Torvill & Dean quitting Dancing on Ice after next series...

jiroosjiroos Posts: 15,212
Forum Member
✭✭
...as exclusively revealed on Daybreak a few minutes ago.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the show itself is ending next year
  • Vodka_DrinkaVodka_Drinka Posts: 28,740
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What will Schofield do now? His ego will surely take a massive knock from this news, he'll no longer be able to be completely self indulgent on This Morning.

To be honest I'm not surprised. Ratings have fallen a lot and its better to go out on a high.
  • dorydaryldorydaryl Posts: 15,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Agree, best to end on a high- much as I love T & D.
  • OldnjadedOldnjaded Posts: 89,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a shame because I love DOI and am really not a fan of Strictly, but we all suspected as much when the ratings continued to fall throughout the last series. :(

Let's hope ITV come up with something mega to replace it, (and I DON'T mean Red or Black)! :mad:
  • SenseiSamSenseiSam Posts: 3,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's the 30th anniversary of Bolero next year too. Typical of them to want to stop while they're still at the top of their game. I think they're amazing to still have the same professionalism and love of skating after so many years. Hope they get a good line-up for the final series.
  • ursula321ursula321 Posts: 1,430
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The show was getting boring, same old routines just to different music.
  • tangsmantangsman Posts: 3,661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glad this crap is being axed.
    Shame it's not with immediate effect.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3
    Forum Member
    its hardly crap! tangsman.... honestly it may not be your cup of tea...but that is just an idiotic statement!
  • jiroosjiroos Posts: 15,212
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What will Schofield do now? His ego will surely take a massive knock from this news, he'll no longer be able to be completely self indulgent on This Morning.

Well, we're about to find out...T&D are coming up on TM next!
  • Swanandduck2Swanandduck2 Posts: 5,502
    Forum Member
    The show had got really tired and it never attracted the same calibre of celebs as Strictly Come Dancing. I think they're right to call a day on it.
  • SloopySloopy Posts: 65,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Long overdue. They probably should have put an end to it a couple of series ago. It always was the bargain bucket version of Strictly.

By next year they will have worked through the entire cast of TOWIE and Coronation Street so there will be nobody else to book.
  • Vodka_DrinkaVodka_Drinka Posts: 28,740
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jiroos wrote: »
    Well, we're about to find out...T&D are coming up on TM next!

I missed that. What did they say?

The show seemed to deteriorate suddenly when Holly left to do The Voice. Christine Bleakley isn't as warm and has no chemistry with Philip. Add to that to the fact that they have never been been able to attract the calibre of celebrity that Strictly does and it was never going to last long term.
  • MarleyBMarleyB Posts: 748
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Love Torvill and Dean but it started slipping after series 3 they should of stopped it after that, series two was best when kyron and that hot chick won
  • Dancing GirlDancing Girl Posts: 8,209
    Forum Member
    Not surprised although they Keep telling us that this year's Group of celebs were the best ever!!!!!! Some programmes just die out. It was a great idea initially but it became the same series after series and the quality of "celebs" well, come on, they employed Pamela Anderson for goodness sake telling us all she was a great Hollywood star etc!!!! Yeah right. There was no DoI tour this year which as due to lack of public interest and bottoms on seats!!! It is hardly a shock and the Show has been cancelled. Although they are desperately trying to make it appear that it was Torvill and Dean's decision to leave the Show. There i sn't a Dancing on Ice show
  • SuperAPJSuperAPJ Posts: 10,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    they employed Pamela Anderson for goodness sake telling us all she was a great Hollywood star etc!!!!

I was amused that while the other contestants were introduced as "singer", "TV presenter" "soap star" etc, we were told that Pamela was simply a "Hollywood superstar". That doesn't indicate what she actually does. It made me wonder, what is she known for other than Baywatch, her little videotape and modelling off the back of that? If it had been an actor/actress who'd been in lots of hit films then I might find the title more justified. Having said that, Pamela's probably the biggest name ever secured for a UK reality TV show.
  • CreamteaCreamtea Posts: 14,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I bet Pippin is secretly fuming at this news. Mind you, ITV will just give him ANOTHER showw to do. :yawn:
  • Mr DangerousMr Dangerous Posts: 902
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DOI is well past it's sell by date, I will be glad to see the back of it personally, I think the real reason for the axe is MONEY....
  • offtotheracesofftotheraces Posts: 723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I found the show great for the first few years but for some reason it lost its watchability for me very quickly, even though I like ice skating. I'm surprised it's last as long as it has, but good on T&D for being honest and doing what they want to do. Sometimes you know when it's time to move on.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9
    Forum Member
    It doesn't surprise me.........all the Z listers who'd left the soaps seemed to end up there....:yawn:
  • Mr DangerousMr Dangerous Posts: 902
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ruthyone wrote: »
    It doesn't surprise me.........all the Z listers who'd left the soaps seemed to end up there....:yawn:

Plus the people no bugger has heard from in years turns up, same with Strictly really.

What bugs me is that some people on DOI are already doing other things so how can they commit to their day job as well as DOI??
  • DarthFaderDarthFader Posts: 3,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was all the so called shock twists that ruined it for me. Strictly has near enough stayed the same but has done fine.

PJ
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,228
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bex. wrote: »
    the show itself is ending next year

It might be that they want to get out before the show ends, therefore they end up getting dumped. This way, it looks like they've just gotten sick of it.
  • cazzzcazzz Posts: 12,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    one less show for Phillip Schofield to front which is a bonus....they were running out of zlisters for the show. The T&D routine at the start was the only good thing about the show. I liked Robin Cousins, a nice judge but the rest was just panto. Its about time it was put to rest.
  • offtotheracesofftotheraces Posts: 723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DarthFader wrote: »
    It was all the so called shock twists that ruined it for me. Strictly has near enough stayed the same but has done fine.

PJ

I agree, the shock twists were rubbish. I hated stuff like the duels. It was best during the first two series when it was simple and not trying to be clever or shocking. Like you say, Strictly has stayed mostly the same since the start and it does alright so maybe DOI should have remained true to its roots as well.
  • SloopySloopy Posts: 65,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cazzz wrote: »
    one less show for Phillip Schofield to front which is a bonus....they were running out of zlisters for the show. The T&D routine at the start was the only good thing about the show. I liked Robin Cousins, a nice judge but the rest was just panto. Its about time it was put to rest.

Don't worry. I'm sure they're lining the next job up for him.....such as reading the news, or doing the weather forecasts, which are pretty much the only things he hasn't presented on ITV yet.