"John Hurt teases Doctor Who 50th role" (SPOILER)

2»

Comments

• plateletplatelet Posts: 26,361
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cat666 wrote: »
    I prefered the RTD "soap opera" series to the Moffs era. Moff can be very very clever but he tries too hard at times which is detrimental to the show (The Wedding Of River Song).

I'm in the "never happy camp".

The relationship/love story nonesense from RTD's era drove me nuts and I was glad of the change. Moff's clever for the sake of it episodes I really like however now he seems to have bowed to the pressure to simplify it I'd rather go back to RTD.

Anyway, back to topic:

I can't see the valeyard being in the 50th, I would instead suggest it will be the Docs 47th reincarnation introduced with a throw away line about how nice it is that the limit died with Gallifrey or somesuch
  • performingmonkperformingmonk Posts: 20,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm thinking that he's ALL Doctors rolled into one.
  • ukgnomeukgnome Posts: 541
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Could in be that he is actually the other?:eek:

nah, probably not! :D
  • CAMERA OBSCURACAMERA OBSCURA Posts: 8,002
    Forum Member

Like a Timelord Chaka Khan.
  • JohnnyForgetJohnnyForget Posts: 24,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ukgnome wrote: »
    Could in be that he is actually the other?:eek:

nah, probably not! :D

A nice idea, but I don't think that anyone involved in New Who is going to touch anything to do with the Cartmel Masterplan with a bargepole.
  • November_RainNovember_Rain Posts: 9,145
    Forum Member
    But it's a sci-fi show for goodness sake!
    I think it can still be sci-fi without being convoluted (I'm not going to say complicated, because complicated can often be good- Mawdryn Undead for example- and anyway, I didn't find any episodes of NewWho very complicated). It just needs to be done well.
    And then again, the general public love shows like XFactor, Britain's Got Talent and The Only Way is Essex, all of which I would consider abominations and insults to my intelligence. The general public love things they don't have to think much about, but Doctor Who should be intelligent and clever- not something which is designed to appeal to the masses. Obviously, it should try to be clever and appeal to the masses, but not to the extent that the stories become too simple or, dare I say it, dumbed down.

Look at Sherlock- It has been immensely popular whilst being complex and clever at the same time. I think the 50th should aim to be something like that.

You took my thoughts (well, the gist of them anyway) and worded them so much better than I ever could. :D

There needs to be that middle ground between turning the series into a geekfest that won't appeal to the mass audience and turning it into a soap opera with a fantasy background.
  • November_RainNovember_Rain Posts: 9,145
    Forum Member

I like that idea. A nice way to acknowledge every Doctor properly without too much padding. :)
  • ShoppyShoppy Posts: 1,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Just scanned through all the various responses and this is probably where I'm going to place my bet...

I'm thinking Hurt, whose costume seems to be an amalgam of past Doctors, may be...

"A distillation of the Doctor's LIGHT side"

... ie the Valeyard's equal and opposite.

I was initially sceptical about the beard as they tend to be more the Master's thing but there is a certain "Grandfatherly" look to Hurt's character.

Compare him to Toby Jones' Dreamlord who is basically a representation of the part of the Doctor that produces the Valeyard ....

Both have an appearance that references the Doctor's costume, but they seem to divide the traits between them, with Hurt looking to have the charismatic shabbiness that is part of the warmth of the Doctor whereas the DL is more of a rigid, uncomfortable representation with a much colder feel.

So I'm conidering that this "trinity" that features may not be 11/10/Hurt but may actually be "11/Hurt/Valeyard" with 10 there for assistance?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,152
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone else notice Hurt's leather jacket? I think the rumours about him being an alternate 9 are pretty plausible.
  • ShoppyShoppy Posts: 1,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone else notice Hurt's leather jacket? I think the rumours about him being an alternate 9 are pretty plausible.

So does that mean Ingrid Oliver is playing an alternate 4th Doctor? :rolleyes:
  • Shawn_LunnShawn_Lunn Posts: 9,353
    Forum Member

That would be the sort of bonkers thing that Moffat would attempt.:eek:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 21
    Forum Member
    This is like reading 2 different threads.... someone take the SciFi/Viewing figures debate to a seperate thread!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,152
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shoppy wrote: »
    So does that mean Ingrid Oliver is playing an alternate 4th Doctor? :rolleyes:

Ha yeah, I know what you mean :p I'm usually the last to start speculating ideas based on tiny and insignificant details, but it fits in with what some sources have been saying.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 72
    Forum Member
    I wish people on here would stop beating about the bush and stop sticking up for Nu Who and Moffat, the last several episodes have been utter crap and Moff will do the same thing with the 50th.This Nerd should never have been put in charge. The one thing about Doctor Who these days is that it's constantly dissapionting.
  • sebbie3000sebbie3000 Posts: 5,188
    Forum Member
    Mulett wrote: »
    The issue is that the amount of people watching live is going down - under 5m per episode. But the general feeling in the viewing figures thread is that this doesn't matter, as long as the final viewing figures remain good, so hopefully they are right!

But the figures for live watching are going down across the board. There's no need to single out DW for special worry, as it is the same for all television. As has been pointed out time and time again, even the soaps have dramatically fewer overnights compared to 5 years ago. I'm not sure why people keep ignoring the facts!

I'm pretty sure those who count understand these figures, so it doesn't matter that quite a few out here don't.
  • sebbie3000sebbie3000 Posts: 5,188
    Forum Member
    D.j. wrote: »
    I wish people on here would stop beating about the bush and stop sticking up for Nu Who and Moffat, the last several episodes have been utter crap and Moff will do the same thing with the 50th.This Nerd should never have been put in charge. The one thing about Doctor Who these days is that it's constantly dissapionting.

Hmm... :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Could it be, shock horror, that other people might not agree with you? And that, heaven forfend, others actually like the show right now? :eek::rolleyes:

Don't be so arrogant with your opinions. You speak only for yourself. Certainly not speaking for me, anyway.
  • saladfingers81saladfingers81 Posts: 11,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Just to check with the free speech brigade...do we have to take this sort of insulting and derogatory post seriously and treat it with solemn respect or are we allowed to challenge it without being called a 'clique'.

Oh look. He called Moffat a nerd! Well that's settled then. Sack him.
    Forum Member

There's a difference between opinions and facts.

You know that, right?
  • saladfingers81saladfingers81 Posts: 11,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In other news...I watched a football match last night. It was far too footballey and I am writing to the FA to ask why.
  • performingmonkperformingmonk Posts: 20,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do find it amusing that people who would slag off RTD till the cows came home will still stick up for Moffat, when the show is nowhere near as good as it was with the former in charge! Moffat was at his best when writing an episode a year during RTD's tenure.
    Forum Member
    I do find it amusing that people who would slag off RTD till the cows came home will still stick up for Moffat, when the show is nowhere near as good as it was with the former in charge! Moffat was at his best when writing an episode a year during RTD's tenure.

I actually liked both RTD and Moffat's era as I bet many do. Both have their strengths and some weaknesses but both have been extremely watchable as well.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 618
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cat666 wrote: »
    Chris was obviously asked and being unable to put past differences aside for the sake of the fans it left the production team and writers no choice but to re-write the role.

Do you actually have a source for that statement?

For all we know Chris may simply have been unable to commit to the special because of his schedule, and he has always been fantastic with the fans.

As for having to rewrite the the role, Johns part may well have still been in the show even if Chris had been included as there is no evidence to show the two roles are mutually exclusive.