Anne Hathaway - Too successful now, let's knock her down

2»

Comments

• lexi22lexi22 Posts: 16,394
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    shelleyj89 wrote: »
    I don't understand why some have a dislike for her. If they don't rate her as an actress, fair enough, but as a person she seems pretty unoffensive to me. I see nobody had any problem with Daniel Day-Lewis rabbiting on during his speach on Sunday, but when Anne does there's a problem?

People can say she was always going to win, but as both Hugh Jackman and Russell Crowe have said, when you win one, and the next one, and the next one, there's that pressure to keep on winning. I imagine she was quite nervous all along during the award season, especially as being in Les Mis was a childhood dream of hers after seeing her mum in it when she was younger.

100% that. It was a big deal and I think she just let the pressure get to her a bit and was threading that fine line between trying to stay calm and relaxed and yet knowing the Oscar was a solid possibility, which accounts for her, at times, rather theatrical and OTT approach to campaigning.

I reckon she'll be fine now it's all over and done with and will get back to normal.
  • shelleyj89shelleyj89 Posts: 16,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lexi22 wrote: »
    100% that. It was a big deal and I think she just let the pressure get to her a bit and was threading that fine line between trying to stay calm and relaxed and yet knowing the Oscar was a solid possibility, which accounts for her, at times, rather theatrical and OTT approach to campaigning.

I reckon she'll be fine now it's all over and done with and will get back to normal.

Agreed. I think her reactions were just a mixture of nerves, relief and then joy. Also, she's carried the film on her own an such with regards to award wins, aside from at the Golden Globes, so I imagine that added more pressure. If she didn't win, than the film would barely have been recognised.
  • ViridianaViridiana Posts: 8,017
    Forum Member
    Do not like her at all as an actress. I find her totally uninteresting.
  • Alpo.Alpo. Posts: 745
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    shes came along way from singing 2Pac in some wigger movie
    http://youtu.be/8bgreKmN6C4

credit to her but theres something about her that is annoying.
    i preferred Jaoquin Phoenix reaction to the whole thing..was hilarious, looked in utter disgust at the whole thing.
  • OsusanaOsusana Posts: 7,461
    Forum Member
    I prefer her with longer hair and the dress at the Oscars was awful - totally the wrong colour for her skin tone. She would have wowed everyone if she had worn a rich sapphire blue or other jewel colour.
    As an actress she is fine - no problems with her. She seems to be quite fun
  • thefairydandythefairydandy Posts: 3,235
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To be fair, I disliked her before she was super-famous. Her version of events when she split from her fiance when he was arrested for fraud did it for me.

She came out with some guff about him not appreciating some dead flowers and that's why she left him - nothing to do with the fraud and entirely coincidental.

I would not like someone who'd actually think that about dead flowers, or someone who'd give such a stupid lie if they were covering up their involvement with fraud.

I don't actively 'hate on' her, I just find her annoying.
  • spaniel-loverspaniel-lover Posts: 4,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wasn't keen on her Oscars dress.
  • Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,290
    Forum Member
    credit to her but theres something about her that is annoying.

She's a nice girl and a fine actress, but that something you refer to is basically the Sally Field mentality. Anne Hathaway always comes across as a little too eager to please. She REALLY wants people to like her. The fact she has gigantic "Disney eyes" makes it even more pronounced.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,287
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've seen her in many interviews on US Talk shows and also hosting SNL and she's only too keen to poke fun at herself and genuinely doesn't take herself too seriously which, for me, makes her very likeable.

And that's without taking her clothes off in most of the films she does as well ;)

She doesn't need to keep taking her kit off. She's talented.

I don't know why she comes in for so much stick either. I can only assume it's because people are getting fed up with her (being talented and winning so many awards). It's very predictable. I wish her continued success (but to keep her clothes ON!)
  • mirandawebmirandaweb Posts: 3,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think she's great. She's a really talented actress. She can do comedy really well too - and that's not easy. If anything, it's harder than the serious stuff she won the awards for.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,287
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mirandaweb wrote: »
    I think she's great. She's a really talented actress. She can do comedy really well too - and that's not easy. If anything, it's harder than the serious stuff she won the awards for.

Her acting was really great in Les Miserables and she can sing too. I'm not surprised she's been well rewarded (and awarded) for it.
  • Pob-BundyPob-Bundy Posts: 1,321
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She's gawky but that's what's endearing about her, I did wonder about her being cast as Catwoman but she was good enough.
  • Simone17Simone17 Posts: 944
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    katkim wrote: »
    I like Anne Hathaway, but she was annoying during the award seasons. She just came across as so frantic and desperate, even though she was a shoo in to win every gong going. I just wanted to sit her down and tell her to relax and enjoy it. Hopefully she goes back to being quirky and adorable now that it's all over rather than awardzilla.

I think that pretty much sums up how I have felt about her recently.
  • Saltydog1955Saltydog1955 Posts: 4,134
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She really is hated by some for not being 'humble' enough it seems.
    As she made the rounds of awards shows this year her speeches appeared too practised, complained naysayers.

With each victory she seemed to struggle harder to feign humility.

Her gushing Golden Globes speech, which many critics viewed as coldly calculated faux-surprise, inspired a tsunami of online hate: 19,685 tweets per minute.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/showbiz/381314/Why-is-Anne-Hathaway-the-most-hated-star-in-Hollywood
  • JustArunJustArun Posts: 8,941
    Forum Member
    I think she's brilliant and deserves that award. She is by far one of the best actresses of this era, I particularly enjoyed her performance as Catwoman. She really surprised me with how well she played Selina Kyle, she's brilliant. I don't think she's annoying at all, at the moment it seems that if a woman was loud or bubbly she would be hated upon.
  • Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,290
    Forum Member
    As a loyal subject of Genovia, I will always support her.
  • ChipDouglas82ChipDouglas82 Posts: 6,700
    Forum Member
    downtonfan wrote: »
    That seems to the attitude towards her these days. A very talented girl can't enjoy her success without some cynical people saying she is unlikeable.

I was quite sad to hear some of the crowds outside the Baftas had booed Anne when she was walking the red carpet.

I say enjoy your success and congrats on the award. Richly deserved.

That seems to be the attitude towards any woman who is talented, not just Anne Hathaway.

She certainly isn't the first and won't be the last.
  • MurraymarMurraymar Posts: 4,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not a fan. Used to be but her campaigning for the Oscar was cringeworthy.
  • GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,177
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    She's both talented and lovely. I'm a fan.
  • whatever54whatever54 Posts: 6,456
    Forum Member
    always felt a bit indifferent about her really but when I read things like this I think what a t*at, get over it and just wear the dress. I know it's a big thing for these celebs but seems really silly, I wonder how similar the dresses even were
    http://dlisted.com/2013/03/02/anne-hathaway-freaked-out-over-amanda-seyfrieds-oscar-dress
  • Saltydog1955Saltydog1955 Posts: 4,134
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    whatever54 wrote: »
    always felt a bit indifferent about her really but when I read things like this I think what a t*at, get over it and just wear the dress. I know it's a big thing for these celebs but seems really silly, I wonder how similar the dresses even were
    http://dlisted.com/2013/03/02/anne-hathaway-freaked-out-over-amanda-seyfrieds-oscar-dress

Similar, but not that similar....scroll down to compare.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2286820/How-Anne-Hathaway-threw-fit-discovered-Amanda-Seyfrieds-Oscars-gown-similar-planned-wear.html
  • whatever54whatever54 Posts: 6,456
    Forum Member

thanks, sorry I was being lazy, I think they are significantly different- similar colour, she can have that but otherwise:confused:
    I don't think they were rivals in an award were they so really not getting the big thing over her change at last minute, just wear the original dress it was no big deal until you made it one
  • AdelaideGirlAdelaideGirl Posts: 3,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Actually to be fair to Ann - while to the normal human beings they only look somewhat similar to the magazines and the Fashion Police there would have been trouble and the story would have continued on and on and it would have been a big deal.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 66
    Forum Member
    I love her as an actress and think she plays anything she is tasked with to greatness.
    BUT...I don't quite know what it is, I just can't take to her as a person. I really wish I could love her real life persona as much as her movie ones but there is something so false and 'off' with her that I just can't!
  • AdelaideGirlAdelaideGirl Posts: 3,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I suspect she's very shy or unconfident and puts on a character to give her more confidence for press and appearances.