Comments

• nuttytiggernuttytigger Posts: 14,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes its true, it was on BBC News.
  • ROWLING2010ROWLING2010 Posts: 3,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On Amazon it has sold more than Harry Potter books did on there.

It is no where near and never will, over come the sheer volume of Harry Potter books sold world wide.
  • SHAFTSHAFT Posts: 4,369
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They're about on the same level of literary quality though.
  • thefairydandythefairydandy Posts: 3,235
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i think Snape could have lived, been revealed as a hero, and been reconciled with Harry. It would have been more satisfying for me.

Living (and dying) as a double agent must be the worst way to go.

Well, yes, but Snape had an awful, tortured life from day one, and even though he loved Lily, he was still a dick to her. Love redeemed him, but it still couldn't make him a nice person.

In the very first book, Snape saves Harry's life, still hating him for being the image of his father. It would have been totally out of character for him to skip off into the future with Harry, and he would have loathed to be seen as a hero, he was so full of self-loathing. He only revealed his love for Lily as a way to defeat Voldemort and make amends for her death.

And as for those who say it was a quicker on the draw wand fight at the end - from the very first book there were clues about the importance of wandlore. Harry wasn't quicker on the draw - he didn't need to be. He just needed to be the true master of the wand. Muggles, honestly :p.
  • Logan_ThomasLogan_Thomas Posts: 216
    Forum Member
    I always was in to minds for Harry calling his son Severus?
  • DSWNSMDSWNSM Posts: 1,801
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Alan Rickman plays him to perfection!

I agree . The best actor in all the films. I thought the kids were awful at playing their characters. It's a shame Richard Harris died after the second film , i thought he was a perfect Dumbledore. To be honest i thought all the adults were perfect, it was the kids that were poor, except for Tom Felton, i thought he was a good Draco Malfoy. It was the second film where i thought the kids went down hill...........you know when their voices broke :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I always was in to minds for Harry calling his son Severus?

Yeah i hated that , it think it's stupid.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the Harry Potter books are outstanding , if it wasn't for them i wouldn't be reading books today. I do get slightly annoyed when people say "I'm not reading it because it's a children's book" those people annoy me because what they don't understand is that they are not just for kids, if reading about people getting murdered is for kids then we may as well start calling horror books kids books. Just because it's about kids becoming witches and wizards and going to school it doesn't mean it is just for kids to read.

I'm very annoyed that that piece of garbage 50 shades of gray has over taken Harry Potter in sales on Amazon . I find it really annoying that people are buying this just because morons are saying how good it is , it's terrible that this book has made as much money as it has.

The only good thing that has come out of it is seeing the reviews on Amazon............look at all those 1 star ratings , i am sure if they could they would rate it 0 stars :D
  • Logan_ThomasLogan_Thomas Posts: 216
    Forum Member
    Snape
    Umbridge
    Ron

My fave!
  • far2coolfar2cool Posts: 6,334
    Forum Member
    Soooo glad I've seen this thread :D
    Forum Member
    DSWNSM wrote: »
    I agree . The best actor in all the films. I thought the kids were awful at playing their characters. It's a shame Richard Harris died after the second film , i thought he was a perfect Dumbledore. To be honest i thought all the adults were perfect, it was the kids that were poor, except for Tom Felton, i thought he was a good Draco Malfoy. It was the second film where i thought the kids went down hill...........you know when their voices broke :D

I'd agree with that, I also think that Robbie Coltrane and Maggie Smith were good castings
    Forum Member

I completely agree. I have only read OOTP once compared to 30+ times for the other books, partly because I don't like the whole depressing atmosphere of the book and how much of a brat Harry is, but a lot of it is because of how much I hate Umbridge. She is utterly detestable.

On my most recent reread, well re-listen as I chose the audiobooks this time, I thought about the OOTP, and decided that although it's not my favourite book of the series (Umbridge is so unbearable, everytime she pops up I just want to jump into the book and break out a cruciatus curse on the ho) it's definitely one of the best written
    Forum Member
    One of the things I thought could have been improved in the deathly hallows is, at the end, I felt that there could have been more of an aftermath,

I mean after Harry saw Snape's truth, 'died' so to speak, and finished off voldermort, I'd have liked to have seen more discussion of it with Ron and Hermione, I think they only have about 3 lines between them after V dies. and they're just about the hallows. and maybe similar, but not as detailed discussions with the minor characters, the weasleys, hagrid etc. I think it all came to an end rather abruptly.

I thought the '19 years later' bit was a bit naff, admittedly a nice touch to see them as adults, and I know that the hardcore female fans like it as they like to see them all pair-up, start families, and live happily ever after. but I wasn't easily as disney-fied
  • AddisonianAddisonian Posts: 16,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I feel like resurrecting this thread! :D
  • Bex_123Bex_123 Posts: 10,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Addisonian wrote: »
    I feel like resurrecting this thread! :D

:D I think I'll join you!

Which was your favourite of the books?
  • haphashhaphash Posts: 21,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm anoyed that garbage such as 50 shades has overtaken the far superior Potter series. It won't last of course. 50 shades will soon be forgotten but Harry Potter will live on.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bex_123 wrote: »
    :D I think I'll join you!

Which was your favourite of the books?
    Hello Bex :)

It's a tough question. It's a toss up between Prisoner of Azkaban and Goblet of Fire.
    I liked POA because that's when it started to get really dark and I loved the twist at the end with Ron's rat Scabbers
    But I remember really enjoying Goblet of Fire as well.

What about you?

Come to think of it, I'm gutted that there won't be any more .

I can't wait til my daughter is a bit older so that I can start reading them to her :D
  • Bex_123Bex_123 Posts: 10,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think I enjoyed them more and more as they went on, I find it hard to decide on a true favourite actually. I did rather love Order of the Phoenix though :)

I've never been into the films at all, I think because I grew up with the books and was stubborn.

Aww yes if I ever have children they will most certainly get Harry Potter read to them whether they like it or not :D
  • haphashhaphash Posts: 21,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    far2cool wrote: »
    One of the things I thought could have been improved in the deathly hallows is, at the end, I felt that there could have been more of an aftermath,

I mean after Harry saw Snape's truth, 'died' so to speak, and finished off voldermort, I'd have liked to have seen more discussion of it with Ron and Hermione, I think they only have about 3 lines between them after V dies. and they're just about the hallows. and maybe similar, but not as detailed discussions with the minor characters, the weasleys, hagrid etc. I think it all came to an end rather abruptly.

I thought the '19 years later' bit was a bit naff, admittedly a nice touch to see them as adults, and I know that the hardcore female fans like it as they like to see them all pair-up, start families, and live happily ever after. but I wasn't easily as disney-fied

I agree with all you've said. The Deathly Hallows was a great book until the end but I guess the difficulty is knowing where to end the story. I would have liked to hear more of what happened immediately after. Did Harry get an Order of Merlin first class? you would hope so but you don't know.
  • Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    far2cool wrote: »

Perhaps something darker and more ambiguous for the end might have been better. I have a scenario. A man with glasses, of about forty, and an unidentified woman are standing, by the Hogwarts train. The woman says to the man, 'Does this bring back the memories, Harry?' He answers, 'Sure does! Can't believe it was twenty-odd years ago.' She says, 'If you were somehow given the chance to turn back time, and have that first invite to the school never come to you, and forget all about life in the wizard world, and to have grown-up in the muggle world, never knowing any other-would you take it? In short, has it all been worth it?' Harry hesitates.

'You know-after all these years, after all this time, I still can't answer that,' say Harry. 'I may never be able to.' His eye meets that of a child in the train, who smiles slightly. Harry's answering look is half-smiling, half-sad, as he watches another generation taking the place given to him, all those years ago.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bex_123 wrote: »
    Aww yes if I ever have children they will most certainly get Harry Potter read to them whether they like it or not :D
    Haha! Luckily, I think she'll love them. She's only 20 months but she loves looking at the DVD covers and can tell you all the characters' names if you point to them.
    We were in a shopping centre once and there was a large poster of Emma Watson modelling in the window of a clothes store. My daughter just stood there pointing and screaming "Hermione! Hermione!" :D
  • ROWLING2010ROWLING2010 Posts: 3,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I LOVE all the books :D but if I had to pick a favourite it would be DHs.

My daughter regrets the fact that she persuaded me to take her to see PoA at cinema. Even now all these years later.

First time I'd heard of Harry Potter and I never knew it was a book series. In fact I thought the movie was over and then they went back in time :o

Once informed by said daughter that it was a book series and she had the book, I found it and started reading it. Bring on daughter practically throwing books at me. 'You read this one 1st, then this, then PoA and this'

So glad she didn't own a copy of OotP :o
  • IzzyInTheHouseIzzyInTheHouse Posts: 4,348
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love these books! My favourite series ever!
  • timebugtimebug Posts: 18,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well each to their own,as they say.I read them
    all aloud to grandchildren and found them to be
    tedious,badly written,badly plotted and with one
    dimensional characters.
    But they sold squillions,so what do I know?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    timebug wrote: »
    Well each to their own,as they say.I read them
    all aloud to grandchildren and found them to be
    tedious,badly written,badly plotted and with one
    dimensional characters.
    But they sold squillions,so what do I know?
    Oh come on! Wasn't there anything you enjoyed about them?