US Copyright Office approves phone jailbreaking

darkjedimasterdarkjedimaster Posts: 18,620
Forum Member
✭✭
The US Copyright Office has published the latest exceptions to the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA) and it's good news for phone jailbreakers and video remixers, who are now legal – well, until 2015, at least.

The terms of DMCA lockdowns are reviewed every three years, and the Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF) is claiming victory after it successfully petitioned for exemptions in the current round of changes.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/10/27/copyright_office_dcma_exemptions/

Great news for customers who don't want to be held to Apples lame controlling restrictions....Not so good news for Apple. :D:D:D

Comments

• kidspudkidspud Posts: 18,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The US Copyright Office has published the latest exceptions to the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA) and it's good news for phone jailbreakers and video remixers, who are now legal – well, until 2015, at least.

The terms of DMCA lockdowns are reviewed every three years, and the Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF) is claiming victory after it successfully petitioned for exemptions in the current round of changes.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/10/27/copyright_office_dcma_exemptions/

Great news for customers who don't want to be held to Apples lame controlling restrictions....Not so good news for Apple. :D:D:D

Why do people jailbreak? What benefit does it bring?
  • whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kidspud wrote: »

Customising the OS.
  • darkjedimasterdarkjedimaster Posts: 18,620
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Applications that Apple don't provide on Itunes, there are many developers out there that have had their software refused by Apple, but can be played on a Jailbroken device as the software is legally available on various sites.

Jailbreaking also allows you to customize themes & ringtones at a touch of a button. Without Jailbreaking you are limited to what you can customize.

You can also Bluetooth to any bluetooth compatible phone, without the need of any extra apps.

You can also drag n drop through windows without the need of the spawn of Satan that is known as Itunes.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Customising the OS.

I assume (from these forums) is that there is no reason to do it on Android as I can't imagine there is anything more that needs doing that can't be done with the stock OS.

And I can't think what I would need to do extra on iOS (my wifes ipad) but then I don't use it that much.
  • Everything GoesEverything Goes Posts: 12,972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Apple will be raging :D
  • tealadytealady Posts: 26,262
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I assume (from these forums) is that there is no reason to do it on Android as I can't imagine there is anything more that needs doing that can't be done with the stock OS.
    If you take rooting as an equivalent to jailbreak (and you might not), there are plenty of useful apps in the market that only work if you are rooted eg backups that allow data as well as apps.
    My htc desire has been given a new lease of life due to a combo of cm7 and simple2ext.
  • swordmanswordman Posts: 6,679
    Forum Member
    Rooting is another level beyond jailbreaking though not really comparable, jailbreaking on the whole just gives you control over your device that is already available on a droid.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Apple will be raging :D

What difference does it make to Apple. You have bought the phone off them so they get money. The only issue is if people started to illegally downloaded apps.

I also assume Apple will not need to support the phone so that will save them a bit of money.
    Forum Member
    What difference does it make to Apple. You have bought the phone off them so they get money. The only issue is if people started to illegally downloaded apps.

I also assume Apple will not need to support the phone so that will save them a bit of money.

The you should look up things apple have done in the past to those phones that have been jailbroken. Apple still consider the phone to be theirs even after you have purchased it and have actively sought out jailbroken devices.
  • Everything GoesEverything Goes Posts: 12,972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Apple are control freaks. They keep trying to close vulnerabilities that allow people to jailbreak their phones. Apple make money by all these restrictions.

Music is a good example..

When you make a purchase for a song on iTunes, you aren’t actually buying the music, but rather you’re buying the right to listen to that music, which Apple calls a nontransferable license. Apple may give you a digital copy of those songs, but the legalese states that you still don’t actually own it.
    Forum Member
    I believe they have or are seeking patents to disable these phones

http://mashable.com/2010/08/22/apple-jailbreaking-patent/

Any one who thinks that they have bought their iphone so its theirs know little about how apple operate.
  • Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is good news... but also old news. It's not the first time that Jailbreaking has been given the OK in the US, as the US Copyright Office ruled the same back in 2010.

http://techcrunch.com/2010/07/26/now-legal-in-the-u-s-jailbreaking-your-iphone-ripping-a-dvd-for-educational-purposes/

Still, it's good that the ruling has been renewed :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    swordman wrote: »
    The you should look up things apple have done in the past to those phones that have been jailbroken. Apple still consider the phone to be theirs even after you have purchased it and have actively sought out jailbroken devices.
    Apple are control freaks. They keep trying to close vulnerabilities that allow people to jailbreak their phones. Apple make money by all these restrictions.

I would expect Apple to try and control it. They want you to have the product they provide. I assume if you jailbreak the phone you have decided to remove yourself from their control and therefore wouldn't then want to connect to there systems (software updates, app store, itunes, etc).
  • m4tt24m4tt24 Posts: 843
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They shouldn't be so anti extra development. In the dev community there are some very enthusiastic and intelligent people with a lot of knowledge when it comes to the OS's. Embracing a little helps the companies out too and helps with RnD. Best of all its free RnD.

One of the first unofficial roms out for the S3 was built by a 15yr old, Samsung gave S2's to some developers when they where released knowing they would be rooted and tweaked, to some extent improved and with the S2 the best roms where unofficial, The unofficial devs where miles ahead. Not so much with the S3 in my opinion but I wonder how much help Samsung have had through the dev community probably without the dev community being aware or caring. Even with the leaks of JB they leaked everyone found bugs and complained on dev sites most of the bugs where ironed out for final release. Everyone ended up with a decent solid rom.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When you make a purchase for a song on iTunes, you aren’t actually buying the music, but rather you’re buying the right to listen to that music, which Apple calls a nontransferable license. Apple may give you a digital copy of those songs, but the legalese states that you still don’t actually own it.

Bad example.

This is the case with all IP. Not just Apple and not just Music. Its the case with software, games, music, books.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rooting is another level beyond jailbreaking though not really comparable, jailbreaking on the whole just gives you control over your device that is already available on a droid.
    Now that I didn't realise, if I were not already unconvinced about apple, I would be unconvinced now.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would expect Apple to try and control it. They want you to have the product they provide. I assume if you jailbreak the phone you have decided to remove yourself from their control and therefore wouldn't then want to connect to there systems (software updates, app store, itunes, etc).
    Why would you think that???
    Take something such a pvr, there are many hacks and updates to these on digifusion (as was), humax, topfield that people do to make it work better but that doesn't mean if any of the companies rolled out an update, you wouldn't want it or consider yourself removed from their control.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tealady wrote: »
    Now that I didn't realise, if I were not already unconvinced about apple, I would be unconvinced now.

That makes no sense. You can jailbreak an iphone just like you can jailbreak an Android phone. I don't know but I'm willing to bet any manufacturer would not honour a warranty on a jailbroken phone.
    Forum Member

Changed your view from #9 now have you.

However you wouldn't expect them to try and break your phone though would you, actually you may think that ok too ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That makes no sense. You can jailbreak an iphone just like you can jailbreak an Android phone. I don't know but I'm willing to bet any manufacturer would not honour a warranty on a jailbroken phone.
    I thought swordman's point was the 2 are not equivalent and that jailbreak = normal android os. Whereas rooting is another level.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tealady wrote: »
    Why would you think that???
    Take something such a pvr, there are many hacks and updates to these on digifusion (as was), humax, topfield that people do to make it work better but that doesn't mean if any of the companies rolled out an update, you wouldn't want it or consider yourself removed from their control.

If you then did the company update, I would expect them to remove the 'updates' you have applied, or not provide you with the update on the basis that the software could be unstable and would not have been tested.
    Forum Member
    Unlike android users who root though apple treat those who jailbreak as pariahs.

They actually seek out any support for this community and try and break such support.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Changed your view from #9 now have you.

However you wouldn't expect them to try and break your phone though would you, actually you may think that ok too ;)

No, I haven't changed my view. I know we don't like using the car analogy but i see it the same as if I bought a new car and then (for example) modded the ECU, fitting a new air filter, changed the stereo.

If I then asked them to do work under warranty I would expect them to tell me to go away.

However, I don't expect them to stop me from doing it as I own the car. Why do you think I've changed my view.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you then did the company update, I would expect them to remove the 'updates' you have applied, or not provide you with the update on the basis that the software could be unstable and would not have been tested.
    Yes the update usually overwrote the existing firmware, but that didn't stop you reverting or modifying the new upgrade.
    If you want to be stuck with what your are given, then Ok. But we have rather different ideas about devices and user control.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, I haven't changed my view. I know we don't like using the car analogy but i see it the same as if I bought a new car and then (for example) modded the ECU, fitting a new air filter, changed the stereo.

If I then asked them to do work under warranty I would expect them to tell me to go away.

However, I don't expect them to stop me from doing it as I own the car. Why do you think I've changed my view.

But you buy the hardware, its yours. Why shouldn't you be allowed to put your own software on it? Like many PVRs, NASs or PCs?

Its only Apple who are tossers about this.