silent witness on bbc1 now

Comments

• susieroesusieroe Posts: 19
    Forum Member
    Whothaman wrote: »
    A lot of other groups tried to jump on the bandwagon. The BNP, EDL & Anti Facist League were all demonstrating outside Liverpool Crown Court at points throughout the trial resulting in a large Police presence.

Could I just clarify. The BNP campaigned for around a decade to bring this abuse, and the refusal of the police to do something, into public awareness, but were dismissed as racists. They were not climbing on the bandwagon, quite the reverse. Ann Cryer MP brought it up in Parliament a few years ago but she also was told to shut up. The UAF were protesting against the presence of the BNP and EDL outside the Court and thus appeared to be defending those on trial.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 204
    Forum Member
    This would be a very good episode to show to all young girls in secondary schools.
    It would highlight the possible dangers that "facebook" and all these other social media sites that our youngsters seem to be addicted to.
    I was sickened by some of the images that these young girls allowed to be taken/or took themselves. Sadly self respect
    for some young girls is non existent. :(
  • Glawster2002Glawster2002 Posts: 15,189
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    terrie1957 wrote: »
    This would be a very good episode to show to all young girls in secondary schools.
    It would highlight the possible dangers that "facebook" and all these other social media sites that our youngsters seem to be addicted to.
    I was sickened by some of the images that these young girls allowed to be taken/or took themselves. Sadly self respect
    for some young girls is non existent. :(

I did read recently that anything up to a quarter of illegal images of children available on the internet were taken and posted by the children themselves so, sadly, what was portrayed on Silent Witness last night didn't surprise me.

I think children see what they are doing as a bit of a laugh but, of course, being children they are rarely capable of seeing the possible long-term consequences of those actions.
  • InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mills705 wrote: »
    There was a shot of an old man packing suitcases that had been abandoned from gatwick airport i think from an auction house.

I'm sure the auctioneer said that the bags were from Stansted Airport, whereas the rest of the story is set near Heathrow. Odd, but maybe it's not important...
  • tarotangeltarotangel Posts: 1,090
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I found it quite uncomfortable viewing but I'm pleased to see Elyes Gabel back on our screens. Also good to see him in a completely different role than to that of Guppy in Casualty.
  • GlengavelGlengavel Posts: 1,925
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    susieroe wrote: »
    Could I just clarify. The BNP campaigned for around a decade to bring this abuse, and the refusal of the police to do something, into public awareness, but were dismissed as racists. They were not climbing on the bandwagon, quite the reverse. Ann Cryer MP brought it up in Parliament a few years ago but she also was told to shut up. The UAF were protesting against the presence of the BNP and EDL outside the Court and thus appeared to be defending those on trial.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but if the BNP are involved it's for racist reasons and not because they're interested in the fate of abused children. In fact, they're not above a bit of child abuse themselves.

http://www.hopenothate.org.uk/blog/article/2048/bnp-hypocrisy-over-paedophile
  • claire2281claire2281 Posts: 17,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A disturbing but good piece of drama in the first half. Easy to see why this was dropped during the series, but I think it would have given the series a little more coherency and 'stability' had they aired properly in order. This was more like a 'normal' episode and would have balanced the more out there ones better.

Since this is supposedly Tom's last episode, it'll be interesting to see if they've made any edits or reshoots or we're simply going to get a very lame 'Oh Harry and I dated but it didn't work out so he went to America' thing from Nikki at the start of next series.
  • 4smiffy4smiffy Posts: 2,161
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tom's last episode? I'm gutted! :o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    4smiffy wrote: »
    Tom's last episode? I'm gutted! :o

As far a we know, yes.

It was announced a couple of weeks ago that he was leaving. It was said that apparently he and Nikki make a go of things, it doesn't work out and he leaves to work in America. It also stated that the postponed episode was his last.

That means either they've reshot and edited the end of this or all we'll get about Harry's departure is a few lines at the start of next series. Which is anti-climatic tbh!
  • LowriLowri Posts: 3,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Didn't realise this was a postponed ep, when does the new series start?
    I also hate it when people leave between series with just a rubbish explaination as to where they are and then it's all about the replacement. Surely it isn't difficult to get a prewarning of an actor's departure? I assumed he was leaving in the middle of the next series :(

As much as I like SW, I do think it's trying too hard to be shocking. If the writer's didn't aim to shock and appall every week then they might actually succeed! The school shooting ep worked because it was sudden and unexpected; their attempts to be controversial are getting tiresome.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Meldrewman wrote: »
    Gave it a miss this time - the fact that the team seem to be alongside the police solving cases was becoming increasingly ludicrous.

This is really annoying me too
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lowri wrote: »
    Didn't realise this was a postponed ep, when does the new series start?

Next year. I believe they're still filming at the mo :) There's two new characters joining.
    I also hate it when people leave between series with just a rubbish explaination as to where they are and then it's all about the replacement. Surely it isn't difficult to get a prewarning of an actor's departure? I assumed he was leaving in the middle of the next series :(

I do think it's a bit odd tbh. With such a long running character I presumed that either they would reshoot parts of this to include a leaving scene or he would be in the first episode of next series.

Perhaps the news is wrong and he does appear briefly in s16 but they did report this was his last one and he leaves after he makes a go of things with Nikki and it doesn't work out...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Any bets that the large Asian guy informs on the rest?
  • 15 minutes15 minutes Posts: 12,406
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Could they not take DNA from the Pizza box (Or whatever he was carrying and threw into the bin which the nurse saw??) to at least get an idea of one of the suspects? Sorry that would be too logical.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Any bets that the large Asian guy informs on the rest?

Either that or he'll die or kill one of the girls (The one he likes) by mistake. He's like Lennie from Mice of Men.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I find it odd that they won't take advantage of Harry leaving to do a properly big storyline. They nearly killed him before so they could have done it for real this time!

Yay! A good guy :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Died a hero. Lets hope part of it is not pinned on him.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    15 minutes wrote: »
    Died a hero. Lets hope part of it is not pinned on him.

Good call! I knew he'd end up a good(ish) guy.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good call! I knew he'd end up a good(ish) guy.

Didn't see it coming at all :o

Eta: This just gets more depressing by the minute!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That was unlikely, a young girl tuning up at the morgue and beong shown the body
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tinkie wrote: »
    That was unlikely, a young girl tuning up at the morgue

They let all comers in at that morgue.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tinkie wrote: »
    That was unlikely, a young girl tuning up at the morgue

I think it's quite believeable compared to the rest. She owed that man her life :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Now you know Sanjeev's character is gonna have a final showdown.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 211
    Forum Member
    Lowri wrote: »
    I think it's quite believeable compared to the rest. She owed that man her life :(

I think they meant the fact that they let her in..
  • LewnaticcLewnaticc Posts: 3,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Isn't this girl Lacey from Hollyoaks?