O2 is broken... again

beecartbeecart Posts: 544
Forum Member
✭✭
Oct 12, 2012
10:27 am

Making calls and using data
We've got some problems with our phone service right now. Some phone numbers might not be working. Those numbers are not location specific

Ongoing

http://status.o2.co.uk/

Comments

• daclickdaclick Posts: 3,393
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bad times. Ive never had a problem with vodafone
  • Thine WonkThine Wonk Posts: 17,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is what twitter says for #o2:

Bob Apollo ‏@bobapollo
    #O2 network broken again - another disaster for hapless network operator

10m Andrea Grant ‏@AndreaGCat
    Anyone else having problems with their network? #O2

12m Lauren Samuels ‏@Laurensamuels88
    O2 seriously. You're down AGAIN?! Worst network ever. Sort. It. Out. #O2

13m Joss Garman ‏@jossgarman
    #O2 having big phone meltdown so have had no reception for past three hours. Grr. http://bit.ly/cYqRiL

Josh Ng ‏@CookieDude_2332
    Anyone on O2, if you are having a service issue, we are well aware of this and are working to rectify the issue. #O2

37m Nicky Lissner ‏@NickyLissner
    Cannot wait to leave #o2 I actually hate them!!!

57m Cat Forrest ‏@CatForrest
    So.... Seems I'm not only one and nor am I only one wanting to leave #O2!! Explanation would be nice - eta for a fix too pls......

1h Andrew Palmer ‏@arniepalmer
    #o2 We've got some problems with our phone service right now. Some numbers might not be working. Those numbers are not location specific

1h emma foster ‏@fcomms
    Fed up that for the second time this month #o2 has had network failure. Not good enough. Hope to be back soon..#o2fail

And the Giffgaff thread: http://community.giffgaff.com/t5/Service-Updates-Notice-board/Loss-of-service-12-10-2012/td-p/6317458
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,803
    Forum Member
    Soon to be renamed NO2?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Soon to be renamed NO2?

Too busy coming up with ideas for making money out of flogging your location data, rather than working on the reliability issues for service you actually pay them to provide.
  • mogzyboymogzyboy Posts: 6,390
    Forum Member
    Oh dear...O2 at it again. When will they get it right?

...and what's the advert displaying at the top of the page for me right now? That's right, you guessed it...GiffGaff! :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If I was Vodafone I'd be very worried about what I'd just signed myself up for that's for sure.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • wiltwilt Posts: 978
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Looks like I have been caught in it again. Nice.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Looks like a repeat of the same issue in July, this was the apology from then.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-18821395

Back in July the BBC were asking why is O2 suffering so many outages. The BBC journalist asked "what is it about O2 that means they have so many outages that rivals don't seem to suffer from", that was before the more recent ones!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-18812123

I suppose the prison service is unable to monitor some offenders with tags again like last time, as they all work on O2.
  • Hutchy_MuseHutchy_Muse Posts: 7,075
    Forum Member
    Down for me too, can't believe I've to suffer another 14 months of them..
  • psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mine seems fine at the moment. But it was behaving strangely yesterday evening for a while. Outgoing calls failing and incoming calls going straight to voicemail without ringing.
  • StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member
    Oh ffs, dead again for me :mad::mad:
  • beecartbeecart Posts: 544
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Corporate work phone down
  • Anika HansonAnika Hanson Posts: 15,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm down as well again grrrr. I thought it was my phone at first. Utterly ridiculous.
  • albertdalbertd Posts: 14,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The status is now saying
    Making calls and using data
    Further to the fault we reported earlier (where some customers in some areas have been unable to make or receive calls, texts or use data), we believe we have now identified the cause of the fault and are taking corrective action to restore service to those customers affected. Again we are sorry for any inconvenience this may be causing.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    albertd wrote: »
    The status is now saying

6 hours since is was posted as a fault by O2. I wonder how many more hours to get those customers attached back to the network.
  • HHGTTGHHGTTG Posts: 5,941
    Forum Member
    My HTC Desire S phone's dead here in Bromley S.London. Luckily I have two candybar, reliable phones on two other networks - as if I needed them as a retired person.:D
  • nicebitofstuffnicebitofstuff Posts: 29
    Forum Member
    That'll explain why my Tesco Mobile phone has had no signal all afternoon then. I was caught in this last time. Oddly my kids are both on the same network and are in the same house as me right now and are having no problems.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-19928507
    Millions suffer as O2 network stumbles

Millions of customers on O2's mobile network have reported having trouble making calls.

O2 said about 10% of its 22 million customers had suffered an intermittent service since 12:00 GMT on Friday.

On its network status page, O2 said some phone numbers across the UK were not working, but it was not the same technical fault that cut millions of customers off in July 2012.

The operator added it hoped to resolve the fault before early Friday evening.
  • TranceClubberTranceClubber Posts: 2,779
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yup out here too :mad:
  • neil79neil79 Posts: 532
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No problem with my Giffgaff connection (O2 ) and wish I could say the same of my works phone on Vodafone :yawn:
  • Everything GoesEverything Goes Posts: 12,972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mines is ok. Only suffered a minor problem last time and that was easily resolved by turning 3G off. I normally have no 3G coverage so not a problem!

Likely Home Location Register failure again.
  • andys cornerandys corner Posts: 1,664
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My phone went a bit loopy before- iPhone 4 on tesco. Rebooted and turned off 3G and it sorted it's life out.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mines is ok. Only suffered a minor problem last time and that was easily resolved by turning 3G off. I normally have no 3G coverage so not a problem!

Likely Home Location Register failure again.

They say not the same issue according the the BBC, but it does sound like HLR's again.

Hmmm interesting, talking of HLR's.

http://it.slashdot.org/story/12/10/12/1310224/lone-packet-crashes-telco-networks?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+Slashdot%2Fslashdot+%28S

This published today:
    "A penetration tester has shown that GSM communications systems can be taken down with a handful of malformed packets. The weakness was in the lack of security around the Home Location Register server clusters which store GSM subscriber details as part of the global SS7 network.

Coincidence? probably.