Has Frankie Boyle gone TOO far now?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How so? My boyfriend lives in South Korea and I'm off out there in April. Do tell us something we don't know.

The Queen and Kate Middleton are just people like the rest of us. The fact that people apply a different standard of protection to them suggests an irrational view of them. It is a view of subordination and worship. We have seen time and time again how hysterical the public can be when it comes to the Royal Family. Just look at Kate's tits saga. Why is there a different standard? Why are they worthy of greater protection? It's because to some, they are above everyone else. It's the same sort of leader worship we see in dictatorships. Not that the Royal Family are dictators, of course they aren't, but the mass hysterical worship of them is similar.
  • Olls~Olls~ Posts: 3,587
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't pay £1.50 to see him tbh. :cool:

You couldn't pay me!
    Freeman000 wrote: »
    The question that people need to ask themselves is this - if I were to apply Frankie's jokes on Kate Middleton to an ordinary celebrity, would I consider them to be equally offensive and equally objectionable? If the answer is no, then you are an absolute gobshite. Sorry for my bluntness, and to remind anyone who may object to my branding of 'gobshite', I have not directed it at any forum member - rather I have directed it on a theoretical assumption that it might apply to a reader. Seriously, people need to stop with this ludicrous and childish obsession with the Royal Family. They're just ****ing people. Worship them if you like, but don't expect others to treat them differently.

I don't find him funny... I find him offensive, so yes is the answer!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Olls~ wrote: »

I don't find him funny... I find him offensive, so yes is the answer!

Then you must have a very low threshold for offence. Which is fine, but you must understand that others are not offended by him and that he has a right to communicate his material to his fans.
  • RoryWatchesTVRoryWatchesTV Posts: 116
    Forum Member
    I thought it was hilarious myself...monarchists just need to get a sense of humour and realise it's not 1527 and they can't hang us all for treason if we don't worship the monarch as some kind of demi-god.

basically his critics need to get over themselves, it's called comedy for a reason, the royals are fair game as well, not like they do anything other than scrounge of the taxpayers.
  • i4ui4u Posts: 54,751
    Forum Member
    shows like Big Fat Gypsy Wedding.

just designed to make fun a group of people for entertainment, I find it wholly distasteful and im rather disgusted that shows like that are even made.

You were saying?

Basically critics of the programme need to get over themselves, it's called entertainment for a reason. :p
  • tysonstormtysonstorm Posts: 24,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love his jokes, I really can't see the problem.

I find the existence of the Royal Family and the sycophancy towards them by the GBP to be more offensive and in bad taste.
    Forum Member
    The Queen and Kate Middleton are just people like the rest of us. The fact that people apply a different standard of protection to them suggests an irrational view of them. It is a view of subordination and worship. We have seen time and time again how hysterical the public can be when it comes to the Royal Family. Just look at Kate's tits saga. Why is there a different standard? Why are they worthy of greater protection? It's because to some, they are above everyone else. It's the same sort of leader worship we see in dictatorships. Not that the Royal Family are dictators, of course they aren't, but the mass hysterical worship of them is similar.

Is there a different standard?

When were you last sneakily snapped on a private holiday and your half naked torso was slapped across pages of a magazine, maybe you could provide a link?

What I read Boyle say was to shock rather than funny, as we know there are people who think happy slapping is funny and record it for laughs.

Boyle seems to have lost the plot, when did wishing someone would f'ing die become funny, or is he saying the joke is on those who find that sort of thing funny?
    Forum Member
    tysonstorm wrote: »
    I love his jokes, I really can't see the problem.

I find the existence of the Royal Family and the sycophancy towards them by the GBP to be more offensive and in bad taste.

With the name Tysonstorm whose services included, "Dropping bombs on yo Moms" why am I not suprised.

If you were a member of the EDF you'd probably find racist jokes hilarious, may even find homophobic jokes hoping 'queers would f'ing die' funny.

Then again I expect you would find such jokes offensive.
  • Saltydog1955Saltydog1955 Posts: 4,134
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought it was hilarious myself...monarchists just need to get a sense of humour and realise it's not 1527 and they can't hang us all for treason if we don't worship the monarch as some kind of demi-god.

There's a vast difference between saying 'The Queen's so old, her pussy is haunted', which is funny, to wishing her - or anyone for that matter - dead.
    basically his critics need to get over themselves, it's called comedy for a reason, the royals are fair game as well, not like they do anything other than scrounge of the taxpayers.

Royals, religion, yes, fair game, but there's a big difference between genuine wit about it - Dave Allen, Stanley Baxter for example - and Boyle's rambling verbal diarrhoea.
    This is how the big boys do it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-u6XXOELs_s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KITrOPraU4w&list=PLDF9E3F2AF68C4E99
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Love the guy. He has me in fits of hysterics. I think he is a comedy hall comedian though and is best kept away from public broadcast.
  • The TerminatorThe Terminator Posts: 5,312
    Forum Member
    He claims his current tour is his last, would rather write for other people than be on TV himself, I doubt he gives much of a piss at all that his set was cut from this broadcast. He doesn't play the media's game when they're trying to crucify him, I don't see how people can claim he only does this for all the attention, he could whip up so much more of a frenzy by responding to the papers, and dregs like Katie Price, instead of quietly letting them show up their own stupidity.

That aside, I don't find those jokes particularly funny or offensive. They're very mild by Boyle standards.
  • MeicYMeicY Posts: 2,585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The very notion that Boyle could be compared to those racist backward idiots Manning and ChubbyBrown is laughable. Picking on genuinely defenseless people because of their race or creed is truly indefensible. What Boyle does is he goes after the blowhards and the up-themselves and the socially-elevated, those who have no importance other than the importance they generate for themselves out of thin air. The Royals, Katie Price - they're all no different to us yet sycophantic people like the Mailites of this world seek to portray them as some kinds of demigods. Boyle cuts through all that. They deserve every bit of abuse and cutting remark they get.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MeicY wrote: »
    The very notion that Boyle could be compared to those racist backward idiots Manning and ChubbyBrown is laughable. Picking on genuinely defenseless people because of their race or creed is truly indefensible. What Boyle does is he goes after the blowhards and the up-themselves and the socially-elevated, those who have no importance other than the importance they generate for themselves out of thin air. The Royals, Katie Price - they're all no different to us yet sycophantic people like the Mailites of this world seek to portray them as some kinds of demigods. Boyle cuts through all that. They deserve every bit of abuse and cutting remark they get.

And Katie Price's son Harvey isn't denfensless?

I think you should be allowed tell jokes about anything and everything, but you can't say it's ok use disabled person in a joke but not a black or gay person that's hypercritical.

Some of the stuff Manning, Davidson and Chubby Brown do are just racist abuse, but a lot just used race to get joke across instead of women, irish, polish, americans that is seen as acceptable even today as a legitimate joke. Chris Rock jokes about 'N****rs being stupid' in his act and there is whole genre of 'Uncle Tom' comedy. Jimmy Carr tells good joke about Uncle Tom comedy where joke is sorta racist.

So I don't think think you can choose which comedy is allowed. Either all offensive jokes should be allowed or non IMO.
  • GlowbotGlowbot Posts: 14,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I come and go about FB. On the one hand some jokes are clearly just character jokes, a lot of the media seem to just use him to make controversy while reprinting the jokes out of context. On the other hand I think he seems like a dark soul irl, from his memoirs.

I don't think the one about "what is it about cancer sufferers thinking they can run marathons" would be offensive to a cancer sufferer. It's quite a sweet joke with himself as the victim really.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I think you should be allowed tell jokes about anything and everything, but you can't say it's ok use disabled person in a joke but not a black or gay person that's hypercritical.

Some of the stuff Manning, Davidson and Chubby Brown do are just racist abuse, but a lot just used race to get joke across instead of women, irish, polish, americans that is seen as acceptable even today as a legitimate joke. Chris Rock jokes about 'N****rs being stupid' in his act and there is whole genre of 'Uncle Tom' comedy. Jimmy Carr tells good joke about Uncle Tom comedy where joke is sorta racist.

So I don't think think you can choose which comedy is allowed. Either all offensive jokes should be allowed or non IMO.

That is what I think. All should be allowed. Not publically braodcast though.
  • lexi22lexi22 Posts: 16,394
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Agree. For me it's not the subject matter that counts - everything and everyone is fair game and that's how it should be - but I can't find a place for jokes that have no purpose other than to incite racial hatred or bigotry. And Boyle has never done that so to compare him with the likes of Manning, Brown etc is just wrong.

The intent behind the joke is key. It can be as offensive as it likes as long as it doesn't cross over into hatred.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glowbot wrote: »
    I don't think the one about "what is it about cancer sufferers thinking they can run marathons" would be offensive to a cancer sufferer. It's quite a sweet joke with himself as the victim really.

How so? Please explain because the BiB escapes me. :confused:

If Boyle died and his body was hollowed out you wouldn't need 'the guy who plays Gollum to wear it', it'd keep afloat on its own from all the hot air he spouts.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 79
    Forum Member
    There's a vast difference between saying 'The Queen's so old, her pussy is haunted', which is funny, to wishing her - or anyone for that matter - dead.

Do you think he really, actually wishes her dead?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Under Ice wrote: »

Do you think he really, actually wishes her dead?

Dunno. I'm not a mind reader. Are you? ;)
    Forum Member
    Dunno. I'm not a mind reader. Are you? ;)

Of course not, but I'm not going to be up in arms about it or think he really wants her, or anyone, dead. He's a comedian saying controversial stuff - that's his job love it or hate it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Of course not, but I'm not going to be up in arms about it or think he really wants her, or anyone, dead. He's a comedian saying controversial stuff - that's his job love it or hate it.

He said it, people are going to protest. If he can't stand the heat etc, perhaps he should do as others here have thought he might do, and leave TV and write for other people.

I, for one, would be glad to see the back of him.
    Forum Member
    He said it, people are going to protest. If he can't stand the heat etc, perhaps he should do as others here have thought he might do, and leave TV and write for other people.

I, for one, would be glad to see the back of him.

I'm just arguing that he doesn't really want her dead, he's making a joke about wanting her dead. So people could stop being so outraged about it if they saw it that way. I'm being philanthropic ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm just arguing that he doesn't really want her dead, he's making a joke about wanting her dead. So people could stop being so outraged about it if they saw it that way. I'm being philanthropic ;)

It was a JOKE? :confused:

That concept must have flown way over my head then. :D
  • culttvfanculttvfan Posts: 2,800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm all for jokes about The Royal Family if they're any good. I thought Boyle's haunted pussy joke about the Queen on Mock The Week was pretty good, but that was years ago and the truth is he hasn't been funny for a very long time, just being controversial for the sake of it.
  • katmobilekatmobile Posts: 10,869
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The question that people need to ask themselves is this - if I were to apply Frankie's jokes on Kate Middleton to an ordinary celebrity, would I consider them to be equally offensive and equally objectionable? If the answer is no, then you are an absolute gobshite. Sorry for my bluntness, and to remind anyone who may object to my branding of 'gobshite', I have not directed it at any forum member - rather I have directed it on a theoretical assumption that it might apply to a reader. Seriously, people need to stop with this ludicrous and childish obsession with the Royal Family. They're just ****ing people. Worship them if you like, but don't expect others to treat them differently.

I don't think wishing death upon a celeb - is big or clever and there was an equal amount of outrage applied to a joke made by Stewart Lee about Richard Hammond - although that had a point to it.

Nowhere close - actually and I happen to think it's pretty off what happened to Kate Middleton being photo on a private location, off duty and without her consent - it wouldn't have been any better had it happened to Katie Price - it's not to do with royalty it's to do with the media's treatment of celebrity women and how some paps feel they have carte blanche to invade their privacy at will.

You can disagree with the monarchy and still accept that those within it are people with rights to some privacy.

As for Frankie Boyle - at the end of the day you find funny what you find funny but - he just seems to be being outrageous for the sake of it without succeeding in being amusing (although the pope joke sounded funny) - he's like Ricky Gervais was when he first started - boooooring!