Explosion at Boston Marathon

Comments

• jzeejzee Posts: 25,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Now up on youtube
    jzee wrote: »
    He clarifies it as 2006 in the second interview, so Tamerlan would have been about 19, Djokhar 13, & he seems to have stayed in relatively regular phone contact up to 2009 when he says he broke off contact with the parents as he disapproved of the way they bringing the kids up, I assume he means the arguing/screaming that went on, although he doesn't elaborate on that. He says that he also had a conversation with Tamerlan in 2009, and he stated in response to Ruslan's question about what he was doing for work, Tamerlan responded :

"In god's will, Inshallah"

"I will be doing what he wants"

He recognised this & other parts of the conversation were the same type of language used by people that:

"put entire caucasuses into war", "Chechnya was burning almost for 10 years....just because of people like that"

He persisted in saying Tamerlan needed to study or work, but he responded that the uncle was "confused" and "an infidel".

He says the father lost control over the family some time before 2009. He contacted a mutual friend in the area, who told him Tamerlan had been brainwashed by an Armenian convert to Islam, and had no longer showed respect for his own father. Uncle states those who now preach jihad, such as this convert,

"don't understand what jihad is... I wish these people knew what they were talking about"

"Just go and find the truth, it's a way to morality, a way to be a good person"

questioner "did that suggest radicalization to you at the time?"

Ruslan: "it suggests that is when it started..it started right there in Cambridge in 2009"

"The seed was planted there, he didn't bring it from Dagestan...using Chechnya is irrelevent at all..they have nothing to do with Chechnya..they never lived in Chechnya
    "

"Their mother is Dagestani, and they more lean towards mother, which somehow offended us...we were the ones who more more cared about them, supported them
    "

interviewer "what kind of influence do you think Tamerlan had on Dzhokhar?"

Ruslan: "big time influence..the influence of looking up for older brother...even in conversation with Tamerlan he tried to be so persuasive with me..he knows me...he knows how harsh I am..how strict I am...and this kid who was just looking up at me...I was his hero...he was one of my favourite...I had all hopes in him...I just wanted him to be older brother to my children..."

"so all of a sudden he started lecturing me..when I was even asking Tamerlan, wait, be reasonable...but he said...

"the life is wrong" this is wrong"

interviewer "do you have any knowledge that Tamerlan was espousing his views towards Dzhokhar?"

Ruslan: "Indeed, yes, I assumed that..because mother also at the same time, the mother change her attire, only attire, not her behaviour, she just ...hijab on herself...she had not done it before....some time in 2008...I was shocked to see that..as I knew nothing had changed in her morals..she hasn't become a better person...

"Dzhokhar was just a kid..I hoped since he was in school, he would not be exposed to that..nonsense...I thought it was not serious..they jumped from one to the other..what is the fashion today"

"Dzhokhar has been used by his older brother. He used him as...it's not even as an accomplice..as some kind of instrument"

"I say even if I were among the spectators, he would not stop going there. So the person that brought so much suffering, 200 people, 4 dead, Martin, Krystle, Lingzi Lu, student, young officer who just started his career..all grief he brought"

"he used his younger brother, he wasted his life...he messed up his own..that's why he decided to take lives of innocent people, hurt innocent people.. I believe he is full of evil, he turned to be evil, confused, entirely confused...but there is no any..there were no political views, based on what I know about him"

interviewer: "what would be your message to Dzhokhar now?"

Ruslan: "I would say Dzhokhar, say everything, everything you know, even say what you feel, be honest, lay it out, lay it out all. In time, he will realize what he has done...He has no clue what he was doing"

"we have losses in our family ...but ...I am just questioning myself whether I personally have right to mourn them at this moment"

he ends the interview in tears

http://edition.cnn.com/video/#/video/us/2013/04/20/suspect-uncle-long.cnn
  • slick1twoslick1two Posts: 2,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    skipjack79 wrote: »
    I think the term goes something along the lines of "once in a hole, stop digging". You've been proven wrong, but seem unable to admit it.

Proven wrong? This isn't a contest. I really don't mind being proven wrong. I really couldn't care. I put across my opinion and questions and thats it. Some of you take this all too seriously.
  • phylo_roadkingphylo_roadking Posts: 21,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They had gunpowder

IIRC the only "reliable" comment...I.E. not press speculation only...on gunpowder was from Mike McCaul, a Texas Rep. in Congress and Chair of the House Committee on Homeland Security...but the FBI hadn't yet reported officially on the explosives used in the pressure cooker bombs when he did so...
  • Early BirdEarly Bird Posts: 2,147
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bollywood wrote: »
    It was mostly the younger brother, and he may not have estimated how good the security cameras were.
    seriously, in this day and age.... there are cameras everywhere........ as a young lad, he would know that!
    I would understand that if this were the bombing campaign by the IRA back in the 70/80 and 90's........ as the technology was utter rubbish, but with phones nowadays having cameras (decent ones at that) and even the smallest of store cameras will pick up events and people, etc......... and the fact that there was a large number of press photographers as well....... he should have atleast made a concerted effort to hide his face somewhat......

WHY did the Police marksmen shoot him in the throat? surely this would defeat the purpose of gaining valuable information from the suspect.....

Terrorists come in all shapes and sizes, they are not just muslim... Unless you wish to label the IRA as Muslim as well.....
  • valkayvalkay Posts: 15,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Early Bird wrote: »
    seriously, in this day and age.... there are cameras everywhere........ as a young lad, he would know that!
    ...[/QUOTE

I don't think they are as common in The U.S. as they are here. We are the most spied upon nation in the world.
  • skipjack79skipjack79 Posts: 3,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    WHY did the Police marksmen shoot him in the throat? surely this would defeat the purpose of gaining valuable information from the suspect.....

I doubt they were deliberately aiming at his throat. Remember he was a moving target with a weapon, they were probably aiming at his head.
  • James2001James2001 Posts: 73,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And even then, I don't think losing the ability to talk can stop him giving information, he can still write and type, surely? If Stephen Hawking can still communicate, he'll be able to as long as he's not brain damaged or stuck in a coma.
  • bollywoodbollywood Posts: 67,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would understand that if this were the bombing campaign by the IRA back in the 70/80 and 90's........ as the technology was utter rubbish, but with phones nowadays having cameras (decent ones at that) and even the smallest of store cameras will pick up events and people, etc......... and the fact that there was a large number of press photographers as well....... he should have atleast made a concerted effort to hide his face somewhat......

Terrorists come in all shapes and sizes, they are not just muslim... Unless you wish to label the IRA as Muslim as well.....

He might have assumed there was no camera that would catch all his movements. Some people just are not thinking clearly. Recall that his mother made the same judgment error when allegedly shoplifting. She would know there was security. He might have thought he had more time til they spotted him.

Are you sure the marksman hit him in the throat? Rumor that he tried to off himself, also.

Hospitals have boards with letters on them. If he comes out of sedation he can use it. Even yes no questions would help.
  • phylo_roadkingphylo_roadking Posts: 21,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And even then, I don't think losing the ability to talk can stop him giving information, he can still write and type, surely? If Stephen Hawking can still communicate, he'll be able to as long as he's not brain damaged or stuck in a coma

Well, that's the thing, isn't it???

Shot in the neck...and found "covered in blood"...I wonder if the blood supply to the brain was halted/impaired and for how long...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 87,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ex-CIA deputy director: Boston bombing ‘more like Columbine than al Qaeda’
    http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2013/04/21/ex-cia-deputy-director-boston-bombing-more-like-columbine-than-al-qaeda/
  • stargazer61stargazer61 Posts: 70,882
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    James2001 wrote: »
    And even then, I don't think losing the ability to talk can stop him giving information, he can still write and type, surely? If Stephen Hawking can still communicate, he'll be able to as long as he's not brain damaged or stuck in a coma.

It may well be that the loss of blood over 24 hours (in addition to the neck wound) could contribute to impaired brain function
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought he shot himself in a failed suicide attempt? Not a police strike?
  • Ethel_FredEthel_Fred Posts: 34,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    WHY did the Police marksmen shoot him in the throat?.
    Given the number of rounds fired into the boat (and the car in the earlier incident) I doubt if they were aiming anywhere in particular.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shadow2009 wrote: »
    I thought he shot himself in a failed suicide attempt? Not a police strike?
    Media speculation
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ex-CIA deputy director: Boston bombing ‘more like Columbine than al Qaeda’
    http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2013/04/21/ex-cia-deputy-director-boston-bombing-more-like-columbine-than-al-qaeda/

Al Qaeda were discounted from a very early stage. Although the older brother had links with radical Islamist groups in the Caucasus, the general consensus seems to be that they had planned this Jihadist inspired operation off their own backs, with possible outside assistance.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    skipjack79 wrote: »
    Al Qaeda were discounted from a very early stage. Although the older brother had links with radical Islamist groups in the Caucasus, the general consensus seems to be that they had planned this Jihadist inspired operation off their own backs, with possible outside assistance.
    If it's more Columbine then it wouldn't be Jihadist. And as far as can be determined the "outside assistance" was an internet connection.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ethel_Fred wrote: »
    If it's more Columbine then it wouldn't be Jihadist. And as far as can be determined the "outside assistance" was an internet connection.

He was talking from a legal perspective. Nobody seriously doubts that this wasn't a Jihadist inspired attack, apart from perhaps yourself. He says "Two kids who radicalized between themselves in a closed circle go out and commit murder. I would charge these guys as murders". That is why he was referring to Columbine.
  • bollywoodbollywood Posts: 67,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The point of the article was they might have latched on to ' the ideology.'

That would be using the religion to rationalize their acts.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bombing suspect disrupted Cambridge mosque
    http://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2013/04/21/marathon-bombing-suspect-outbursts-had-disturbed-cambridge-mosque-goers/LkZnWkXgaRZcMDUdE6V9jM/story.html?s_campaign=sm_tw

Sadly the Boston Globe is reverting to subscription-only tomorrow.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 761
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Showing your ignorance there. Timothy McVeigh didn't 'work alone' :rolleyes: One of his accomplices was convicted, and there is plenty of evidence to suggest that there were others.

The fate of Terry Nichols is interesting, since people seem to suggest that Dzhokhar Tsarnaev will "definately" be sentenced to death in a federal trial.
    After a federal trial in 1997, Nichols was convicted of conspiracy to use a weapon of mass destruction and eight counts of involuntary manslaughter for killing federal law enforcement personnel. He was sentenced to life imprisonment without the possibility of parole because the jury deadlocked on the death penalty.
  • basdfgbasdfg Posts: 6,764
    Forum Member
    Tubtui wrote: »
    The fate of Terry Nichols is interesting, since people seem to suggest that Dzhokhar Tsarnaev will "definately" be sentenced to death in a federal trial.
    There's also other names on that website convicted of terrorism charges who have not recived death penalty.
  • thomas painthomas pain Posts: 2,318
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jzee wrote: »
    He clarifies it as 2006 in the second interview,

end of 2005 .. 2006 .. same thing.

i rather listen to his friends and relatives that were around him rather than this uncle that last saw them nearly 10 years ago.
  • jzeejzee Posts: 25,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They likely knew they would be caught within a week or so, possibly they were caught a bit earlier than they had planned upon. The eventual confrontation with the police may have been part of the plan, or possible they planned to bomb a police station or something similar.
    The uncle says the eldest brother was brainwashed by an Armenian convert to Islam in the Cambridge area in or before 2009. It isn't clear what the elder brother was doing in Dagestan & Chechnya for 6 months last year, one of the relatives say he was just visiting relatives, presumably that's what he told them, whether that was true, it seems quite possibly, given what has since occured that it wasn't, and he visited Islamists there.

i rather listen to his friends and relatives that were around him rather than this uncle that last saw them nearly 10 years ago.
    And so you're just ignoring the information he has about the radicalization of the elder brother, the fact the parents were unreliable, not providing a stable household, that the mother at one point abruptly started wearing a hijab, OK, then:rolleyes:.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The interview with their uncle is quite emotional, and you can't help but feel for him. The essence of the interview is regarding how he was rejected and lost contact with Tamerlan after his nephew's indoctrination into Islam. It also sounds like the brothers had a big influence over their rather mad sounding mother.

There's an interesting article here that attempts to explain why these two brothers, who seemingly had a comfortable and relatively normal life, went out and commited such a heinous crime.

http://www.americanthinker.com/2013/04
This discussion has been closed.