Next Gen consoles suffer frame rate drop on CoD Ghosts

SpeedloaferSpeedloafer Posts: 2,407
Forum Member
✭✭✭
So we have the all powerful definitely 30% better than the Xbox one but not as good as a PC, the Playstation 4 with its super duper 1080 resolution suffering from frame rate drop.
http://www.forbes.com/sites/davidthier/2013/11/05/reviewers-are-reporting-frame-rate-problems-with-call-of-duty-ghosts-on-ps4/

And we have the inferior, weaker than the 360, possibly on a par with the Sega Mega Drive, the Xbox one with frame rate drops.
http://www.cinemablend.com/games/Xbox-One-Suffers-Frame-Stutter-Call-Duty-Ghosts-60354.html

Obviously we don't have video evidence from the PS4 but a lot of places are reporting it. On the Xbox One the strange thing is there is a rate drop but bizarrely not much is happening on screen, he is just rotating the camera. The PS4 is supposed to be worse "sometimes slowing to a crawl" but again no video evidence.

So who is to blame here? Bad programming, Bad systems or both? Can the frame rate be fixed with a patch? Should I cancel my preorders and dust off the Commodore 64?

Comments

• gillyallangillyallan Posts: 31,708
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sounds like their brand new.same as last time game engine if its affecting everything other than the one system they know. 360
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 565
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So we have the all powerful definitely 30% better than the Xbox one but not as good as a PC, the Playstation 4 with its super duper 1080 resolution suffering from frame rate drop.
    http://www.forbes.com/sites/davidthier/2013/11/05/reviewers-are-reporting-frame-rate-problems-with-call-of-duty-ghosts-on-ps4/

And we have the inferior, weaker than the 360, possibly on a par with the Sega Mega Drive, the Xbox one with frame rate drops.
    http://www.cinemablend.com/games/Xbox-One-Suffers-Frame-Stutter-Call-Duty-Ghosts-60354.html

Obviously we don't have video evidence from the PS4 but a lot of places are reporting it. On the Xbox One the strange thing is there is a rate drop but bizarrely not much is happening on screen, he is just rotating the camera. The PS4 is supposed to be worse "sometimes slowing to a crawl" but again no video evidence.

So who is to blame here? Bad programming, Bad systems or both? Can the frame rate be fixed with a patch? Should I cancel my preorders and dust off the Commodore 64?

Until we get our hands on the games to try ourselves then we will never know how bad things actually are.

Are the difficulties from the devs point of view due to the fact that they made COD Ghosts for current gen first then port the game over to next gen?
    I know that in terms of cost it makes sense to favour the current gen over next gen as they will obvioulsy sell more games.
  • Jimmy_McNultyJimmy_McNulty Posts: 11,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When the problems are across the board, on all platforms, the blame lies solely at IW. I expect this kind of crap on PC, they have a history of it, but what i'm reading about the performance on the consoles surprises me. They are incredibly lazy, and seem to be very arrogant. Their infamous COD:Ghosts slot at the xboxone conference is an example of that.
  • ixHellstormxixHellstormx Posts: 2,192
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The frame rate and all other problems will be fixed with the upcoming patch. It's a 50GB patch though and it's called 'modern warfare 4' :D

Seriously though, IW must know about the problems within the game and need to get it patched.
  • fastest fingerfastest finger Posts: 12,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I can't believe its down to bad systems. Both Xbox One and PS4 have beautiful looking games running at 1080p/60. You could blame the development environment, and the challenges of working on new hardware but with other games performing well I don't buy that either.

Either their game engine is fundamentally flawed, or they've simply rushed these to cash in on the next-gen hype. Either way, I'd lay the blame entirely with Activision and Infinity Ward.
  • jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    or they're simply RUSHING them out in time for a mini boom buying period?
  • SpeedloaferSpeedloafer Posts: 2,407
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is frame rate drop on the 360 too.
  • NorfolkBoy1NorfolkBoy1 Posts: 4,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Here's a revolutionary idea, how about everybody doesn't just blindly buy this year's CoD update? seeing as they clearly couldn't be bothered this time round.
  • gillyallangillyallan Posts: 31,708
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Here's a revolutionary idea, how about everybody doesn't just blindly buy this year's CoD update? seeing as they clearly couldn't be bothered this time round.

Well I did give up and moved to battlefield. Takes time to learn but worth it.
  • Dan27Dan27 Posts: 9,652
    Forum Member

Looks like this COD is a bad game, with bad coding all around . as I said elsewhere, MS has an embargo on the Xbone version - late embargoes are not a good sign for a game's quality is it?

Don't judge a console based upon one game. Especially one with an obviously large, money-grabbing churn rate such as Call Of Duty.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,848
    Forum Member

I have seen the Xbone video of MW and to be honest it would be OK for a 2008 game.

Graphically some PS3 multiplayers leave it for dead!

Watching it I thought no that is not next generation, I see better when I play KZ3 or TLOU
  • MD1500MD1500 Posts: 14,234
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But Destructoid has just said that it runs smoothly on XB1.

http://www.destructoid.com/call-of-duty-ghosts-performs-smoothly-on-xbox-one-265074.phtml
    So being that the game was running on Xbox One hardware, the first thing I'm sure the first thing that might spring to mind is the game's native 720p resolution. To be honest, I had known about the resolution going in, but it barely occurred to me while playing. If I hadn't known, I honestly would have never guessed. Instead, I was far more impressed with the game's smooth performance, owed in large part to its solid 60 frames-per-second.
  • He4rtHe4rt Posts: 5,379
    Forum Member
    I sure hope its smooth. I hope to buy the game in December.
  • GARETH197901GARETH197901 Posts: 22,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MD1500 wrote: »

That article also says that the reviewer was reviewing the game based on his time playing the multiplayer as he wasn't allowed access to the single player campaign
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,305
    Forum Member
    That article also says that the reviewer was reviewing the game based on his time playing the multiplayer as he wasn't allowed access to the single player campaign

The alleged frame rate drops aren't limited to the campaign though. The videos i saw earlier where the frame rate dropped were definitely of multiplayer gameplay.

Although the Destructoid reviewer does say that they only played one match, so it's possible that they just got lucky in having a smooth game. Fingers crossed that the X1 has a stable frame rate though!
  • GARETH197901GARETH197901 Posts: 22,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CJClarke wrote: »
    The alleged frame rate drops aren't limited to the campaign though. The videos i saw earlier where the frame rate dropped were definitely of multiplayer gameplay.

Although the Destructoid reviewer does say that they only played one match, so it's possible that they just got lucky in having a smooth game. Fingers crossed that the X1 has a stable frame rate though!

but thats what i meant,writing a review on one game of Multiplayer and saying that it holds its frame rate well is daft,the writer may not see the frame rate drops but the next player might
  • gdjman68wasdigigdjman68wasdigi Posts: 21,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    so many games with issues at the moment
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No doubt the frame rate drop problem will happen in other next gen games too but so what. Some of the posts in the game forums about frame rate drops and bad looking gfx get me thinking that some people expected the next gen consoles to have some kind of high end PC hardware for a fraction of the price. What the hell do people expect for £350 or £429 ?. The same performance you would have on a PC costing 3 times that amount ?. Even those are having problems with some of the newer games.
  • Ash_735Ash_735 Posts: 8,493
    Forum Member
    Even those are having problems with some of the newer games.

Especially COD Ghosts, you can have THREE £1000 Graphics Cards in SLi mode and still struggle to hit 60fps on it. maybe the game is a bit broken. :p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ash_735 wrote: »
    Especially COD Ghosts, you can have THREE £1000 Graphics Cards in SLi mode and still struggle to hit 60fps on it. maybe the game is a bit broken. :p

agreed.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No doubt the frame rate drop problem will happen in other next gen games too but so what. Some of the posts in the game forums about frame rate drops and bad looking gfx get me thinking that some people expected the next gen consoles to have some kind of high end PC hardware for a fraction of the price. What the hell do people expect for £350 or £429 ?. The same performance you would have on a PC costing 3 times that amount ?. Even those are having problems with some of the newer games.

Yea you have a PC you are the master race, we are just poor console owners. Although to be fair you only mention it every 3rd ****ing post....
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yea you have a PC you are the master race, we are just poor console owners. Although to be fair you only mention it every 3rd ****ing post....

You need to get a grip speed.I also game on console. I have nothing against the next gen consoles. I was referring to the spec of them and people expecting too much from those specs. Complaining about poor frame rates and poor gfx. I also said that PC's were having problems with some newer games too. How that makes PC gamers the master race is beyond me.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You need to get a grip speed.I also game on console. I have nothing against the next gen consoles. I was referring to the spec of them and people expecting too much from those specs. Complaining about poor frame rates and poor gfx. I also said that PC's were having problems with some newer games too. How that makes PC gamers the master race is beyond me.

Because you are saying we only paid £350 what do we expect? We expect the game to run smoothly we don't choose the hardware. How on earth are we expecting too much?
  • HetalHetal Posts: 5,415
    Forum Member

The game can't even run smoothly on a Titan. The problem lies with Infinity Ward.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Because you are saying we only paid £350 what do we expect? We expect the game to run smoothly we don't choose the hardware. How on earth are we expecting too much?

The developers need time to get to grips with the specs so they can get the best possible speed and gfx from the games but some console gamers expect that from the off. A quick read around the forums finds all sorts of complaints about frame rates and the like or games only being 720P and so on. What would gamers rather have, smooth game play or high res gfx ?. I know which one i'd choose. All I'm saying is that next gen consoles will have their limits. Surely people understand that. This has nothing to do with me owning a PC. I'm a gamer first and foremost.