BT now provide totally unlimited broadband

1235»

Comments

• Simon RodgersSimon Rodgers Posts: 4,693
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    moox wrote: »
    Because your problem (I don't know what it is) may be related to long line length, which is something that cannot be fixed without... installing street cabinets containing the broadband equipment? (which is what BT is doing and is selling the resulting service as "Infinity")

I want a normal service with a decent connection, nothing more. That's what I pay for. Simple.
    They charge a bit more for the service to try to recoup the investment in the infrastructure. If you want to be stubborn and continue to moan then that's up to you, everyone else will be upgrading to a service that can deliver a massive speed boost though...

I don't care what they do with the money they get. They make stupidly high fortunes in a few seconds that many people would never see in a lifetime. They can quite easily afford decent services to provide and they are clearly NOT doing this.

How is complaining about not getting what I paid for being stubborn? Especially when they CAN fix it and refuse to?
  • mooxmoox Posts: 18,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I want a normal service with a decent connection, nothing more. That's what I pay for. Simple.

I don't care what they do with the money they get. They make stupidly high fortunes in a few seconds that many people would never see in a lifetime. They can quite easily afford decent services to provide and they are clearly NOT doing this.

How is complaining about not getting what I paid for being stubborn? Especially when they CAN fix it and refuse to?

Because the problem may not actually be fixable without upgrading to an Infinity type service. You don't appear to have said what the problem is but if it is rubbish speeds due to long line length then the solution really is to upgrade to something like Infinity. BT cannot change the laws of physics.

Again, if I'm correct (and if Infinity is available where you are), you're really causing problems for yourself by refusing to upgrade to a service that would presumably fix the problem.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Because the problem may not actually be fixable without upgrading to an Infinity type service. You don't appear to have said what the problem is but if it is rubbish speeds due to long line length then the solution really is to upgrade to something like Infinity. BT cannot change the laws of physics.
    The problem is with my connection constantly cutting out, sometimes several times in a few minutes.
    Again, if I'm correct (and if Infinity is available where you are), you're really causing problems for yourself by refusing to upgrade to a service that would presumably fix the problem.

And no you're not correct, I have already said BT Infinity is NOT available where I am.

BT Infinity would be more expensive and to be honest if I am paying for a service with decent connection, why should I upgrade and pay more for something which should do what I originally paid for?

If they could give it to me at the same price, fair enough but I can't see what happening can you?
  • albertdalbertd Posts: 14,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Assuming that your gripe is about slow speed/poor connection, then what you are paying for is an "up-to" service which, depending upon the length of your line, may be very slow indeed. As said above, you cannot change the laws of physics - "long line = slow speed".
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    albertd wrote: »
    Assuming that your gripe is about slow speed, then what you are paying for is an "up-to" service which, depending upon the length of your line, may be very slow indeed. As said above, you cannot change the laws of physics - "long line = slow speed".

It's nothing to do with slow speed, it's to do with no speed. How many more times?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's nothing to do with slow speed, it's to do with no speed. How many more times?
    Same applies to intermittent connections. If your line is long and the profile is set for a speed that it cannot achieve then you will get poor connections. I had months of that problem, but since getting Infinity (with a much shorter line) it has been fine.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    albertd wrote: »
    Same applies to intermittent connections. If your line is long and the profile is set for a speed that it cannot achieve then you will get poor connections. I had months of that problem, but since getting Infinity (with a much shorter line) it has been fine.

But BT Infinity is not available in my area anyway so it looks like I'm stuffed.
  • mooxmoox Posts: 18,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But BT Infinity is not available in my area anyway so it looks like I'm stuffed.

But it sounds like you wouldn't want to upgrade to it if it were available so you'd be stuffed regardless.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But it sounds like you wouldn't want to upgrade to it if it were available so you'd be stuffed regardless.

As I mentioned for good reasons, why isn't anyone listening?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As I mentioned for good reasons, why isn't anyone listening?
    We are listening, but your reasons seem rather thin. OK, Infinity is not available where you are, but maybe you are in one of the areas where a reliable ADSL service is impossible above a low speed. Even at that, however, you will be within the bounds of "up to" a certain speed level (which is all most ISPs normally guarantee - not just BT), even though with long lines reliability, even at that speed, may be impossible to achieve.

Don't forget that there are some parts of the country where Broadband is still not available at all, and perhaps you are on the cusp of that situation.

You certainly seen to be cutting off your nose to spite your face in saying that, as a matter of principal, you would not change to fibre if it became available.

As I was getting up to 100 disconnections per hour, I couldn't move fast enough to rid myself of an ADSL service which couldn't give me reliable connections above about 1.7 Mbps to pay about £3 a month more to get 37Mbps running with full reliability (so far for nearly 2 years).
  • AmbassadorAmbassador Posts: 22,332
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well I tried to join BT but the offer I saw is apparantly a fault on the system and not available then the bugger on the phone hung up on me!
  • jackthomjackthom Posts: 6,621
    Forum Member
    Ambassador wrote: »
    Well I was tempted to go to BT Broadband and dump Sky...but after reading this I'm a lil wary

I was more than a bit wary going from O2 to BT Infinity but I've had a very good initial few months with zero problems so far.

At a cable run of around 500m from the cabinet we now have over five times the original download 'speed', which was a reasonably healthy 12Mbit with O2 and is now approaching 70Mbit/sec. The upload bandwidth increased by an even greater factor.

ETA: we're on the Ponteland exchange in North Umbria :)
  • VisionMan1VisionMan1 Posts: 2,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well I tried to join BT but the offer I saw is apparantly a fault on the system and not available then the bugger on the phone hung up on me!

That wasn't very good. Oh dear.

What I would do is ring them back, tell them your a Sky BB customer and you were just ringing to enquire if they could offer you any deals to tempt you away, as you've been quite happy with Sky, but you are willing to move if the price is right.

And you never know, they may offer you a discount to get your business. And if they offer you a free £5 a mth YouView box as well, rip they're right arm off.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,749
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BTs service is limited because it keeps cutting out. Try to complain and no-one can help. It's disgusting!

Have you tried changing your filters?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    VisionMan1 wrote: »
    That wasn't very good. Oh dear.

What I would do is ring them back, tell them your a Sky BB customer and you were just ringing to enquire if they could offer you any deals to tempt you away, as you've been quite happy with Sky, but you are willing to move if the price is right.

And you never know, they may offer you a discount to get your business. And if they offer you a free £5 a mth YouView box as well, rip they're right arm off.

I may try that, just the usual sales team number?

I tried it with Sky, I've had their broadband since it's launch and all I got was 'if you cancel then come back in a few months time you'll get a year half price'

Brilliant Sky!:D
  • VisionMan1VisionMan1 Posts: 2,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I may try that, just the usual sales team number?

I tried it with Sky, I've had their broadband since it's launch and all I got was 'if you cancel then come back in a few months time you'll get a year half price'

Brilliant Sky!:D

If your still interested after your initial debacle, yes, its still the normal UK sales team number. And I have to say Ambassador, fibre rocks.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    VisionMan1 wrote: »
    If your still interested after your initial debacle, yes, its still the normal UK sales team number. And I have to say Ambassador, fibre rocks.

Well, I tried and the offer was not forthcoming, logged onto various sites and it still offered the deal I was told was unavailable. Getting irritated I complained to the ASA after giving BT the chance to rectify