Doctor Who: Most Shocking Moment Ever?

WopsyWopsy Posts: 36
Forum Member
What is the single most defining shocking moment in the history of the show?

The death of Adric remains a firm contender, but is there another stronger moment which has actually stunned audiences leaving them shocked?

Comments

• Dave-HDave-H Posts: 9,939
    Forum Member
    The show coming back to mainstream TV in 2005 was the most shocking moment for me, as I never thought it would actually happen, letalone that it would become so big again, arguably bigger than it had ever been before!
    :)
  • Whovian1109Whovian1109 Posts: 1,812
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd wager a bet that 10's regeneration at the end of The Stolen Earth was a bit of a shock to the nation as it had us all questioning if they could slip a replacement under the radar.

That and the fact that the little stunt worked, pulling in 13 million the following week, still the highest non-Christmas ratings for a Who episode unless I'm sorely mistaken.
  • KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    Amy being a flesh creature and not the real Amy.
  • Tom TitTom Tit Posts: 2,554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The first episode where the doctor goes full-frontal nude.
  • KingsyKingsy Posts: 1,721
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd wager a bet that 10's regeneration at the end of The Stolen Earth was a bit of a shock to the nation as it had us all questioning if they could slip a replacement under the radar.

That and the fact that the little stunt worked, pulling in 13 million the following week, still the highest non-Christmas ratings for a Who episode unless I'm sorely mistaken.

This is the right answer. Masterstroke
  • trollfacetrollface Posts: 13,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bald Peri being all evil.

It's true they retconned it a few episodes later (much to Nichola Bryant's annoyance), but for a few brief, shining weeks, it was the best companion departure ever.
  • Dave3622Dave3622 Posts: 1,819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tom Tit wrote: »
    The first episode where the doctor goes full-frontal nude.

I'd have preferred that to happen in the last series to be honest!! Still, there's that episode where Adric allegedly has a boner in Castrovalva ;-)
  • MulettMulett Posts: 9,057
    Forum Member
    For me its when a companion dies. Adric and Peri's death were (in those pre-spoiler days) complete shocks. I have to say, too, that both deaths were pretty brutal and awful to watch.

Peri's was just monstrous, and Adric's death was utterly tragic.

I thought 10's fake-regeneration at the end of The Stolen Earth was superb, though, and completely unexpected. Particularly because it was one of a number of cliff hangers.

I don't think anything else in 'new' Who has really caught me by surprise. I think its partly because the show has had so many leaks since it came back - and even with the best of intentions, it is sometimes hard to avoid knowing what was going to happen. And sometimes it was just easy to guess - I guessed River was Melody Pond, as I think did most viewers.
  • eggshelleggshell Posts: 4,416
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This for me :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMQ7X3wauRQ&sns=em

Most shocking , in a good way, was Amy lying dead in Rorys arms in The Big Bang and the Doctor appearing with mop and Fez..for a moment my brain threatened to melt..thoroughly audacious madness.
  • grazey1985grazey1985 Posts: 1,480
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

City of death got 16.1 m
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The show becoming the success it did in 2005. Unexpected by me
  • Whovian1109Whovian1109 Posts: 1,812
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    grazey1985 wrote: »
    City of death got 16.1 m

My apologies, I meant New Who :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My apologies, I meant New Who :)

New who? Its all 1 show
  • bennythedipbennythedip Posts: 2,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tom bakers doctor drowning in the deadly assassin. That was the final straw for Mary Whitehouse.
  • GDKGDK Posts: 9,476
    Forum Member
    The dying TARDIS in Turn Left.
  • Julie_SmithJulie_Smith Posts: 474
    Forum Member
    when I realised that they had run out of ideas ,and started scraping the barrel with a fantastic voyage rip off,and robin hood men in tights
  • BigDaveXBigDaveX Posts: 835
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    While there's only a few scraps of footage of it left, Katarina's death in The Dalek Masterplan. She gets taken hostage at the end of the third episode, a pretty standard-issue cliffhanger. The following episode has the Doctor trying to negotiate a way out of the hostage situation for about a minute... and then Katarina hits the airlock activator button. BANG, instant death by explosive decompression. Not only was it shocking in the sense of being the first companion death, but it was also the most sudden.
  • doctor blue boxdoctor blue box Posts: 7,327
    Forum Member
    How about 11 effectively choosing to kill solomon in dinosaurs on a spacehship, that was pretty shocking for me as it kind of went against everything the doctor usually stands for.

Also ten grabbing a gun in the doctors daughter and pointing it at general cobb's head, as for a second it looked like he might actually do it, especially with the high angry emotion so well portrayed by Tennant.
  • KNs47KNs47 Posts: 426
    Forum Member
    grazey1985 wrote: »
    The show becoming the success it did in 2005. Unexpected by me

Yeah, the success the show has become since the return is the biggest shock for me - particularly abroad. I've got the US TV Guide on my FB news feed and when James Cordon was recently announced as the new host of The Late, Late Show there were basically two types of comments one was asking who and others were mentioning Oh, it's Craig or Stormagedon's Dad!
  • Michael_EveMichael_Eve Posts: 14,455
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    From watching the show as a kid...I'll have to go with Adric's death. Easily.

Now I'm a gnarled 40-something, can't say I'm easily shocked! Also, because of ye olde worldwideweb I do tend to get spoilered a bit. Thinking of C21 Who, even though I suspected what was coming, Jacobi's 'reveal' in 'Utopia' was something else, but Donna's 'brainwipe' was probably the closest. So silly, but because I loved the character, it actually surprised and annoyed me at the time. :blush:

(Got over it! Good writing. Shame about End of Time, really.)
  • Chester666666Chester666666 Posts: 9,020
    Forum Member
    Peris death is mine as thst was a huge shock
    Then when it was resurrects by RTD I was shocked at how bloody awful it was
  • CraigpughCraigpugh Posts: 665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'll go with Peri's death which was absolutely horrific- https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=e20Wn7Z7uAI
  • comedyfishcomedyfish Posts: 21,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tegan being Kinda-rised.

Shat me up for weeks as a kid
  • JAS84JAS84 Posts: 7,430
    Forum Member
    KNs47 wrote: »
    Yeah, the success the show has become since the return is the biggest shock for me - particularly abroad. I've got the US TV Guide on my FB news feed and when James Cordon was recently announced as the new host of The Late, Late Show there were basically two types of comments one was asking who and others were mentioning Oh, it's Craig or Stormagedon's Dad!
    Fair to say that Twelve won't be meeting Craig now...
  • kitkat1971kitkat1971 Posts: 39,249
    Forum Member
    For me it has to be Adric's death. Watching it at the time just a couple of weeks off my 11th birthday was absolutely jaw dropping. From 10 minutes in when he was left on the freighter right through to the end I was just saying "they can't, they can't, they can't really be killing him can they"? I knew the history of the show, that Katrina and Sara Kingdom had been killed off so it was possible for it to happen to a companion but to actually see it happening was incredible.