What are you reading at the moment? (Part 4)

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,187
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lizzy11268 wrote: »
    Just finished "The Death Cure" the third book in the Maze Runner trilogy (YA novels)

I read these because they were recommended by people who loved The Hunger Games trilogy which I did - I have to say I really enjoyed all the Maze Runner books even though they didnt draw me in as much as Hunger Games did. I would recommend them though.

Now started another YA novel - Ashes by Ilsa J Bick. So far it is really impressing me. The premise is - One day a massive electo magnetic pulse destroys almost everything, leaving some survivors with superhuman senses and turns some into zombie like creatures.

The main character is engaging and the writing is good - I'm kind of hoping this turns into a trilogy as well :)

I have to say, since I started my quest to find the best YA fiction out there, I have read some awesome books - the standard really is very high and in a lot of cases beats so called Adult fiction hands down.

Absolutely agree! I've just finished The Maze Runner and really enjoyed it, am just about to start the second one.

I've also got my hands on Ashes so that's on my to read list now too.

I'm really enjoying YA fiction and yes, alot of it is better than 'grown up' books!! :)

Thanks for the great recommendations!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 30
    Forum Member
    Stay close by Harlen Coben
  • JESS24JESS24 Posts: 5,880
    Forum Member
    The Girl Who Played With Fire - Stieg Larsson
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,993
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Finbar's Hotel, edited by Dermot Bolger. Seven interlinking chapters, each set in a different room of the hotel in Dublin. Each chapter written by one of Ireland's well respected writers: Dermot Bolger, Roddy Doyle, Anne Enright, Hugo Hamilton, Jennifer Johnston, Joseph O'Connor and Colm Toibin. Typically Irish, funny and poignant in turn.
  • AbrielAbriel Posts: 8,525
    Forum Member
    The Thread, Victoria Hislop and Windfall, Penny Vicenzi
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm halfway through The Scorch Trials, the second in the Maze Runner Trilogy.

But I took a break this afternoon and read a short-ish book called 0.4 by Mike Lancaster. Quite an interesting story, about a boy who tells his story on an old cassette recorder for future generations to find and the story is about a particular strange event that changed the world and everyone in it. Pretty good for a quick afternoon read.

Now back to the Scorch Trials....
  • Beautiful_HarvBeautiful_Harv Posts: 9,144
    Forum Member
    Linda Grant - When i lived in modern times
  • MrstimmyMrstimmy Posts: 1,960
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes I have. I enjoyed it a lot without loving it completely. Definitely worth a read! Probably because its not my favourite genre it was never going to go into my top 10 but its very very good. Enjoy :)

I'm just over 100 pages in and really enjoying it! Do you know any books similar? :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 90
    Forum Member
    The Sound of Thunder - Wilbur Smith
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Finished reading The Scorch Trials last night. I enjoyed it, and will read the 3rd instalment very soon as I really want to see what the outcome to the whole story is. Although I think I preferred the Maze Runner to this one.

I've just started The Bay at Midnight by Diane Chamberlain, after reading and loving The Midwife's Confession. Not got very far yet but think I will like this one too. Even though it's not even 7pm yet, I'm going to slope off to bed shortly for a good long reading session. :)
    Forum Member
    poppycat wrote: »
    Finished reading The Scorch Trials last night. I enjoyed it, and will read the 3rd instalment very soon as I really want to see what the outcome to the whole story is. Although I think I preferred the Maze Runner to this one.

I've just started The Bay at Midnight by Diane Chamberlain, after reading and loving The Midwife's Confession. Not got very far yet but think I will like this one too. Even though it's not even 7pm yet, I'm going to slope off to bed shortly for a good long reading session. :)

Picked this up from the library today, so will be starting this soon
  • JESS24JESS24 Posts: 5,880
    Forum Member
    Stieg Larsson - The Girl Who Kicked the Hornets Nest
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 26,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mrstimmy wrote: »
    I'm just over 100 pages in and really enjoying it! Do you know any books similar? :)

I loved this one which "felt" the same if you get what I mean.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Thread-Victoria-Hislop/dp/0755377753/ref=pd_cp_b_2

Also....

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fall-Giants-Ken-Follett/dp/0330460552/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1339339368&sr=1-1

The Ken Follett one is a massive one and set to be part of a trilogy.
  • d0lphind0lphin Posts: 25,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just finished my last book which I didn't really enjoy but I felt obliged to read it as my friend had lent to to me, I hate it when that happens!

Anyway I am already 50 pages into my next book which is Tell Me No Secrets by Julie Corbin. I'm enjoying it, a much lighter read than the last book!
    Forum Member
    Kimberley Chambers- The Traitor
  • -Sid--Sid- Posts: 29,365
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    d0lphin wrote: »
    Just finished my last book which I didn't really enjoy but I felt obliged to read it as my friend had lent to to me, I hate it when that happens!

Anyway I am already 50 pages into my next book which is Tell Me No Secrets by Julie Corbin. I'm enjoying it, a much lighter read than the last book!

I read that recently (thought it was average, gave it 3 stars on Amazon!) and have just read something similar (but better, in my opinion). Thank you Lizzy for recommending Beautiful Malice by Rebecca James :) An engrossing and unsettling story which I finished in a couple of sittings.

Am going to read The Happy Home For Broken Hearts by Rowan Coleman next.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 449
    Forum Member
    Left Neglected - by - Lisa Genova
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 77
    Forum Member
    Just finished re-reading Game of Thrones by GRR Martin. It was good to read it again and pick up on things I missed first time around, also sad as I know what what is in store for the characters.

Have just started Dragon Keeper (The Rainwild Chronicles) Book 1 by Robin Hobb. Have really loved all her other books I have read so looking forward to this trilogy. Also it's my first Kindle book!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 26,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    -Sid- wrote: »
    I read that recently (thought it was average, gave it 3 stars on Amazon!) and have just read something similar (but better, in my opinion). Thank you Lizzy for recommending Beautiful Malice by Rebecca James :) An engrossing and unsettling story which I finished in a couple of sittings.

Am going to read The Happy Home For Broken Hearts by Rowan Coleman next.

Glad you enjoyed it :)
  • trec123trec123 Posts: 4,419
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bring up the Bodies - Hilary Mantel.
    As some others have said, I found the writing style a little disconcerting at first (haven't read Wolf Hall), but I'm about a quarter way through it now and I'm completely hooked.
  • MrstimmyMrstimmy Posts: 1,960
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I loved this one which "felt" the same if you get what I mean.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Thread-Victoria-Hislop/dp/0755377753/ref=pd_cp_b_2

Also....

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fall-Giants-Ken-Follett/dp/0330460552/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1339339368&sr=1-1

The Ken Follett one is a massive one and set to be part of a trilogy.

Thanks, both of those sound really good! I'm hoping to get a Kindle for my birthday (tho it's not till October) May get the second book on kindle, think it'll be easier on my wrists!
  • TH14TH14 Posts: 11,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Die Trying, Lee Child
  • andallthatjazzandallthatjazz Posts: 6,413
    Forum Member
    The Fourth Estate by Jeffrey Archer
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12
    Forum Member
    Currently half way through The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams. I'm really enjoying it so far. :)
  • d0lphind0lphin Posts: 25,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Angury wrote: »
    Currently half way through The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams. I'm really enjoying it so far. :)

I am planning on re-reading the full set as my son has bought them. I rarely re-read books so it shows how good they are!