The Ratings Thread (Part 44)

Comments

• davey_waveydavey_wavey Posts: 27,406
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dan2008 wrote: »
    Mrs Brown I would assume

Think EastEnders will be around 8m with that Dog thing (BGT winner) over on ITV1 at 8

EastEnders seems out of the way at 8:30pm why the BBC went with that idea I don't know.

I think EastEnders will be fine tonight. Maybe slightly down from last night, but nothing significant. I can't see the Dog show on ITV doing all that well. EastEnders is on just before the Miranda/MBB comedy block as well, so EE may well have the advantage of non EE viewers tuning into BBC1 early ready for Miranda and Mrs Brown.
  • PizzatheactionPizzatheaction Posts: 20,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    derek500 wrote: »
    Perhaps DA need to let one character, let's say Maggie Smith's, utter the F word every time she's wheeled in and get an inane studio audience to go wild on each occasion.
    Enough with the sour grapes! All this because virtually no one watched Stink in 3D?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    It seems no-one seems to be seeing the obvious about ITV's pitiful attempts at Christmas Scheduling....

They fail to use the shows that are strongest in the line up?
    Even the beeb took an ITV strongpoint - talent shows, put a celebrity spin and made it work for about 8m...where was TMO, BGT, Jungle or even XF?

Text Santa which was aired on Friday, was like a Christmas Day schedule about 4 days early...Ant & Dec, Keith Lemon, Willoughby, McGuinness, a festive comedy Corrie episode....argh! Even Corrie was put on some hour long episode, which never suits Corrie...or the viewers.

It's so baffling...they could quite easily match the bbc as well.
  • cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,484
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really did expect more from Strictly as it had a seemingly easier timeslot compared to last year. I think a lot is made of shows being long last night, but if BBC1 had a few pre-watershed hit sitcoms one could have played out on the night and drawn the viewers.
  • KennyTKennyT Posts: 20,700
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cylon6 wrote: »
    Brace yourselves!!

Christmas Day 2012 overnights

1 .. 9.4 (34.3%) .. EastEnders 20:45 BBC One
    2 .. 8.6 (33.5%) .. Coronation Street 19:30 ITV 1
    3 .. 7.8 (33.3%) .. Strictly Come Dancing Christmas Special 18:15 BBC One
    4 .. 7.7 (30.1%) .. The Royle Family Christmas Special 21:45 BBC One
    5 .. 7.6 (33.9%) .. Doctor Who 17:15 BBC One
    6 .. 7.3 (28.3%) .. Call the Midwife 19:30 BBC One
    7 .. 6.8 (25.9%) .. Downton Abbey 20:45 ITV 1
    8 .. 6.1 (30.3%) .. BBC News 22:45 BBC One
    9 .. 6.0 (24.7%) .. Emmerdale 19:00 ITV 1
    10 . 5.6 (28.8%) .. BBC News 17:00 BBC One
    11 .. 5.6 (21.6%) .. ITV News & Weather 20:30 ITV 1
    12 .. 4.9 (29.7%) .. Shrek Forever After 15:15 BBC One
    13 .. 4.7 (25.3%) .. Room on the Broom 16:30 BBC One
    14 .. 4.7 (20.7%) .. Emmerdale 17:30 ITV 1
    15 .. 4.1 (18.2%) .. Paul O'Grady: For The Love of Dogs at Christmas 18:00 ITV 1
    16 .. 3.9 (26.6%) .. Top of the Pops Christmas 14:00 BBC One
    17 .. 3.6 (28.0%) .. Madagascar: Escape 2 Africa 12:45 BBC One
    18 .. 3.2 (20.8%) .. The Vicar of Dibley 23:00 BBC One
    19 .. 3.1 (15.3%) .. New You've Been Framed! at Christmas 17:00 ITV 1
    20 . 2.9 (17.1%) .. Tangled 15:15 ITV 1
    21 . 2.5 (20.7%) .. Shrek the Halls 12:15 BBC One
    22 . 2.2 (24.0%) .. The Gruffalo 09:00 BBC One
    23 . 2.2 ( 8.9%) .. The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring 17:45 Channel 4
    24 . 2.0 (11.9%) .. HM The Queen 15:00 ITV 1
    what about the BBC1 showing?

K
  • Agent FAgent F Posts: 40,288
    Forum Member
    I'd said before the schedules were too drama heavy. It's the last thing people want to watch on Xmas Day. I'm not too surprised by CTM or Downton. Both too long and heavy for Xmas Day - plenty will have recorded and I expect some huge time shift figures for both.
  • AlexiRAlexiR Posts: 22,403
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nothing overly shocking in the Christmas Day numbers although I suppose so minor surprises in Call the Midwife and Downton not doing slightly better. They were never going to be the roaring successes they've been elsewhere on the schedule though all things considered.

I might suggest that Doctor Who could prove to be the rating of the day. More than 7 million from a 17:15 start is pretty impressive and it beat out the two big (non-soap) dramas of the day. It would be interesting to see how much of that audience were actually watching live (or relatively close to it) and how many watched much later. The BBC may very well have shot themselves (and ITV) in the foot with that scheduling. How many people were catching up on Doctor Who instead of watching Midwife or Downton?

I am however surprised that the Queen in 3D did that well. Not sure I see the appeal of watching that in 3D at all. Bit of an odd choice to make. The BBC might also have seen some benefit from being able to move Room on the Broom (which I thought was really very good) a littler later in the day.

Also quite impressed by Aladdin's performance for ITV1 on Christmas morning. And I suspect Channel 4 have to be pretty happy with Lord of the Ring's performance.
  • Ice dragon1Ice dragon1 Posts: 19,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    derek500 wrote: »
    Perhaps DA need to let one character, let's say Maggie Smith's, utter the F word every time she's wheeled in and get an inane studio audience to go wild on each occasion.

Lol wel I'd watch 4 that
  • EESuperFanEESuperFan Posts: 2,820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm hoping for big ratings for Miranda and for EE to hold steady around 9mill.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What I don't understand is that the BBC never air Christmas specials of newer shows (Miranda, Outnumbered, Mrs Brown's Boys) on the big day itself; always Christmas Eve or Boxing Day. Surely they would be perfect for a primetime slot?

But no, instead they always wheel out a special of a show whose series ended at least 5 years ago. Ergo, The Royle Family or Ab Fab.
  • dan2008dan2008 Posts: 37,271
    Forum Member
    I think EastEnders will be fine tonight. Maybe slightly down from last night, but nothing significant. I can't see the Dog show on ITV doing all that well. EastEnders is on just before the Miranda/MBB comedy block as well, so EE may well have the advantage of non EE viewers tuning into BBC1 early ready for Miranda and Mrs Brown.
    True.Im not a BGT viewer but the winning Dog proved popular so that's my reasoning with it doing so well. I don't know what the BBC didn't air EastEnders at 8:00pm though.

Tomorrow night could be interesting as EastEnders is out of it's slot at 8:00pm for an hour and Emmerdale starts at 8:30pm

It seems the BBC are now showing Trailers for EastEnders new years Day 'Time is running out for Sharon'
  • PizzatheactionPizzatheaction Posts: 20,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nice to see EastEnders topping the day. I had a dream last night about Abbey beating it in the overnights, and this thread going wild.:cry::D
    Tomorrow mornings going to be very interesting!
    Yep, very interesting in the end. ;)
  • ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    KennyT wrote: »
    what about the BBC1 showing?

K

Should be in there at No 8 with 6.27 million on BBC1
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    Agent F wrote: »
    I'd said before the schedules were too drama heavy. It's the last thing people want to watch on Xmas Day.

Well they're popular after 9pm..you have to be practical and think the kids & grandparents are probably going to stay till around nine before going home/bed unless there's a cracker - like the Nana episode of TRF..which is why something like TMO or BGT would do surprisingly well...

I was thinking of something like...
    Take Me Out
    Emmerdale
    Corrie
    Ant & Dec presented talent celeb special - something like BGT or Jungle special
    Corrie
    Downton
    Wossy - wild card, but it's better than some awful film they put on - what was this year? Couples retreat on Christmas Day? :rolleyes:

Yes I wouldn't be surprised if Dr Who ends up being most watched this year, even beating EE.
  • Pepsi_Max_KidPepsi_Max_Kid Posts: 1,601
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone know the Corrie and Downton Abbey rating with the +1 included?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,514
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Brace yourselves!!

Christmas Day 2012 overnights

31 . 1.4 ( 7.4%) .. Deal or No Deal's Big Christmas Dinner 16:30 Channel 4
    44 . 0.9 ( 7.7%) .. Gordon's Christmas Cookalong Live 10:00 Channel 4
    82 . 0.1 (12.2%) .. Deal or No Deal's Big Christmas Dinner 04:00 Channel 4

Deal or No Deal on Christmas Day last year had around 1.5m so it's pretty consistent. Looks like Gordon Ramsay lost around 300,000 viewers. I wonder if Channel 4 and Ramsay are happy to do another one in 2013. Surprised 100,000 watched a DoND repeat on Christmas Day at 4am. That share is what the 4pm show usually gets.
  • Georged123Georged123 Posts: 5,762
    Forum Member
    Downton in crisis!
    Call The Midwife in crisis!
    Doctor Who in crisis!
    The Royle Family in crisis!
    Emmerdale in crisis!

The only show that comes out with any real credit is Eastenders, are there a few hats being eaten today?

Corrie and SCD also managed to post satisfactory numbers.

The real winner though is timeshift. I will be fascinated to see the live and timeshifted numbers when come through.
  • cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,484
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone know the Corrie and Downton Abbey rating with the +1 included?

8.8m and 7.3m with +1 for Corrie and Downton respectively.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nice to see EastEnders topping the day. I had a dream last night about Abbey beating it in the overnights, and this thread going wild.:cry::D Yep, very interesting in the end. ;)

Lol yah I thought the exact thing. All these moaners on here saying how EE should b axed, DA wil win in the ratings etc. Now look not only did EE win the night, it slaughtered DA
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Georged123 wrote: »
    Downton in crisis!
    Call The Midwife in crisis!
    Doctor Who in crisis!
    The Royle Family in crisis!
    Emmerdale in crisis!

The only show that comes out with any real credit is Eastenders, are there a few hats being eaten today?

Corrie and SCD also managed to post satisfactory numbers.

The real winner though is timeshift. I will be fascinated to see the live and timeshifted numbers when come through.

The only show I'd say was in crisis was DA coz that lost a hel of a lot of viewers compared to last Christmas.
  • Pepsi_Max_KidPepsi_Max_Kid Posts: 1,601
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    8.8m and 7.3m with +1 for Corrie and Downton respectively.

Thanks so much!
  • tobitobi Posts: 2,915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The reason for Eastenders high rating was because of Max's secret. Now that it has been revealed will the ratings still remain high? I thought last night's episode was good but now that the secret is out, I am not as excited about tonights episode. It is all a bit too downbeat for Christmas.
  • Georged123Georged123 Posts: 5,762
    Forum Member
    Dancc wrote: »
    Yes, credit must be given where due to Doctor Who. All the talk beforehand was about Downton and CTM. I don't think expectations were as high for Who and it's performed well. It can do better of course, but in the context of how other programmes performed yesterday and also how Who was doing in the overnights earlier this year, it's a pleasing performance.
    I think Who effectively dented everything else as viewers will have been catching up with it throughout the night in place of watching something else live.
    jake lyle wrote: »
    Delighted by the underperformance of CTM and Downton.
    It certainly gives schedulers a message that these sorts of shows aren't suitable for Xmas Day. Neither are old-fashioned Xmas Day shows and the fact so many will have recorded to watch on Boxing Day and after should get through. Downton especially was just a huge waste considering how much ad revenue it could have got with 9m or more turining in on Sunday.
    Btw, good job Beeb bosses didn't take advice from this thread and axe Eastenders, eh? :rolleyes:
    Haha. :D
  • dan2008dan2008 Posts: 37,271
    Forum Member
    SamuelW wrote: »
    I think Eastenders will get more than 8.4mill on christmas day but not much more, probably its worst christmas ratings ever and not the number one show which will probably be Call the midwife. Remember a couple of months ago you said Eastenders would get 9million by the end of the year, it hasnt happened yet has it.
    It has now with 1 week togo:p
    dan2008 wrote: »
    A couple of eps in November.EastEnders will be hit tonight i feel but Mondays episode should grow pretty nicely...With the later slot and more people hone ect
    Nice to see the BBC3 figure up aswell as the main. Exactly the same thing will happen Xmas eve and day
    :D:D:D
    tobi wrote: »
    The reason for Eastenders high rating was because of Max's secret. Now that it has been revealed will the ratings still remain high? I thought last night's episode was good but now that the secret is out, I am not as excited about tonights episode. It is all a bit too downbeat for Christmas.
    Even in years where nothing dramatic has happened its rated well. That's just how it goes. EastEnders always does well in the festive season
  • iaindbiaindb Posts: 13,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Reference whether ITV will schedule Downton for Christmas Day next year.

This year's Christmas Day episode was set at the height of Summer for the benefit of American television. Presuambly they'll down the same for next year's Christmas show. So, in that respect, there's no need to show the episode on Christmas Day.

And it would probably be more financially profitable to screen it on another day when the competition is weaker.

But would ITV want to suffer the embarrassment of dropping a programme from Christmas Day capable of getting 7m in the overnights and possibly 10m in the consolidated to replace it with something that, based on past performances, would rate little better than 4m overnights? Midsomer Murders. Poirot.

Maybe they could use the excuse of last ever episode to screen Poirot on Christmas Day. Although....
    doesn't Poirot die in the last ever Poirot book? That might be a bit sad for Christmas Day.
This discussion has been closed.