Laptop via TV

Hello all. Having connected my laptop and TV together via the VGA connections of each and PC input on TV. I was surprised that no sound was evident from the TV speakers just from the laptop,

Is there something I've not done right here regarding the settings of one or both units? Should I have used a VGA to HDMI cable instead of VGA to VGA cable? Or does it require another type of cable or sound source?.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,505
    Forum Member
    You need to also connect the headphone socket of the laptop to the audio input on the TV next to its VGA socket.
  • moogheadmooghead Posts: 771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    VGA is picture only - you really need HDMI for both....
    Forum Member
    Doesn't sound like the laptop has HDMI. Not much wrong with a VGA connection. Millions of computer users can't be wrong.
  • c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gomezz wrote: »
    You need to also connect the headphone socket of the laptop to the audio input on the TV next to its VGA socket.

^^^ This. VGA carries audio only.

Check your TV manual, there will be an audio input somewhere for when you connect a PC via VGA.
  • call100call100 Posts: 7,264
    Forum Member
    c4rv wrote: »
    ^^^ This. VGA carries audio only.

Check your TV manual, there will be an audio input somewhere for when you connect a PC via VGA.

Video.....................??;)
  • iangradiangrad Posts: 813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Doesn't sound like the laptop has HDMI. Not much wrong with a VGA connection. Millions of computer users can't be wrong.

Er assuming we are talking about a TV of perhaps 32" or usually well above that then VGA on a TV = grim results and always at the wrong aspect ratio . Don't get me wrong VGA is fine for 4" Phones or CRT 14" screens but 640 x 480 will not work well on normal TV's

HDMI to HDMI is the only answer for anything other than a quick look see .
  • grahamlthompsongrahamlthompson Posts: 18,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    iangrad wrote: »
    Er assuming we are talking about a TV of perhaps 32" or usually well above that then VGA on a TV = grim results and always at the wrong aspect ratio . Don't get me wrong VGA is fine for 4" Phones or CRT 14" screens but 640 x 480 will not work well on normal TV's

VGA in this case is the socket, it's capable of carrying much higher resolutions than 640 x 480.

Analogue component is capable of 1080p60.

1920 x 1080 16:9 is common, it depends on the capability of the graphics card in the computer, not the connection type.
  • iangradiangrad Posts: 813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    VGA in this case is the socket, it's capable of carrying much higher resolutions than 640 x 480.

Analogue component is capable of 1080p60.

1920 x 1080 16:9 is common, it depends on the capability of the graphics card in the computer, not the connection type.

Yes in theory you are correct , in practice i bet the laptop will max out at a 4.3 800 x 600 or a blured smudgy 1024 x 768 both of which are horrible to use on a normal size TV
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,330
    Forum Member
    Yes in theory you are correct , in practice i bet the laptop will max out at a 4.3 800 x 600 or a blured smudgy 1024 x 768 both of which are horrible to use on a normal size TV

The same laptop will probably max out at those resolutions via HDMI as well (if it even has it) - VGA is perfectly fine on an LCD TV, I've connected MANY computers to LCD TV's, some via HDMI but the vast majority via VGA (HDMI is still fairly rare on computers) - and VGA is usually just as good as HDMI.

Incidentally, I'm typing this on a 24" LCD monitor at 1920x1080 via VGA, despite both monitor and computer having HDMI, there's just no reason to change it.
    Forum Member
    Whether you are right or whether you are wrong is irrelevant if you don't have that option.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    call100 wrote: »
    Video.....................??;)

Duh, yes video only
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The screen I using right now is a 1920x1080 VGA connection.
  • grahamlthompsongrahamlthompson Posts: 18,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

My latptop looks very good on a 40" TV at 1280 x 720 16:9.

Using hdmi or vga makes sod all difference.
  • David (2)David (2) Posts: 20,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One of the screens at work is vga at 1920x1080 16x9. Awesome picture. Its the host pc graphics + monitor circuits that limit the res options, not vga.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 263
    Forum Member

Thanks Gomezz. Thats exactly what I have to do. Many thanks.