JJ Abrams CONFIRMED to direct Star Wars

13»

Comments

• tremetreme Posts: 5,445
    Forum Member
    The Star Wars and Star Trek universes are very different creatively. Star Trek is what I would call science-fiction, Star Wars is more science-fiction fantasy.
  • Broken_ArrowBroken_Arrow Posts: 10,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've watched Star Trek for countless years and have seen all the Star Wars movies You don't need to tell me what they're about. As far as JJ Abrams version of Star Trek goes it's more in line with a Star Wars movie (sans fantasy element). In fact the Star Trek movies have never been a good representation of Star Trek as a whole because they're usually more action orientated rather than cerebral like the tv shows. In that way, and in my opinion, they share similarities with the big blockbuster Star Wars movies. Obviously I can tell the differences but there are enough similarities that there could be a creative conflict for a director in charge of both properties. It's like having the same person in charge of EastEnders and Coronation Street. Both have similarities but many differences. But there is a danger they could become diluted by having the same person overseeing them. That's all I was getting at when I asked if Abrams would continue with Star Trek now he has Star Wars to contend with.
  • Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,326
    Forum Member
    “There were the very early conversations and I quickly said that because of my loyalty to Star Trek, and also just being a fan, I wouldn’t even want to be involved in the next version of those things. I declined any involvement very early on. I’d rather be in the audience not knowing what was coming, rather than being involved in the minutiae of making them.”

— J.J. Abrams on being offered the role as directing Star Wars Episode VII, Empire magazine Feb 2013
    Well, that is an interesting quote.

It makes you wonder what made JJ Abram$ change his mind.
  • tremetreme Posts: 5,445
    Forum Member
    I've watched Star Trek for countless years and have seen all the Star Wars movies You don't need to tell me what they're about.

It's only a discussion mate, take it easy. :)
  • NorfolkBoy1NorfolkBoy1 Posts: 4,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    *generic lens flare 'joke'*
  • KarisKaris Posts: 6,380
    Forum Member
    *generic lens flare 'joke'*

Hehehehe :eek:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    Well, that is an interesting quote.

It makes you wonder what made JJ Abram$ change his mind.

Perhaps he was lying, if he knew at that time he'd have been subject to a non-disclosure agreement so couldn't say anything. Maybe he was trying to play Disney for creative control. Maybe Disney got desperate...
  • MacLovinMacLovin Posts: 2,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well I'm very happy with the appointment of JJ Abrams as the director.

Roll on May 2015:D
  • ASIFZEDASIFZED Posts: 1,388
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do you think it's a safe bet to assume regular JJ Abrams collaborator Michael Giacchino will take over scoring duties and replace John Williams?
  • PunksNotDeadPunksNotDead Posts: 21,233
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just read in The Sun (yes i know:rolleyes:) Episode VII features Darth Maul, so its a prequel to Phantom Menace? Are they on about the Thrawn Trilogy?
    Link
  • RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just read in The Sun (yes i know:rolleyes:) Episode VII features Darth Maul, so its a prequel to Phantom Menace?

Darth Maul is alive. The dark side of the force, fuelled by his hatred, kept him alive. How and if they fit him into the new movie is something else entirely.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RebelScum wrote: »
    Darth Maul is alive. The dark side of the force, fuelled by his hatred, kept him alive.

I understand they brought him back for the animated series "The clone wars" but never watched that. Wonder how his absence during episode IV- VI will be explained.
  • RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I understand they brought him back for the animated series "The clone wars" but never watched that. Wonder how his absence during episode IV- VI will be explained.

Who knows. He's still very much on the go in the Clone Wars causing all sorts of mayhem, but as we never see him in Episode 3, something must happen at some point that would explain his absence. Although tbh, at this point I'm just taking stuff like Maul being in the next movie with a pinch of salt, I'm happy to just wait and see what's what nearer the time.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RebelScum wrote: »
    Who knows. He's still very much on the go in the Clone Wars causing all sorts of mayhem, but as we never see him in Episode 3, something must happen at some point that would explain his absence. Although tbh, at this point I'm just taking stuff like Maul being in the next movie with a pinch of salt, I'm happy to just wait and see what's what nearer the time.

I agree, but there is going to be so much speculation over the next two years i just hope films not a huge letdown like The Phantom Menace :(
  • kendogukkendoguk Posts: 13,804
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Surely he cannot do that badly lol
  • BlurayBluray Posts: 661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    People are laughable.
    So many people have slagged George Lucas off through all the prequels and his tinkering of the original trilogy.......
    Someone completely new is having a go and people STILL moan.....before its even been made.

Mind-boggling!
  • humehume Posts: 2,088
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wish disney would wait 5 years and approach James Cameron to do it. Star Wars deserves someone of his calibre at the helm.
  • Sniffle774Sniffle774 Posts: 20,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JCR wrote: »
    It's not like Highlander has a whole heap of credibility to begin with, downhill after the first one is putting it mildly.

Any remake is unlikely to be worse than 2.

A pile of dog shite served, steaming hot, to every cinema goer would be better than Highlander 2. :o
  • Sniffle774Sniffle774 Posts: 20,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think its a good choice myself and I look forwards to seeing what he can do.