Personal information on The Sun website security breached

epm-84epm-84 Posts: 3,035
Forum Member
✭✭✭
The Sun has sent the following email to anyone registered on their website:

Dear Reader,

I am writing to you on behalf of News Group Newspapers (NGN) – publisher of The Sun and former publisher of the News of the World.

As you may be aware on July 19th The Sun website was subject to an organised criminal attack. It has now come to our attention that some customer information from competitions and polls was breached as part of this attack. Details vary, but could include name, address, date of birth, email and phone numbers. No financial or password information was compromised.

We are contacting you because we believe that information that you submitted to us could have been accessed, and may be published online by the group responsible. We are working closely with the Police and the Information Commissioner's Office to ensure that all steps are taken to retrieve the files involved.

We regret that we've not been able to stop this incident from happening. We'll update you directly if there are further developments related to your specific data. We would advise as a precaution to take extra care when dealing with contact from third parties if they are unknown to you.

In the meantime if you have any questions or require any further information, please contact us at custserv@thesun.co.uk or on 0207 8601129.

Regards,
Chris Duncan
Director of Customer Management

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,223
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I got mine today... I was trying to figure what the heck they had, but I'm glad you say it's just for registered website users, though why I gave my address; I don't know.
  • JulesandSandJulesandSand Posts: 6,012
    Forum Member
    Didn't the details include those of people who had entered competitions on the Sun website, which included addresses?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,223
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have no recollection of entering Sun/N.o.W competitions, especially the latter as I've never bought it, but maybe some competition I might have entered might have been distantly affiliated with these papers?
    Forum Member
    No doubt your personal details were put on some NI database without your knowledge or consent.

I always tick the privacy boxes on websites but I've noted one or two lately that state something like 'by clicking the link you agree to us using your details etc...'

I never click those links.
  • RuthStarRuthStar Posts: 5,729
    Forum Member
    I got a letter today about this, I really don't recall giving them my address/name but then again, I may have stupidly entered it in the vain hopes of winning something on a competition.

Its nothing to be worried about is it? cause i got a lecture of my parents over it this morning.
    Forum Member
    RuthStar wrote: »
    I got a letter today about this, I really don't recall giving them my address/name but then again, I may have stupidly entered it in the vain hopes of winning something on a competition.

Its nothing to be worried about is it? cause i got a lecture of my parents over it this morning.

I wouldn't have thought so - it's nothing compared to the Sony PSN breach which contained credit card details.