The Ratings Thread (Part 46)

Comments

• dan2008dan2008 Posts: 37,271
    Forum Member
    C14E wrote: »
    I confess soap ratings are not really my thing but I'm not sure what your point is? That Corrie rated badly last night but still better than Eastenders highest rating of the past week? For an EE fan that seems an unusual thing to draw attention to.
    EastEnders gets 8.1 in Feb and that's deemed as Low but then somehow it's ok for Corrie that's what i'm saying.
    However I was just being sarcastic with my comment.
  • C14EC14E Posts: 32,165
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dan2008 wrote: »
    EastEnders gets 8.1 in Feb and that's deemed as Low but then somehow it's ok for Corrie that's what i'm saying.
    However I was just being sarcastic with my comment.

Isn't Monday typically the highest rating night for the soaps? As you said, Corrie got over 9m on Monday. So one lower rating, on a traditionally lower rating night, isn't likely to cause much alarm? The monthly/yearly year on year comparisons have shown for some time now that Eastenders is falling at a faster rate than either ITV soap (with Corrie holding up better than Emmerdale, IIRC).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Any rating for 666 Park Avenue? Thanks.
  • D.M.N.D.M.N. Posts: 34,167
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Am I looking at the ratings for a February night or a June night? :confused: A bit on the low side.
  • Hassaan13Hassaan13 Posts: 41,961
    Forum Member
    D.M.N. wrote: »
    Am I looking at the ratings for a February night or a June night? :confused: A bit on the low side.

The weather was hardly brilliant yesterday, it was sunny but still cold. Wonder what drove people away in the evening.
  • centauri72centauri72 Posts: 890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

In other news, both Mayday and Broadchurch have excellent reviews in the Radio Times and it'll be fascinating to see how well they fare. Let's hope they both do well, we need as much popular drama as we can get.

Yes, but the RT also notes that the two shows are strikingly similar - both crime serials, both featuring the investigation of the death of a child, both dealing with the impact of that death on the wider local community, and both even made by the same production company, Kudos. Too similar, I suspect, for one or both not to suffer by going head to head (and probably would have lost out just for being on in the same week). Poor scheduling decisions, somewhere.

I might add that not everyone who likes crime dramas will necessarily like these, either. I am fond of "softer" crime dramas eg Poirot, Midsomer but am not at all enthused at the idea of dramas about small children suffering.
  • rivkinrivkin Posts: 400
    Forum Member
    the itv daytime show britains best bakery was far better than last nights foodshow on itv , how did ratings for britains best bakery compare to the primetime show???
  • guestofsethguestofseth Posts: 5,303
    Forum Member
    dullagj2 wrote: »
    The Lady Vanishes airs in week 12. Looks like it'll air on St. Patrick's Day (Sun 17th).

With this airing that week instead of Easter Monday as some suggested, I wonder if Jonathan Creek will air then with Easter Sunday being the launch of The White Queen. They seem reluctant to start anything on the Sundays, airing one-offs instead, so I think they're definitely saving Easter Sunday for something either JC or TWQ.

I wonder which, Mayday or Broadchurch, will suffer more from the clash, Mayday has the day headstart and is stripped so people are more likely to choose that over something they have a week to catch up on, but Broadchurch has been advertised more, it also features in the Radio Times more, and will pick up viewers who didn't like the first part of Mayday. Like a few have already said. I hope both do well and I'm looking forward to both, but given how similar they are I can't see them both being above 5m, which is what I imagine both channels would want.
  • xfactorfan27xfactorfan27 Posts: 1,237
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :eek: at the rating for Food Glorious Food, I mean yeah it was awful, but I still thought it was good for 4-5m especially for its first episode. I can only see the ratings going downwards now, given how poor the show was... The rating for Lightfields is equally disappointing, particularly given how well Marchlands performed.

What a shame that more people do not tune in to Child Of Our Time, it's a fantastic and utterly fascinating documentary.

I hope COOT can at least retain that audience tonight!
  • marxavlenmarxavlen Posts: 851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Broadcast have published a story, which all in all is pretty damning for Channel 4. Charlie Parsons, the man behind The Big Breakfast and Survivor, has said that the relationship between C4 and indies has gone sour. Here is the article in full;
    Producer airs ‘widespread concerns’ that the broadcaster’s indie relationships have gone sour

Charlie Parsons, the creator of Channel 4’s The Word and The Big Breakfast, has held talks with Lord Burns and David Abraham about “very widespread concerns” that the broadcaster is failing the indie community.

Approached by Broadcast this week, Parsons confirmed he initiated the meetings by writing to the C4 chairman. He explained: “I was so angry at what I was hearing: the way C4 is dealing with the creative community means producers don’t want to work for them. C4’s outlook is not one of collaboration, but of dictation.”

His views resulted in separate meetings with Burns and chief executive Abraham last month about the programming team, led by chief creative officer Jay Hunt.

Parsons said: “It’s very simple. I told them they have to learn how to manage creatives and work in partnership with indies.” He said he warned the duo: “The sand will blow up in your faces at some stage, and you need to address it.”

The conversations are understood to have been amicable. Abraham shared data and surveys with Parsons that countered some of his claims, and defended C4’s position, but he is understood to be happy to engage in a wider, grown-up discussion on the topic.

Parsons said common problems include a lack of clarity around programmes at the point of commission, and a “constant changing of minds” during and after production, meaning finished programmes are “entirely different to what was commissioned”.

The Survivor creator also suggested commissioners lacked the freedom to make decisions. He said: “They demand something is re-edited because that’s what they hear from the top.”
    One of the stumbling blocks is that indies feel they cannot air their concerns, and that C4 finds it impossible to respond without a clear sense of what they are, and examples of any perceived failings.
    Parsons, who no longer produces shows for C4, said: “This is not my campaign. I owe a lot to C4, it gave me all my big breaks, but I am one of the few people who can speak out. “I’m not fighting a corner for anyone but for the TV industry. I’m voicing what people are too afraid to say.”

A C4 spokeswoman said “Channel 4 is always open to engaging in debate about how we can improve our working relationships with producers, and in this spirit both Lord Burns and David Abraham met with Charlie Parsons.

As a publisher broadcaster, our relationship with the independent community is crucial to delivering our remit and getting the best possible content to our viewers. Topping the Broadcast Indie Survey poll last year was a clear demonstration of the progress being made in this area.”

Parsons acknowledged that some of the problems existed prior to the current management, but said: “It’s sad because C4 is not getting the best out of people.” He said ITV was emerging as the favoured broadcaster to take ideas to. “How did that happen? Something has gone hideously wrong.”

Falling audiences and this article (from one of the most established producers in the UK) suggest that Channel 4 are rubbing everyone up the wrong way. I'll post some C4 numbers in a minute.
  • Steve WilliamsSteve Williams Posts: 11,816
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    chrisr21 wrote: »
    I have absolutely no agenda whatsoever, and I don't see how you can come up with that from the post I made.

It was only me being whimsical, really, but I don't see how you can look at a top ten where six out of ten shows were on BBC1 and say it's BBC1 that's doing badly - on the night of the launch of a new ITV drama and entertainment format, and with that unspectacular BBC1 line-up.

I doubt many people have an agenda on this thread, but given the complaints about ITV success being ignored, it seemed pertinent to point that out. Apologies if it sounded snide.
    For Britain's Got Talent = Half a million and a spot in front 0f millions on the Royal Variety show.

For Britain's Got Pies = Twenty thousand and a spot on the back shelves at Marks and Sparks.

That's not even a new prize, is it, because there was that C5 show Breaking Into Tesco. I don't expect that planned Cowell Saturday night variety show, if it ever happens, to be all that. It sounds like the kind of bog standard LE format that in-house development departments come up with every five minutes.
  • BrekkieBrekkie Posts: 23,984
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not the first time I've read something like that regarding C4. It seems everyone except C4 realise what a disaster the current management are - and not only have they lost viewers they've alienated advertisers, producers and talent too.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 87,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Big Brother Canada started last night on Slice channel. I've had a google but I can't find any Canadian ratings. Can any of the ratings experts help please?
  • F1KenF1Ken Posts: 4,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was only me being whimsical, really, but I don't see how you can look at a top ten where six out of ten shows were on BBC1 and say it's BBC1 that's doing badly - on the night of the launch of a new ITV drama and entertainment format, and with that unspectacular BBC1 line-up.

When I see that It just saddens me really. ITV launch 2 new shows. Against BBC One's worst night and ITV still don't really manage any thing. Wednesdays are an open goal for ITV and there still putting it over the bar. It's not the channel it was. the ITV I worked for and loved would have dominated last night.

Shame they just can't get a really major drama to even get 4m any more.

By the way COOT did very well for what it is last night. Could do better tonight. As others have said it's a fascinating program.

Ken
  • marxavlenmarxavlen Posts: 851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    These are the daytime figures from Monday to Wednesday this week;

What's Cooking

Mon - 210k (2.6%)
    Tues - 138k (1.8%)
    Wed - 107k (1.6%)

Place in the Sun

Mon - 337k (4.4%)
    Tues - 279k (3.8%)
    Wed - 212k (3.4%)

Countdown

Mon - 513k (6.6%)
    Tues - 493k (6.8%)
    Wed - 393k (6.4%)

Common Denominator

Mon - 381k (4.4%)
    Tues - 486k (5.6%)
    Wed - 335k (4.6%)

Deal or No Deal

Mon - 1.10m (9.7%)
    Tues - 823k (7.5%)
    Wed - 878k (9.0%)
    • What's Cooking is in danger of being dropped very quickly. Miles below the slot average, and despite having Place in the Sun after it, the whole slot is down.
    • Countdown's share is good, but the audience has dropped d-o-d.
    • Common Denominator was quite flat last week, and it looks like it will hover about the 340k mark. Tuesday's rating looks like a pure fluke.
    • Whilst DOND started the week well, the audience is down. That rating is the first time in a while it has got over 1.1m, but a sharp fall the next day brought it back down to the ground.
    The evidence is stacking up against C4. Something has to be done, and done very quickly!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Big Brother Canada started last night on Slice channel. I've had a google but I can't find any Canadian ratings. Can any of the ratings experts help please?
    Doesn't seem to be an obvious place for Canadian ratings. I've had a look back through the archives to the last time we took some interest (the Vancouver Olympics) and all the sources then were standard news sites.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jda135 wrote: »

What's Cooking

Mon - 210k (2.6%)
    Tues - 138k (1.8%)
    Wed - 107k (1.6%)

Place in the Sun

Mon - 337k (4.4%)
    Tues - 279k (3.8%)
    Wed - 212k (3.4%)

Countdown

Mon - 513k (6.6%)
    Tues - 493k (6.8%)
    Wed - 393k (6.4%)

Common Denominator

Mon - 381k (4.4%)
    Tues - 486k (5.6%)
    Wed - 335k (4.6%)

Deal or No Deal

Mon - 1.10m (9.7%)
    Tues - 823k (7.5%)
    Wed - 878k (9.0%)
    • What's Cooking is in danger of being dropped very quickly. Miles below the slot average, and despite having Place in the Sun after it, the whole slot is down.
    • Common Denominator was quite flat last week, and it looks like it will hover about the 340k mark. Tuesday's rating looks like a pure fluke.
    • Whilst DOND started the week well, the audience is down. That rating is the first time in a while it has got over 1.1m, but a sharp fall the next day brought it back down to the ground.
    The evidence is stacking up against C4. Something has to be done, and done very quickly!

This is another thing that annoys me. No doubt C4 will say it's down to BBC One pinching there audience. But it most certainly isnt. BBC One's daytime is pretty bog standard so it's unacceptable for C4 to be rating like that really. The Channel I think has big problems now.

Something down the line has gone really badly wrong.

Ken
  • tommygrimshaw25tommygrimshaw25 Posts: 180
    Forum Member
    Hi,

Does anyone have the overnight ratings for Tuesday (26th) or has there been a delay with them or something, seeing as DS have not posted them and only a handful of programmes' ratings have been posted on here...?

Many thanks and much love!
    ^_^
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jda135 wrote: »

What's Cooking

Mon - 210k (2.6%)
    Tues - 138k (1.8%)
    Wed - 107k (1.6%)

Place in the Sun

Mon - 337k (4.4%)
    Tues - 279k (3.8%)
    Wed - 212k (3.4%)

Countdown

Mon - 513k (6.6%)
    Tues - 493k (6.8%)
    Wed - 393k (6.4%)

Common Denominator

Mon - 381k (4.4%)
    Tues - 486k (5.6%)
    Wed - 335k (4.6%)

Deal or No Deal

Mon - 1.10m (9.7%)
    Tues - 823k (7.5%)
    Wed - 878k (9.0%)

Doesn't make great reading. What's Cooking though is advertiser funded so however badly it does I guess it's basically free to C4, so they won't lose on it.

The sad thing now is there isn't really a part of C4's schedule you can look at and think they're doing well there - everywhere needs looking at. It seems strange now to consider all the talk a year or so ago about Hollyoaks heading for the axe - it's probably one of C4's most stable programmes a year on, despite ratings not really rising that significantly.

Daytime has become a whole new battlefield though now thanks mainly to daytime PSB commitments being dropped over the years, so now instead of finding shows for 3-6pm C4 have to fill the schedules from 9am to 6pm, and the same with BBC1 and ITV as well.

Unlike some I wouldn't be axing Countdown or Deal any time soon - indeed I'd use them to help build a new schedule with shows which in time may be worthy of replacing them, and cut the commission of both shows down in order to give new shows the chance to breathe. I do think though maybe C4 now need to aim a bit younger certainly in the later part of daytime, and perhaps bring something new to daytime TV.

I think it would be worth trying out a new daily live show at 5pm which would kind of do for daytime chat shows what The Big Breakfast did for breakfast TV and try and build the 5-7pm as a strong young skewing block. If they want to take on Pointless and The Chase they do have to offer a genuine alternative and make a fairly bold move in doing so.
  • NeilVWNeilVW Posts: 8,635
    Forum Member
    ITV boosted by new shows
    Takeover talk downplayed as revenue and profits rise in spite of BBC's Olympics and Jubilee boost
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2013/feb/27/itv-boosted-by-new-shows

"Long-running ITV talent shows such as The X Factor and Dancing On Ice are not the force they once were, but the broadcaster has seen its slate of drama productions echo the ratings and critical successes of former years, sparked by Julian Fellowes' Downton Abbey."

Hmmm.. :rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NeilVW wrote: »
    "Long-running ITV talent shows such as The X Factor and Dancing On Ice are not the force they once were, but the broadcaster has seen its slate of drama productions echo the ratings and critical successes of former years, sparked by Julian Fellowes' Downton Abbey."

Hmmm.. :rolleyes:

I'll +1 that. Okay they used to show some awful drama. But I'd still say it's poor. Look at the 70s,80s and the 90's that's when they were strong.

BBC One really are very strong in the drama are now. This year thanks to the last few years they have a lot more returning dramas and they also have alot of new stuff.

BBC One would struggle if it wasn't for it's drama. It's shaky on comedy so is ITV and it's really shaky on LE, less so ITV I would say. Factual they are good at and ITV are quite good at as well now.

I wonder how Mastechef will fair now. Looks like it has got an easy ride now on Wednesday and of course Tuesday.

Ken
  • nick202nick202 Posts: 9,919
    Forum Member
    Although I enjoyed it, I think the problem with Lightfields is the transferal of the Marchlands concept onto a new unrelated set of characters - it's the same basic template just with different faces, and therefore doesn't really have anything substantially new to offer the audience.
  • Steve WilliamsSteve Williams Posts: 11,816
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    F1Ken wrote: »
    This is another thing that annoys me. No doubt C4 will say it's down to BBC One pinching there audience. But it most certainly isnt. BBC One's daytime is pretty bog standard so it's unacceptable for C4 to be rating like that really. The Channel I think has big problems now.

And they can't blame BBC1 for most of it because it's only between 3pm and 5pm where BBC1 are now showing adult daytime fare where they previously weren't, whereas C4 are perfoming poorly all day, and any gains are surely mitigated by BBC2 dropping. I think the big problem with C4 daytime is that there's nothing you can't see on a million other channels.
  • rr22rr22 Posts: 7,618
    Forum Member
    Any real logic or reason for mayday (bbc one sunday - thursday at 9pm) to go right up against broadchurch (itv monday at 9pm) they are both on similar themes so why have they been held off to be pitched against one another. Surely neither will see a triumphant ratings win as they offer the audience the same drama. Likewise rushing the paradise to screen before seldridge. Some originality is needed and scheduling thought.
  • AdsAds Posts: 37,037
    Forum Member
This discussion has been closed.