Leona Lewis overrated?

CFCJM1CFCJM1 Posts: 2,065
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Am I the only person on the planet who thinks Leona Lewis' singing is overrated and can't understand why she is being regarded as the new Whitney etc

To me her singing isn't in the same league as Whitney or much better than other x factor singers such as Brenda or Maria. Thought Nikki this year was comparable to her too.

Maybe I just don't get her voice.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She's leagues ahead of Nikki, but I'd agree she's about the same standard as Brenda or Maria (particularly Brenda, who was phenominal - her performance of Midnight Train to Georgia I still remember).

And, whilst Leona is very talented, I don't think Bleeding Love would have had as much of a fuss made about it if it was released by any other female artist, I'm not even sure it would have hit number one for anyone else.

But, she is very good :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,337
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I disagree. I think vocally she's amazing and potentially on a par with Saint Whitney (who herself has alluded to that fact)...I'm not so sure about her songs so far though.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think its also down to the "whole package" she's far more commercial than Brenda IMO/ She pretty, mixed race so appeals to wider audience, she's young too which is preferable to older mumsy black lady.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jive bunny wrote: »
    I disagree. I think vocally she's amazing and potentially on a par with Saint Whitney (who herself has alluded to that fact)...I'm not so sure about her songs so far though.

Agree, great tunes but a little safe perhaps (not that I know) :o:)
  • MatthewF32MatthewF32 Posts: 118
    Forum Member
    CFCJM1 wrote: »
    Am I the only person on the planet who thinks Leona Lewis' singing is overrated and can't understand why she is being regarded as the new Whitney etc

To me her singing isn't in the same league as Whitney or much better than other x factor singers such as Brenda or Maria. Thought Nikki this year was comparable to her too.

Maybe I just don't get her voice.

Shes not in the same league as Whitney - shes in the one above. Whitney is bloody awful - ever heard her live?
  • shaneyshaneyshaneyshaney Posts: 3,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why does she sing crouching down on her knees ?
  • IgnazioIgnazio Posts: 18,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MatthewF32 wrote: »
    Shes not in the same league as Whitney - shes in the one above. Whitney is bloody awful - ever heard her live?
    Well Whitney's voice has deteriorated - no doubt due to her lifestyle but it wasn't always thus. And I don't think Leona can stand comparison to her - not yet anyway.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 597
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Leona doesn't really compare to Whitney. Whitney does (or used to) sings effortlessly. To me Leona, although has a very good voice, always oversings and sounds like she's forcing the voice out of herself to try and show how strong her voice is.
  • Miss_MooMiss_Moo Posts: 8,997
    Forum Member
    Here's the Hayley Evett's (ex Popstar and Pop Idol) version.

Which does everyone prefer?

I actually prefer Hayley's. :o
  • Apple_CrumbleApple_Crumble Posts: 21,748
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why does she sing crouching down on her knees ?

Why was she humping a radiator in that god awful Bleeding Love video?
  • PsychosisPsychosis Posts: 18,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    *gasp* Hayley's is so much better! Now I know I could probably tolerate Leona's music without her whiny tone on the record.
  • Apple_CrumbleApple_Crumble Posts: 21,748
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Psychosis wrote: »
    *gasp* Hayley's is so much better!

Sure is.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hayley is very good, too - she didn't get as far as she should have in Pop Idol, same for Jessica Garlick (was she Idol, or Popstars, I forget?). Hayley's lacks the production of Leona's, but she's really great.

I worry for Leona, I do. Everything's great right now, but when the album takes off in the USA I don't think there's any doubt she'll be accused of 'ditching' the UK, and off chasing the "yankee-dollar", and forgetting her roots a la Natasha Bedingfield, which I don't think will be the case. I don't think people realise that artists generally have quite little say in where they are - they can request specific things I imagine, but generally as their bosses, the record company make the ultimate decisions for them?
  • Laurajayne7981Laurajayne7981 Posts: 838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hayley was really good, love that song.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,667
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like Leona a lot as a singer, but some of her fans are really frightening and can put me off a bit.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 367
    Forum Member
    Shes and her bleeding song was sooooo over rated and overplayed, to the point of it was hard to like in the first place as I hate the way she sounds like shes whinging all the way through the song then she "belts" it out predictably as its classed as "great" singing:rolleyes:

Dont rate her at all, but hey thats just my opinion. As for her singing live last night:rolleyes: As if.
  • coolercooler Posts: 13,024
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To be fair, Leona didnt write 'Bleeding Love'. I much prefered her singing kelly clarkson's 'A moment like this'. her vocals are incredible on that.
  • headwreckno1headwreckno1 Posts: 371
    Forum Member
    CFCJM1 wrote: »

I totally agree, I dont get her at all, her voice is very irritating to me
  • headwreckno1headwreckno1 Posts: 371
    Forum Member
    Why was she humping a radiator in that god awful Bleeding Love video?
    PMSL

I always thought that when I saw that video:eek:
  • MelodybearMelodybear Posts: 10,835
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think she can sing, but the vocal acrobatics are very annoying and Mariah or Whitney she is not. I heard her new single this morning and realised it was her immediately, because it sounded exactly the same as Bleeding Love. She was head and shoulders above other X factor contestants though.
  • pabs1904pabs1904 Posts: 4,036
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DEFINITELY overrated!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Leona is dire, her warbling & wind turbine actions are hilarious, she comes across as a wet blanket IMO, I feel sorry for her, the only track they played last night at the Brits was Bleeding H***.
    Very overrated, America are welcome to her, give me Amy anyday at least she has some oomph!
  • jimbojonesjimbojones Posts: 4,525
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think she is overated yes.
    I much prefer Hayley Evetts version...easier on the ears!!:)
  • Merry HappyMerry Happy Posts: 8,228
    Forum Member
    Her music is awful as for her looks, the least said about that the better.
  • coolercooler Posts: 13,024
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Simon Cowell said on the X Factor she is worldclass. he's meant to be an expert in the music industry. surely he knows what he's talking about.