Panasonic TX-P42UT50B usb recording?

Dear all,

owned one of these for just over a year. On the freeview it has the option to "Timer Record". The manual does mention recorded but does not say whether this can be done by usb HD. I read somewhere it can provided they are larger than 160gb but less than 2tb.

Any ideas?

Comments

• chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Unless I'm missing something blindingly obvious this TV can't record to any type of USB storage device. As far as I can see reading the manual online the Timer Record function requires an external recorder of some sort to actually perform the recording.

Which to me suggests it sends a series of commands to an external DVD recorder or the like to instruct that recorder to record whatever the TV is sending back down the SCART lead.

The manual I found was from this webpage

http://www.panasonic.co.uk/html/en_GB/Products/TX-P42UT50B/Overview/9035075/index.html?trackInfo=true

Presume that is the TV you have?
  • mac2708mac2708 Posts: 3,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    According to this review http://reviews.cnet.co.uk/tvs/panasonic-tx-p42ut50b-review-50008953/

about half way down the page

"If you hook a hard drive or big enough USB memory key up to one of the USB ports, you also get some rudimentary video recorder features. You can pause live TV or record shows to disc. Timers are easy to set up as you just select the programmes you want to record in the EPG, much as you do on a standard personal video recorder. But there's only one tuner, so you can't watch a channel while recording another.
  • SnrDevSnrDev Posts: 6,094
    Forum Member
    mac2708 wrote: »
    "If you hook a hard drive or big enough USB memory key up to one of the USB ports, you also get some rudimentary video recorder features. You can pause live TV or record shows to disc. Timers are easy to set up as you just select the programmes you want to record in the EPG, much as you do on a standard personal video recorder. But there's only one tuner, so you can't watch a channel while recording another.
    That's exactly it and what we used quite happily for a couple of years until I caved in and got Sky. It works really well and the reality was that it was a rare event that not being able to watch & record different progs was a hassle. We used it for saving stuff for later second viewing - Top Gear, MoTD for the kids, Dr Who etc. Catch up services cover the mainstream channels and most of the other channels are endless repeats anyway. Hook up your external hdd to the tv, format it and away you go. You can't hook it up to another tv to watch your recordings as it's tied to the original tv. It works and works well, and links directly into the EPG.
  • soulboy22soulboy22 Posts: 484
    Forum Member
    SnrDev wrote: »
    That's exactly it and what we used quite happily for a couple of years until I caved in and got Sky. It works really well and the reality was that it was a rare event that not being able to watch & record different progs was a hassle. We used it for saving stuff for later second viewing - Top Gear, MoTD for the kids, Dr Who etc. Catch up services cover the mainstream channels and most of the other channels are endless repeats anyway. Hook up your external hdd to the tv, format it and away you go. You can't hook it up to another tv to watch your recordings as it's tied to the original tv. It works and works well, and links directly into the EPG.

Many Thanks for that reply, do you have the same model then?