Master thoughts...

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 141
Forum Member
Alan Rickman.

Saw Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix last night. Thought Rickman would be a very quiet and unnerving Master. The act off between him and Capaldi would be stunning!

Comments

• Sara_PeplowSara_Peplow Posts: 1,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They could come up with something if they wanted too. Maybe in the build up to the end of S8 he will have a confrontation with his old nemesis.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gary oldman
  • AdelaideGirlAdelaideGirl Posts: 3,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He's got to come back. He always does. Alan Rickman might be a good choice.
  • Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ben Miles could be a very dark Master compared to John Simm's camp master!
  • ukgnomeukgnome Posts: 541
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ben Miller would make a great Master.....
  • adams66adams66 Posts: 3,945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sean Pertwee. Great actor, great voice, does menace and threatening characters extremely well. Perfect casting.

Plus the added twist that he's Jon's son would guarantee loads of extra publicity.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 141
    Forum Member
    Imagine the fangirls delight when David Tennant is announced as The Master...

Seriously all if the above would be good except Ben Miller (sorry!)... Tim Roth!!!!!
  • Face Of JackFace Of Jack Posts: 7,181
    Forum Member
    Some interesting suggestions above. At the moment I'm drawn to Alan Rickman Vs Peter Capaldi - they seem like a good match!
  • krikkiter68krikkiter68 Posts: 272
    Forum Member
    Alan Rickman would be amazing with Capaldi. :) Tim Roth would be a great choice too IMO. Or possibly Kenneth Branagh?
    Forum Member
    Alan Rickman would be amazing with Capaldi. :) Tim Roth would be a great choice too IMO. Or possibly Kenneth Branagh?

Kenneth Branagh!

The Master: Forsooth I say thee...
    Twelve: Shut The **** up, speak ****ing English!
    Forum Member
    bobbit wrote: »
    Kenneth Branagh!

The Master: Forsooth I say thee...
    Twelve: Shut The **** up, speak ****ing English!

:D

Robert Lindsay? Brilliant in Citizen Smith, and villainous yet so vulnerable in GBH...anyone else think so?
    Forum Member
    So our short list is...

Alan Rickman
    Tim Roth
    Gary Oldman
    Robert Lindsay
    and Kenneth Brannagh?

Listening Moffat? The people have spoken...
  • Series_ArcSeries_Arc Posts: 13
    Forum Member
    bobbit wrote: »
    So our short list is...

Alan Rickman
    Tim Roth
    Gary Oldman
    Robert Lindsay
    and Kenneth Brannagh?

Listening Moffat? The people have spoken...

1 million percent agree.
  • ShhhSilenceShhhSilence Posts: 363
    Forum Member
    I'd enjoy a third and final story for John Simm's master. I can see he'd be leading Gallifrey (a planet with no blonde hair dye) and be far more calm and calculating following the 'drumming' being exorcised. A last hurrah for Harry Saxon :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 353
    Forum Member
    Seeing as he was my ideal candidate for 12 and didn't get it, I'd say Damian Maloney in his 'dark Hal' mode would be a frankly terrifying master.
  • Pink KnightPink Knight Posts: 24,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Always thought Lee Boardman who played Jez Quigley in Corrie might be ok, if they go down the over the top Ainley route again.
    Even though John Simm is a good actor, didn't get his Master.
    Over the top in a wrong way.
  • TEDRTEDR Posts: 3,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Robert Lindsay? Brilliant in Citizen Smith, and villainous yet so vulnerable in GBH...anyone else think so?

Until I saw GBH — on 4OD two or three years ago, nowhere near original broadcast — I had him written off as an extremely broad performer of light comedy. I was very wrong and agree with you wholeheartedly.
    Forum Member
    TEDR wrote: »
    Until I saw GBH — on 4OD two or three years ago, nowhere near original broadcast — I had him written off as an extremely broad performer of light comedy. I was very wrong and agree with you wholeheartedly.

Thanks for that! :) He's excellent, very underrated and deserves to be on TV a lot more IMO.

If they decide to go for a younger Master though, Damien Malony would be superb. I'd love to see him in the series, regardless of who he's playing. And I'd also like to see David Haig - who was so terrifying in 'The Thick of It' as Steve Fleming - pop up as a villain.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 491
    Forum Member
    Helen Mirren.
  • thorterrthorterr Posts: 110
    Forum Member
    but how is the master going to reappear after his end in the end of time?
  • Ash_735Ash_735 Posts: 8,493
    Forum Member
    thorterr wrote: »

There's always a way when it comes to The Master.
  • thorterrthorterr Posts: 110
    Forum Member
    well if he comes back then that means the time lords will be able to come back to
  • ShoppyShoppy Posts: 1,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not sure I'd be keen on Alan Rickman now but I wish he'd been the Master in the 8th Doctor movie instead of Eric Roberts!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 111
    Forum Member
    thorterr wrote: »

Simple. The Doctor and the Master are both time-travellers. They don't have to meet each other in order. Much like River popping in and out throughout her and the Doctor's timelines, what's to stop The Doctor bumping into an earlier incarnation of the Master? And possibly one who fits in between Roberts and Jacobi? I know there's the whole Time War being 'locked' but it might make for a simpler explanation than the potentially convoluted way of bringing the Master back sans Gallifrey for a standalone adventure. :)

EDIT - Alternatively you could avoid the whole Time War lock-down problem by having the Doctor bump into a version of the Master between Ainley and Roberts. After all we never saw which version of the Master was 'executed' by the Daleks in Doctor Who: The Movie.