ITV1's Titanic discussion thread

Comments

• LibitinaLibitina Posts: 2,430
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Didn't feel for any of the characters. It was also rushed through at Downton S2 speed. I thought last nights episode would be setting the scene and getting to know the characters as it were and the iceberg would appear next week perhaps.

4/10
  • Nesta RobbinsNesta Robbins Posts: 30,584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ichou wrote: »
    This post made me laugh; it reminded me of the Fawlty Towers scene with the lady who complained about the view from the window.

Given that this was a dramatic version of the true story of the voyage and sinking of the Titanic, I was wondering what you expected to see, other than, week after week, the story of the voyage and sinking of the Titanic?

We wanted herds of wildebeests! ;)
  • penelopesimpsonpenelopesimpson Posts: 14,907
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Papu wrote: »
    I'm hoping it gets better. wish i watched all the eps in a row now. that's usually what i do with things.

i got excited when i found out Julian fellows was doing it because I'm such a Downton Abbey fan. my fiancé bought me the box set for xmas. id never seen it before and watch that in blocks i think i need to do that with this too.

No, don't bother. It is truly terrible.
  • penelopesimpsonpenelopesimpson Posts: 14,907
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    UserXYZ wrote: »
    This was an awful, awful piece of drama.

-Awful acting
    -Really random character interactions that come out of nowhere
    -Absolutely ZERO sense of drama after the iceberg hit
    -Bland, boring sets that looks so soundstagey
    -Camerawork had zero flair
    -Music understated to the point of barely being noticeable (not helping with the lack of drama)
    -Characters we barely know and are then suddenly meant to care about in their "dramatic" scenes where they kiss and part ways blah blah blah
    -A general level of incompetence, absolutely laughable show.

and how about terrible dialogue? Who can forget: 'your family has always been in trade.' What a stonker.

My theory is that this wasn't the Titanic at all. This bunch of idiots had booked for a Titanic theme cruise and found themselves on a Thames pleasure cruiser.
  • CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Apparently it 'gets better' but I still only care about Annie's fate - the rest of them can go down with the series.
  • JanieBJanieB Posts: 3,425
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was enjoying it until the iceberg made an unexpectedly early appearance! I thought we were going to get a good character story background for at least two episodes and I was just saying to my other half that it was quite enjoyable when bang! In to the iceberg it went. What?? Already?? How are they going to fill the rest of the episodes??

Then when they showed the trailer it looks like they might be doing the character building and stories AFTER the disaster which would make some sense but it only served to confuse the viewer a bit (especially after a few Pimms at my earlier BBQ ;) We are obviously going to find out what Ken Barlow's son's "dirty secret" is (spat out by the evil murdered wife of Downton's Bates!) and the odd relationship between the maid with the book and the valet. Well at least I hope we do, otherwise I won't watch after next week. I will go and see Rose and Jack in 3D instead!
  • peaches41peaches41 Posts: 5,652
    Forum Member
    omg I can't believe this thread. I developed a bad migraine at about 8 pm last night and had to retire to bed, so recorded Upstairs Downstairs but forgot to record Titanic. After reading all you lot have to say this morning I'm so glad I missed it!

Wonder how Fellowes and the cast feel this morning, after reading what people have to say about the show?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JanieB wrote: »
    I was enjoying it until the iceberg made an unexpectedly early appearance! I thought we were going to get a good character story background for at least two episodes and I was just saying to my other half that it was quite enjoyable when bang! In to the iceberg it went. What?? Already?? How are they going to fill the rest of the episodes??

You saw the next time teaser, right? The story restarts in episode 2 and episode 3 with a new set of primary characters (the ship sinks four times over).

I expect Annie to be episode three :( I can probably skip the next episode if that is the case.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,363
    Forum Member
    CD93 wrote: »
    You saw the next time teaser, right? The story restarts in episode 2 and episode 3 with a new set of primary characters (the ship sinks four times over).

I expect Annie to be episode three :( I can probably skip the next episode if that is the case.

It was quite bizarre really. Why sink the ship four times? I wish the first episode hadn't been dominated by a silly romance and sneering between first class passengers.
    They can all go down with the ship. I did like the maid though and I hope we see more of her story and what about that mysterious brooch in the jewel pouch? Wonder if we will find out.
  • walford-e20walford-e20 Posts: 6,554
    Forum Member
    Totally underwhelming :yawn: Boring plots, characters I don't care about and too many of them, bad pacing and no atmosphere or danger at all.

3/10
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LIZALYNN wrote: »
    It was quite bizarre really. Why sink the ship four times? I wish the first episode hadn't been dominated by a silly romance and sneering between first class passengers.

Agreed. It was all nonsense. But then, this brings up another point. Would we prefer the ship to sink four times and have the characters suffer or would we want three episodes of snobbery? Those would probably have been the choices.
    They can all go down with the ship. I did like the maid though and I hope we see more of her story..

Indeed, so far, wasted talent...
  • sarahj1986sarahj1986 Posts: 11,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I watched the this last night and agree with it being to rushed, not very dramtic and introducing to many new characters in 10 minutes. I love the Cameron Film, yes I am going to see it re-released next month but this was just poo. I dont car who lives and who dies, Ive got a fairly good idea who does but I will see what happens next week. Overall not very impressed
  • 3PS3PS Posts: 822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I never normally bother with sunday night dramas so thought i will give this one a glance to see if it's any good. My word wish i didn't the programme was rubbish and wooden.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was underwhelmed.

The problem is everyone knows the story. Most people have seen the story reinacted at least twice. Maybe they should have distanced themselves from the usual crap that gets trotted out with love stories and snooty women.

The budget was never going to meet the 97 films budget, so they were on to a loser straight away and by going for the whole two young people, meet and fall in love knackers, it meant that comparisons to the film would always be made.

The makers should have thought outsidde the box a little.
  • KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    I wish the first episode hadn't been dominated by a silly romance and sneering between first class passengers.

Those are the only things that Fellowes knows how to write. He really is a total hack with his derivative, cliched rubbish.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi Everyone,

Sorry if I am repeating something that someone else has already said but I haven't had time to read through all the posts. The one thing that confused me is this.........

When Downton first started there was reference made to family members who were on the Titianic/the Titianic sinking. Is this meant to be a prequel style drama linked to Downton or something completely seperate? I just found it odd that Vera Bates from downton had suddenly turned into Muriel Batley in Titanic. Was I the only one confused by this?!?! :confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There is no connection to Downton.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CD93 wrote: »
    There is no connection to Downton.

Well they missed a trick there then!! :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hope they feature the ship more when it comes to focusing on the officers... with grandiose music. Or am I asking too much, Mr. Fellowes..
  • mal2poolmal2pool Posts: 5,690
    Forum Member
    Thought it was boring. It was like the film really..justr waiting for the iceberg/glacier mint to hit.

The Rest was ..have you met Lady so and so.....have you met Lord so and so....i couldnt remember who was who...
  • tennismantennisman Posts: 4,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Give it a chance.
  • Doctor_DonnaDoctor_Donna Posts: 825
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tennisman wrote: »
    Give it a chance.

I think watching the first episode of four is giving it a chance. If you aren't glued to your seat by the end, desperate to watch the next one, I'd say it failed.

Agree with what's been said. Boring and no connection to the characters, except the maid. What a waste of a cracking cast too.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Boring and no connection to the characters, except the maid. .

You see what she can do in a few minutes! :p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree with most on here who thought it was disappointing. Special mention should be made of all the "dancing" which was world class awful.
  • sp2011sp2011 Posts: 1,193
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought it was disappointing, but I'm going to watch it next week and give it another chance.