Jimmy Saville to be revealed as a paedophile? (Part 7)

Comments

• occyoccy Posts: 64,318
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Believe me or not. I can see a famous name who has either committed suicide or something else serious happened to them which is the result to these allegations.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am sick and tired of these accusations of historical sexual abuse from people who were adults at the time of the alleged abuse. I am in my 70th year and during my late teens and early 20s had my bottom pinched and was embraced by men including the occasional celebrity. Do I regard it as sexual abuse? Not at all. If I had been dragged unwillingly and had been forced into sex, that is a different matter but it appears that most of these accusations are of the very mild variety. I think it is a celebrity witch hunt that is degrading the awful acts perpetrated by JS and also by many non celebs - most of the latter will never be reported as they will not result in any form of compensation.

When I was 12 I was on a children's TV Programme called "The House that Jim built". It had various segments including one by a young man who told a story and painted pictures - yes good old Rolf Harris. He was a most charming person and I have always had a great affection for him. I hope this does not ruin his career even at his age and that he returns soon to our TV screens. I simply cannot believe he is guilty of anything serious at all.
  • IzzySIzzyS Posts: 11,044
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    occy wrote: »
    Believe me or not. I can see a famous name who has either committed suicide or something else serious happened to them which is the result to these allegations.

Thats the worry. Its a very serious matter to be investigated in relation to such grim things and even though we don't have the full details (do we know if the questioning is in relation to potential child abuse or abuse of an adult? as already mentioned, some people linked to Yewtree are being investigated for adult abuse claims and not child abuse claims), some may choose never to look at him in the same way again.

If it leads to angry mobs outside where he lives etc., its alot for someone in a potentially delicate state to cope with.

Heck, even if it were someone that I didn't like, I'd still say the same thing, that we should know what their accused of, rather than presuming their some kiddy fiddler/paedo/rapist or whatever, when they may 'only' be investigated much more minor incident(s).
  • Billy HicksBilly Hicks Posts: 475
    Forum Member
    So...
    • He's being questioned, and hasn't been charged.
    • Entire questioning based on one female adult 40 years ago.
    • No allegations of any other suspicious or even off-kilter behaviour by anyone, anywhere. Ever.

...and yet everyone's "OMG ROLF HARRIS PAEDO".

The hell?! Poor guy.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So...
    • Entire questioning based on one female adult (even then) 40 years ago.
    • No allegations of any other suspicious or even off-kilter behaviour by anyone, anywhere. Ever.

The hell?! Poor guy.

So its been confirmed that the alleged victim was an adult at the time? I wasn't aware of that. All I heard today was that he'd been named as someone questioned in relation to Operation Yewtree in November and March.

Also since this was first brought up in November, I've read one or two things such as people claiming they met him and he was alot less friendly away from the cameras, may have tried to avoid fans and things like that (although that doesn't really prove much, many people may be quieter away from the cameras and want to keep to themselves, than when their infront of the cameras).

I haven't heard anyone allege they'd been assaulted or anything like that though. There was talk at one stage about him supposedly/allegedly having written a letter to the victim? I also once read something about there being rumours for years about people having treated wild animals and pets cruelly so they could be treated at the vets where they filmed Animal Hospital but that sounded ridiculous, its not as if they'd probably be short of work there anyway...thats the most ridiculous thing I've heard.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 89
    Forum Member
    occy wrote: »

If a person is innocent I cannot see why they should want to commit suicide.

It really must be left to the police and courts to decide whether someone is guilty or innocent, and not for others to judge.
  • lexi22lexi22 Posts: 16,394
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So...
    • Entire questioning based on one female adult 40 years ago.

The hell?! Poor guy.

Although I agree with all the above, BIB - that's the one thing that hasn't (unfortunately for him) been confirmed. The reports state one accuser, a woman, but not confirmed that she was a woman - ie. of age - at the time. She may well have been but the absence of this crucial detail is why it's being assumed/taken for granted by some that it's a child abuse issue.
  • Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,240
    Forum Member
    I am sick and tired of these accusations of historical sexual abuse from people who were adults at the time of the alleged abuse.

Why? Adults can be sexually abused too
    I am in my 70th year and during my late teens and early 20s had my bottom pinched and was embraced by men including the occasional celebrity. Do I regard it as sexual abuse? Not at all. If I had been dragged unwillingly and had been forced into sex, that is a different matter but it appears that most of these accusations are of the very mild variety.

Mild to you perhaps because you willingly accepted such behaviour. For those who didn't, it would not be considered mild.
    I think it is a celebrity witch hunt that is degrading the awful acts perpetrated by JS and also by many non celebs - most of the latter will never be reported as they will not result in any form of compensation.

The difference is that witches don't exist, so hunting them is pointless persecution. Sexual abusers do.
    When I was 12 I was on a children's TV Programme called "The House that Jim built". It had various segments including one by a young man who told a story and painted pictures - yes good old Rolf Harris. He was a most charming person and I have always had a great affection for him. I hope this does not ruin his career even at his age and that he returns soon to our TV screens. I simply cannot believe he is guilty of anything serious at all.

In private, a publically charming and affable person may be very different.
  • rioniarionia Posts: 1,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    inquirer64 wrote: »

It really must be left to the police and courts to decide whether someone is guilty or innocent, and not for others to judge.

Perhaps you didn't read the rather moving post earlier on this thread by someone whose father had committed suicide after being falsely accused of being a paedophile (the case was apparently dropped because the accuser eventually admitted making it up). Despite never being convicted of anything his life was ruined on the basis the 'mud sticks' and he never recovered
  • StrmChaserSteveStrmChaserSteve Posts: 2,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CELT1987 wrote: »
    Even if Rolf is found innocent, mud sticks. His reputation is now in tatters.

Channel 5, cancelling the screening of his shows, backs up this comment

Police can arrest under suspicion... but some people are released without charge

Why can they not be named until they are charged with a crime

Let them be found guilty first

Would not surprise me if this chap commits suicide
  • StaceySkyStaceySky Posts: 570
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can't believe the spot light is now on Rolf Harris :eek:

Like someone said below, his reputation is now ruined, even if he is innocent.
    I just can't see it being true.
  • Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,240
    Forum Member
    It's only a matter of time before Zippy and Morph are also brought in for questioning

I just know it
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Maybe because there life is now ruined.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's only a matter of time before Zippy and Morph are also brought in for questioning

I just know it
    Zippy does look pretty creepy though, lol
    Forum Member
    rionia wrote: »
    Perhaps you didn't read the rather moving post earlier on this thread by someone whose father had committed suicide after being falsely accused of being a paedophile (the case was apparently dropped because the accuser eventually admitted making it up). Despite never being convicted of anything his life was ruined on the basis the 'mud sticks' and he never recovered

No, I did not read it and how very sad that the 'mud sticks' mob mentality was what he could not recover from. It really is about time that accusations are ignored until proven.

CH5 are reacting in a crass manner. If RH is not charged could they be held to account?

As said before, innocent until proven guilty.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The reason I'd be worried about suicide is because its been documented that he suffers from depression (he's talked about it before) and I believe its been reported that he's been on suicide watch in the past, fairly recently even.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    IzzyS wrote: »
    The reason I'd be worried about suicide is because its been documented that he suffers from depression (he's talked about it before) and I believe its been reported that he's been on suicide watch in the past, fairly recently even.
    What, Rolf Harris?
    Forum Member
    StaceySky wrote: »
    Maybe because there life is now ruined.

Why should lives be ruined? If people did not speculate and jump to conclusions, if we all became better educated in such matters, then this would not happen.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No, I did not read it and how very sad that the 'mud sticks' mob mentality was what he could not recover from. It really is about time that accusations are ignored until proven.

CH5 are reacting in a crass manner. If RH is not charged could they be held to account?

As said before, innocent until proven guilty.

Yeah, I saw this on my twitter news feed:- https://twitter.com/SkyNews/status/325342145768726529/photo/1
    I don't understand why they'd pull the Olive the Ostrich cartoon. Surely kids wouldn't be offended? its a bit like the Tweenies show, only this is just a voice over, not even a character depiction on screen(!).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What, Rolf Harris?

Yes, it was reported in the press late last year but they hadn't named the person officially then. I believe thats the case anyway...I think the show where he talked about his depression, was Piers Morgans' Life Stories(?) a while ago.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why? Adults can be sexually abused too

Mild to you perhaps because you willingly accepted such behaviour. For those who didn't, it would not be considered mild.

The difference is that witches don't exist, so hunting them is pointless persecution. Sexual abusers do.

In private, a publically charming and affable person may be very different.

I did distinguish between mild "groping"/bottom pinching/ cuddle types and full sexual abuse. Bottom pinching was regarded as the norm if you visited Italy in the 60s/70s. Don't tell me it isn't the same now as I am fully aware of that. PC is now crazy and as a feminist in the 60s who fought for equal pay and equal rights I find the current pathetic attitude to being whistled at or having your bottom pinched very silly. Grow up and take compliments. There is no feminism today. It has died and been taken over by women who cannot be feminine.

I find your general comments patronising. I was in private with Rolf as it was in a TV studio and there were times when no one else was around. You don't know so don't comment.

I would rather see some of the alleged politicians questioned. What has happened re the North Wales care home investigation? This side has gone quiet and yet the celebs are still being brought in. It is easy to get them and hard to get through the walls protecting the political and public figures.
    Forum Member
    I can't believe the spot light is now on Rolf Harris :eek:

Like someone said below, his reputation is now ruined, even if he is innocent.
    I just can't see it being true.

Why is his reputation now ruined? He has not even been charged, let alone faced a court of law.

The stigma attached to being questioned, when an allegation is made, is manufactured by people and it is about time this stopped.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why is his reputation now ruined? He has not even been charged, let alone faced a court of law.

The stigma attached to being questioned, when an allegation is made, is manufactured by people and it is about time this stopped.
    I just heard that he was arrested by police because of allegations of sexual offences.
    Sorry I'm not good with this sort of thing. I'm just shocked.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    IzzyS wrote: »
    Yes, it was reported in the press late last year but they hadn't named the person officially then. I believe thats the case anyway...I think the show where he talked about his depression, was Piers Morgans' Life Stories(?) a while ago.
    I didn't know this. Wonder why he's depressed :confused:
  • grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,684
    Forum Member
    yaristaman wrote: »
    To hope someone you like/are a fan of is innocent when they have been arrested is a natural reaction. Doesn't imply that the poster thinks he's guilty at all.

Thank you, I didnt mean to suggest I think he's guilty at all. Innocent til proven guilty and all that (and besides he hasnt been charged with anything), is there even any evidence?
This discussion has been closed.