out of the TV when changing channels), channel tuner pots around the back. Very washed out picture even with a brand-new tube, and the tubes themselves (Mazda-manufactured I believe) didn't last more than four years each.
  • neo_walesneo_wales Posts: 13,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A B&W Sony portable back in 1973, cost a blooming fortune back then but worked really well and did the last time I tried it a few years ago (its in storage these days, has been for yonks).