Why Don't You Speak English? - 23/7, Channel 4, 9PM

Comments

• LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,647
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DamienS wrote: »
    Because we don't tend to go for the same reasons people come here.

We tend to emigrate for the sun or for a change, not to flee war etc

You'd think fleeing war would be a better reason than wanting a bit of warmth and should be respected more.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Is Rick Parfitt living with the posh family.

Edit: No I think its the posh blokes wife
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The older Asian woman showing how it is done. Don't speak to them as if they are idiots.
  • HiMyNameIsHiMyNameIs Posts: 1,785
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the Asian woman's mother should take over from her. The mother seems to gel with the Polish woman more than she does.
  • SpencerLeveySpencerLevey Posts: 1,511
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    aw the wee old Indian woman is so sweet
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    HiMyNameIs wrote: »
    I think the Asian woman's mother should take over from her. The mother seems to gel with the Polish woman more than she does.

It's hard to "gel" with someone when you tell them to bugger off out of the country.

Actually, it turned out to be a better program than I thought once it became more about building personal relationships than people trying to teach English.

As for the couple in the north east, getting someone to pronounce "liquorice allsorts" was slightly cruel - but they taught her Bingo, so she'll survive there.
  • suesuesuesuesuesue Posts: 16,202
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The African woman is lovely and her story is sadly so typical of many people in her position; family, home, everything familiar to her wiped out. It amazes me when you talk to people who have been through hell like that and they can be so optimistic and ambitious for their family's future. Good luck to her.
  • Fiddly_FeltzFiddly_Feltz Posts: 645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    'Why don't you speak English?'

Why don't you go back to where you came from?!!
  • KentLassieKentLassie Posts: 180
    Forum Member
    I taught English as a foreign language for several years. Watching this show, I felt only sadness for these poor non-Enlgish speakers! The people (with the exception of the elderly Indian woman) trying to communicate with them were well-meaning but they were only confusing the poor students. It seemed like a good idea (the "total immersion" concept) but the students need a little help -- like being with someone who speaks clearly, simply, calmly, and consistently. And poor Fabian being subjected to that pub argument was so unfair to him!

I've also lived in four foreign countries and I know what these people are going through and how frustrating it is to not be able to express yourself. Channel 4 must have thought it would be good television to do it this way...... not effective learning.
  • owlloverowllover Posts: 7,980
    Forum Member
    suesuesue wrote: »
    The African woman is lovely and her story is sadly so typical of many people in her position; family, home, everything familiar to her wiped out. It amazes me when you talk to people who have been through hell like that and they can be so optimistic and ambitious for their family's future. Good luck to her.

She was so lovely and so were her hosts. How heartwarming to see that they now feel committed to her.

Loved the Indian mum and I think the Polish girl would have learnt a lot given more time with her..

Poor Chinese girl didn't stand much chance with her hosts as welcoming as they were they didn't have a clue.
  • Millie MuppetMillie Muppet Posts: 6,853
    Forum Member
    LostFool wrote: »
    I'm not sure what the point of this show is... is it to demonstrate that people who aren't language teachers are crap at teaching a language to adults?

I'm not sure if it's the English or the immigrants who are coming off looking worse.

This. I'm an EFL teacher and it's exhausting and demanding because it's not as simple as just 'talking to people'. My school places students with UK host families for the immersion benefits and they can be very helpful, but ultimately there is no substitute for the qualified teaching they're getting in the classroom, provided it comes from a native speaker teacher of course. The woman doing the miming is just comedy. :D
  • RandysbackRandysback Posts: 3,404
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You'd think fleeing war would be a better reason than wanting a bit of warmth and should be respected more.

If they're fleeing a war why do they have to leapfrog spain, Portugal, Italy, France, Luxembourg, Austria, Switzerland, Belgium, Holland and come to tiny, Crowded scruffy England.. I wonder :rolleyes:
  • BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,542
    Forum Member
    owllover wrote: »
    She was so lovely and so were her hosts. How heartwarming to see that they now feel committed to her.

Loved the Indian mum and I think the Polish girl would have learnt a lot given more time with her..

Poor Chinese girl didn't stand much chance with her hosts as welcoming as they were they didn't have a clue.

I agree with you on all points.

It was a really interesting programme.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What I couldn't understand is why the Polish girl is here.She is 19 ,has been in this country for 2 years, can't speak English , has never worked.
    Are we paying her benefits and given her a flat?
    She has family back in Poland.
    If this is all true then she should be sent back to Poland , she seems very arrogant and not really interested in fitting in.

Unfortunately a lot of the English people and the learners seemed to think that talking non stop would result in being fluent.
    I went to France as an au pair,the only way to learn was to attend college and to have a dictionary with me at all times , which I used continually.Within 5 months I understood everything and could speak freely with only occasionally using a dictionary.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    HiMyNameIs wrote: »
    Documentary on Channel 4 tonight about trying to teach immigrants to speak the English language.

Anyone else watching?

They are happy to come over here and take the benefits and nhs but wont speak english?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They are happy to come over here and take the benefits and nhs but wont speak english?

I agree ,no loyalty to our country at all , which in the end will destroy our culture, it's sad to have to live through our demise , instigated by our government and the EU.
  • NormandieNormandie Posts: 4,617
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Interesting idea for a program but I can't see how putting these people who speak to them as if they were 2 year olds is going to teach them English
    It will because their language capability has to be built up - when you start learning a language, you are at a lower level than a 2-year old who has at least been hearing the language (with much repetition) for two years before they really start speaking it - or mimicking rather.

Start with a very basic, structured introduction to words and sentence construction and build on that.
    DamienS wrote: »
    Because we don't tend to go for the same reasons people come here.

We tend to emigrate for the sun or for a change, not to flee war etc
    Yeah... and Brits who move permanently abroad are still immigrants, not ex-pats. Ex-pat has undertones of a temporary, not permanent, move to another country often for work. Those who intend to move permanently and become tax resident, etc are immigrants. Though, as someone implied earlier, you don't often (ie, never) hear Polish people working in the UK referred to as ex-pats.
    ...but they taught her Bingo, so she'll survive there.
    Bingo-type games are excellent for learning numbers randomly. It's all very well learning to chant one-two-three-four-five... etc but throw random numbers at someone - 49-55-20-88... and it's more challenging.
  • BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,542
    Forum Member
    lue wrote: »
    What I couldn't understand is why the Polish girl is here.She is 19 ,has been in this country for 2 years, can't speak English , has never worked.
    Are we paying her benefits and given her a flat?
    She has family back in Poland.
    If this is all true then she should be sent back to Poland , she seems very arrogant and not really interested in fitting in.

I didn't like the Polish girl either. I can see why the daughter gave up with her.

I think next week they change countries. Fabian seems to have no home/job or anything and looks like the landlord will be handing out cash to help him.
  • flyingvflyingv Posts: 4,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Randysback wrote: »
    If they're fleeing a war why do they have to leapfrog spain, Portugal, Italy, France, Luxembourg, Austria, Switzerland, Belgium, Holland and come to tiny, Crowded scruffy England.. I wonder :rolleyes:
    No need to learn our language when you can just get a free translator if you need to use public services such as the NHS, local authority, job centre etc.
    You try getting a free translator in Spain/Italy/Portugal etc. They would laugh you out the door. And you would not be able to queue-jump as currently happens here...
  • Anna_WAnna_W Posts: 3,261
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    British TV doesn't seem to like Polish people. Tends to show them in a worst possible way. Most polish I know speak very good english and they fit in well.
  • mevilhoneymevilhoney Posts: 685
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I watched this,and liked pub landlord`s line about Fabian`s progress--`He`s learning to speak English good`:)

Interesting programme,but I always find it hard to believe people do not speak a word of ..English? It`s surely up there as the world`s most spoken language. With English and American English in every movie,tv show,billboard,etc..someone (especially African or Polish) doesn`t speak not ONE word?!

But agree with people pointing people are arriving,getting accomodation etc..and don`t speak the language a couple of years on? They must see this place as paradise!
  • mrkite77mrkite77 Posts: 5,386
    Forum Member
    mevilhoney wrote: »
    Interesting programme,but I always find it hard to believe people do not speak a word of ..English? It`s surely up there as the world`s most spoken language.

Mandarin is the world's most spoken language. I don't suppose you know any?

English is interesting because there are more people who know English as a second language than people with English as a primary language.

Anyways.. there are 7 billion people on the planet.. only a tenth of them speak English.
  • mevilhoneymevilhoney Posts: 685
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mrkite77 wrote: »

English is interesting because there are more people who know English as a second language than people with English as a primary language.

Anyways.. there are 7 billion people on the planet.. only a tenth of them speak English.

I don`t know any Mandarin,and I think I would have to go out of my way to learn it, world`s most spoken language or not. English is surely easily available to anybody who wants to learn it. How many countries are there where learning English is seen as a positive thing to do? Where it`s learned like we learn French? Like you say it`s a very common second language,as well as being a major language in business,technology,computing.media,entertainment etc.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mrkite77 wrote: »

Mandarin may have the most number of speakers (even if you include second languages) but English is by far the most widespread. There is also a bug effort in China to teach English so the total number of English speaker s should overtake Mandarin soon.
  • CFCJM1CFCJM1 Posts: 2,065
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thought it was a far better programme than I had anticipated. Matching the elderly couple with the orphaned African girl initially looked a real mismatch. It however turned out to be a real tear jerker that worked. Lovely to see how they both understood each others grief and brought something to each others lives.

Even the Irish landlord seem to become more human as he got to know his Columbian learner more. Think its a classic case of us all having our own prejudices - but once we get to know the person the religion/language/colour becomes secondary to the relationship.

Loved the relationship between the Polish girl and the Indian lady - something very sweet there. The elderly lady did well to bring out the best in the Polish girl - as she was initially starting to really irritate me.

Very clever programme combining humour and emotion. Looking forward to next week's episode.