Peep Show Series 8 (Starts Sun 25th Nov, C4 10:00pm)

1101112131416»

Comments

• HarrisonMarksHarrisonMarks Posts: 4,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Perhaps they should have had a Poochie-style caption at the end -
    'Dobbie's plane crashed killing everyone on board. Rejoice!'.
  • doom&gloomdoom&gloom Posts: 9,051
    Forum Member
    The voiceovers are wrong now somehow now, too loud?

Pretty poor series really, not a good laughs per episode ratio.
  • doom&gloomdoom&gloom Posts: 9,051
    Forum Member
    Parthenon wrote: »
    In the episode "Handyman" (S4 Ep 4) it says "class of '91" on Mark's invite to his school reunion, so assuming he left school at 16, I guess he'd have been born in 1975... Making him 37?

No idea about Jez. Probably about the same.

Yes he's probably meant to be slightly younger than 40, if either he or Mark hit 40 it will be in an episode, maybe the last one ever.
  • doe_a_deerdoe_a_deer Posts: 2,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wow, best episode for a long, long time in my opinion, where did that come from?

The 'Which one will get to Dobby first' storyline throughout the episode reminded me of the brilliant 'Will he/won't he marry Sophie' finale of series 4. Also, Mark and Jeremy's hatred of each other and attempts to discredit each other reminded me of the 'sectioning' episode from a much earlier series as well.

I think the reason this episode was so good for me was that the storyline was actually going somewhere and important to the plot and to future episodes - Jeremy moving in with Super Hans, Dobby either moving away or getting engaged to Mark or getting together with Jeremy - whereas the episodes have usually contained absolute nothing-storylines and just treaded water for so long now, that to see a storyline that actually mattered and was relevant to the series and to Mark and Jeremy's characters made a really nice change and felt like Peep Show of old.
  • lealeedslealeeds Posts: 2,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Preferred the last episode to this but still good stuff
  • linkinpark875linkinpark875 Posts: 29,686
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Interesting episode.

I enjoyed it. For me I'm not sure the whole change of character from Dobby worked. Saying that look back at the earlier series she did seem to change a little bit and become more confident.

Hopefully shes left Peep Show in the next series. I do get a feeling now Jeremy has moved out we are gearing up for a 9th series for the 10th anniversary but maybe the final ever series? I really hope not but it all feels like it's coming to a conclusion.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 35
    Forum Member
    Well that series was all a bit hit or miss wasnt it?

First they kill off all the side characters. Quite literally with Gerard, Johnson is in it for a minute and Jeff even less, so you are left with Mark, Jez and Dobbie (and her boring mates). Given that Mark and Dobbie's (and her boring mates) relationship is so excrutiating, there is so little light relief elsewhere.

The last episode was particularly awful - too much Dobbie. Which is ironic, as a few years ago, you really wanted Dobbie to be in the episode.

Plus it seems they are writing episodes rather than a series. The travelling salesman episode was classic peep show and Mark's ineptitude at sales could have been a running gag. Similarly his night classes and the seemingly wonderfully filthy Stephanie. Nothing really went anywhere and it all came inevitably back to Mark and Dobbie's (and her boring friends) excrutiating relationship.

I would also say this was Jez's weakest series. God, I miss Olivia Colman - at least you felt a bit sorry for Sophie.
  • sheff71sheff71 Posts: 8,006
    Forum Member
    From the train onwards that was good stuff, and perhaps this series has been a case of 'be careful what you wish for' - it wasn't that long ago that a lot of people would've thought that making Dobby a significant central character appearing every week would be a good thing - sometimes a few short doses here and there are much more effective...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    Peep Show has been going downhill for ages but that's understandable considering it's (I believe) one of the longest running sitcoms in UK history now?

I'm pleased for the people who still think it's as good as it ever was but for me, although I will always check Peep Show out whenever it's on, it's a one-watch deal now. I won't fork out for the DVD or even bother catching re-runs, whereas series 1- 4 I can watch over and over again and still soil myself each time.
  • ImonfireImonfire Posts: 2,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I do get a feeling now Jeremy has moved out we are gearing up for a 9th series for the 10th anniversary but maybe the final ever series? I really hope not but it all feels like it's coming to a conclusion.

Doubt it. Mitchell and Webb said they would carry on doing it for as long as they can, as long as there's enough storylines left to do.

The ratings were also pretty good again this series.

I thought it was a strong series anyway.
  • AZZURRI 06AZZURRI 06 Posts: 11,173
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Interesting to see people`s takes on Peep Show. I loved this series but then I loved the previous seven. Dobby seems to be taking a bit of a kicking, while most of us would like more Johnson. Sad to see Gerard killed off, he and Mark were perfect together. Remember them buying those WW2 figures? Can`t say I missed Sophie particularly, also glad they DIDN`T feature the baby more prominently. There are only so many gags you can do about soiled nappies. All in all very enjoyable. I have all eight series on dvd so I must set aside the time for an Alan Partridge like Peepathon.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Talk that the new season could be the last:

http://www.rte.ie/ten/news/2013/0601/454038-robert-webb-hints-at-the-end-of-peep-show/

Shame as I enjoy Peep Show.
  • f_196f_196 Posts: 11,829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would love to see a Super Hans spin-off though... :D
  • jackc1806jackc1806 Posts: 456
    Forum Member
    I thought Series 9 was winter this year?
  • SaddlerSteveSaddlerSteve Posts: 4,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jackc1806 wrote: »
    I thought Series 9 was winter this year?

I thought that too.

If it turns out to be true that it's been delayed to next year though i'd have to quote Super Hans and say

"This is bull****!"

*kicks the door down*
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can't believe it's the end for Peep Show. It's had a great run but no good comedies to fill the void now.