Question about Kinect and the System Update needed

JasonJason Posts: 76,557
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Ok, now I fully accept that there's probably nothing I can do here but I'm going to ask anyway in case someone does know something clever.

I have a 250gb Xbox Slim that I bought from my local Cash Generators a few months ago. When I bought it, I discovered it was banned from XBL. I took it back and they offered me a console that wasn't banned or they said I could keep this console and they'd give me a partial refund on it and half a dozen games or blu-rays of my choice, so since I don't play on XBL and couldn't afford it anyway, I chose the latter and I've been quite happy ever since.

Now I recently saw a good offer in GAME for a 2nd hand Kinect with no PSU and two Kinect games so I went for it, assuming it was literally a case of plug and play. Just got it and plugged it in and, invariably, I need to go to XBL for a system update.

Now this is obviously not possible due to the console being banned, so I'm wondering if there's any way around it ?

I've seen some dashboard updates floating around online which i'm willing to try if it means I can get the Kinect working, but obviously I wouldn't want to brick the console or anything like that. Even banned, it still works fine so is still probably sellable.

Worst case scenario, I can take it to CEX for exchange and probably get the new Tomb Raider game so in that respect, I wouldn't mind so much. I doubt I can return it to game as there's most likely nothing wrong with it.

So any ideas would be most welcome - thankyou :)

#edit

Hold that thought .. I appear to be able to download the latest update from the Microsoft Website.. trying it now ..

#edit 2

Panic over .. update installed and Kinect working perfectly. Nothing to see here :)

Comments

• Daveoc64Daveoc64 Posts: 15,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just for future reference, the latest console update (including support for accessories like Kinect) should always be available as a free download on:

http://www.xbox.com/en-GB/update

As noted here, it can even be installed on a console that has been banned from Xbox LIVE.
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for that - i'll make sure to keep an eye on it. Another thing that the update actually managed to do was to restore the Avatar I'd created before I initially found out about the ban. So at least it looks a bit better than the grey blob I had :)