DMR-EX75 Error: U81

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4
Forum Member
Hi All,

Does anyone know what ther error code U81 means and how to fix it?

I came back from holiday the other day to find my machine displaying U81 and having not recorded a single item that I had set it for!

Panasonic tech support just gave me the usual response - but I don't really want to send it away if its something simple. Why won't they just say what the error code actually means?

Thanks in advance! :confused:

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 118
    Forum Member
    Search this sector, the answer has been posted before.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    Mine too showed this error code last night.

Couldnt find the 1 other post until i my account was validated so i could'nt do a search to find it ( as its not directly related to it)

My machine is 6 days old and displayed it.
    Machine locked up whilst watching Freeview.
    Rebooted , and displayed U81
    rebooted, took ages to come back up..

working ok....but for how long before it does it again.

Be nice if there was an actual reponse for what U81 actually meant.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4
    Forum Member
    Yes, that mentioned U81 - but it doesn't say what it actually means... surely someone must know?

Mine hasn't done it since - but then I haven't left the machine to itself without using it for longer than a day.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 342
    Forum Member
    I think it's the best you will get, unless you can find a Panasonic service engineer to pin up against a wall... ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    I rang panasonic today, spoke to a lady called Charlie.

I explained the unit was only a few days old , and displayed the error U81, and can she tell me what the error is.

All she said was that it has developed an internal error and needs to be replaced.As it was so new she suggested i send it back.

Forunately i ordererd it from LetsGoDigital and they are really good.

Its being collected, and another unit is going to be dispatched.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 500
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mine is showing that error now too.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just spoke to Panasonic, they've told me to turn it off at the mains for half an hour and then turn it back on and it should be fine. The DVD is playing fine though. Gotta rush out now so I'll have to do it later. He told me that if it happens again they'll refer me to a Panasonic engineer who'll fix it (no mention of sending it back in!) I've had it just over a month I think.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3
    Forum Member
    i own a DMRES20 AND IT HAS THE FAULT CODES U80 AND U81 SHOWING UP REPEATEDLY I SWITCH OFF THE POWER AND IT DOES A SELF CHECK THEN WORKS OK BUT IT IS GETTING HARDER TO CLEAR THE FAULT CODES. I HAVE BEEN TOLD THAT THE CODES RELATE TO A SOFTWARE PROBLEM WITH FREEVIEW AND CANNOT BE FIXED AT THIS MOMENT I'M STILL WAITING ON A PANASONIC ENGINEER TO PHONE ME BACK TO FIND OUT WHAT THEY ARE GOING TO DO ABOUT THE PROBLEMS
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jimmy4468 wrote:
    i own a DMRES20 AND IT HAS THE FAULT CODES U80 AND U81 SHOWING UP REPEATEDLY I SWITCH OFF THE POWER AND IT DOES A SELF CHECK THEN WORKS OK BUT IT IS GETTING HARDER TO CLEAR THE FAULT CODES. I HAVE BEEN TOLD THAT THE CODES RELATE TO A SOFTWARE PROBLEM WITH FREEVIEW AND CANNOT BE FIXED AT THIS MOMENT I'M STILL WAITING ON A PANASONIC ENGINEER TO PHONE ME BACK TO FIND OUT WHAT THEY ARE GOING TO DO ABOUT THE PROBLEMS

Thanks for this info. I've had the codes several times now too, particularly U81 recently. It missed taping something for me the other day because of this which was annoying to say the least! I don't have a particularly good signal here with freeview I don't know if this has anything to do with it, but please keep me posted.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 342
    Forum Member
    PinkBeauty wrote:
    It missed taping something for me the other day because of this which was annoying to say the least!
    Out of interest where exactly did you put the tape... ;)
    Just kidding! :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4
    Forum Member
    I haven't had the problem for a while now - but I do know that I don't get a particularly good freeview signal. Maybe it is something to do with that. :cry: :eek:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
    Forum Member

I came back from holiday the other day to find my machine displaying U81 and having not recorded a single item that I had set it for!

Panasonic tech support just gave me the usual response - but I don't really want to send it away if its something simple. Why won't they just say what the error code actually means?

Thanks in advance! :confused:[/QUOTE]
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cye3 wrote: »

These are error codes generated by the main microprocessor which are tripped by corruption, preventing it's operation and which requires the processor to be reset.

The codes do not actually mean anything at all because the corruption error potentially has a great many possible causes.
    It does not point to any specific fault as such.

U81 error literally means 'Microprocessor Communication Error on the Universal asynchronous receiver/transmitter' but I dare say if Panasonic told you that , you would be no further forward.

Corruption can arise for many different reasons .. and is not surprising in a box that has an aerial feeding endless streams of complex data into it, has a mains connection with interference on it, has two internal data storage and retrieval systems, either of which can be problematic... and sits permanently bathed in electrical and radio frequency fields of varying intensity.

Causes can be difficult to identify and may be internal or external.
    Such problems may be exacerbated during the transitional phase of the DSO [ Digital Switch Over ]

In practice, all one can do is follow good practices:
    Don't stack gear - or give it plenty ventilation if you do.
    Ensure good clean mains supplies.
    Ensure a properly installed aerial system with sound connectors and adequate screening.... etc.
  • hablerhabler Posts: 26
    Forum Member
    My unit is also showing this same error code as of last week. I sent it to a local AV dealer and they could not fix the fault - they think a new processor chip or entire board will be required. They have passed it to a Panasonic repair centre for confirmation and I await the bad news.

Perhaps 3 years is the life of Panasonic machines. The last one (VHS & DVD) only lasted 3 years and that was also well looked after and not over used. It had reasonable ventilation too.

Any one else got an opinion on their life expectancy?

Regards,
    Andrew
  • DEmmersonDEmmerson Posts: 1,650
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    habler wrote: »
    My unit is also showing this same error code as of last week. I sent it to a local AV dealer and they could not fix the fault - they think a new processor chip or entire board will be required. They have passed it to a Panasonic repair centre for confirmation and I await the bad news.

Perhaps 3 years is the life of Panasonic machines. The last one (VHS & DVD) only lasted 3 years and that was also well looked after and not over used. It had reasonable ventilation too.

Any one else got an opinion on their life expectancy?

Regards,
    Andrew

Life expectancy is indirectly related to usage and, to a smaller degree, price. The more expensive something is, the longer it should reasonably be expected to last. Anything over a couple of hundred pounds should last at least 5 years, especially if it is not moved and you follow the recommended operating environment.

3 years is far too short and you should expect a free repair from the place you bought it.
  • jacko 2jacko 2 Posts: 442
    Forum Member
    cye3 wrote: »

Thanks in advance! :confused:
    [/QUOTE]

:eek:I think U81 error is a microprocessor problem of some sort.
  • hablerhabler Posts: 26
    Forum Member
    My U81 fault turned out to be a power supply problem. Some power supply components needed to be replaced and the software needed to be reflashed afterwards. The machine was out of warranty but I reported it to Panasonic anyway and they very kindly paid for the repair!

Very pleased to have the machine back and working.

Regards,
    Andrew
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    habler wrote: »
    My U81 fault turned out to be a power supply problem. Some power supply components needed to be replaced and the software needed to be reflashed afterwards. The machine was out of warranty but I reported it to Panasonic anyway and they very kindly paid for the repair!

Very pleased to have the machine back and working.

Regards,
    Andrew

...and I'm very pleased to hear of this good outcome.

Thanks for this report.

Good luck with your machine.
  • DavidStewardDavidSteward Posts: 66
    Forum Member
    I am now getting the U81 error on my Panasonic DMR-EX75. Re-starting after powering down makes no difference. It has had very light use it is used almost exclusively to archive Doctor Who recordings. I tend to use the Topfield TF5800 with a 1TB drive and the 2TB USB drive attached to the Panasonic TV.

I assume it is not worth repairing. What should I consider replacing it with?

David
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am now getting the U81 error on my Panasonic DMR-EX75. Re-starting after powering down makes no difference. It has had very light use it is used almost exclusively to archive Doctor Who recordings. I tend to use the Topfield TF5800 with a 1TB drive and the 2TB USB drive attached to the Panasonic TV.

I assume it is not worth repairing. What should I consider replacing it with?

David

It probably is worth repairing.

There is someone who advertises on ebay offering a U81 repair service for a decent price... and who has proved reliable and trustworthy.
  • stanandjanstanandjan Posts: 762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks to the Forum I now know that my panny Ex75 with 'No Freeview' probably needs new Caps.. and as i renewed a Lewis's guarantee I assume no real problem there..
    However I use the hard drive for Wildlife shots..[NOT that sort:D]..
    and Musical Show extracts..in total about 300 entries ..
    I would be happy to buy a similar or better model to copy over the data as a precaution for the repairers accidentally losing the Hard drive contents..and sharing the future work load..I have shelf space now as the Old Plasma was a 2 part TV..The EX 75 does all I want..It trims easily the Humax SD outputs..etc etc..Not concerned overly about HiDefn Freeview.. Could you suggest my 'Best Buy' Gavtech please?..
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    stanandjan wrote: »
    Thanks to the Forum I now know that my panny Ex75 with 'No Freeview' probably needs new Caps.. and as i renewed a Lewis's guarantee I assume no real problem there..
    However I use the hard drive for Wildlife shots..[NOT that sort:D]..
    and Musical Show extracts..in total about 300 entries ..
    I would be happy to buy a similar or better model to copy over the data as a precaution for the repairers accidentally losing the Hard drive contents..and sharing the future work load..I have shelf space now as the Old Plasma was a 2 part TV..The EX 75 does all I want..It trims easily the Humax SD outputs..etc etc..Not concerned overly about HiDefn Freeview.. Could you suggest my 'Best Buy' Gavtech please?..

The DMR-EX773 would suit your needs...but I'm uncertain where you refer to 'Wildlife shots' if you mean movie clips or JPEGS..

If you need JPEG support and an SD card slot, go for the DMR-EX83.

EX773 Details here.

EX83 Details here.
  • stanandjanstanandjan Posts: 762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Most kind of you to enquire Gavtech and as the old man said.."There's the rub"..
    The camera is Home office approved for Courts etc so produces up to 11 different mpegs and a similar number of jpegs all then complicated by PARs etc.. all are stored in complicated 'Evidential' pattern on a hard drive..
    A Minefield I tread gently in.. as from time to time the JPGs come out often as AVIs:eek: a further complication is keeping the light levels low throughout the night.
    Obviously with our tired eyes we tend to watch on the TV and hence record from there easily to Panny..or even to the very old Sony Camcorder DV tape..
    I am sure there must be an easy way to square my circle of getting the 1minute shot to a USB for showing at the Wildlife meeting.. Would an AV forums slot be best do you think please?

Stan
  • DavidStewardDavidSteward Posts: 66
    Forum Member
    I have managed to obtain a repair kit via eBay which claims to solve the problem. It contains two easy to get capacitors and an IC chip which is probably hard to source.

Will try it and report back on the results.

David