Spiral (Engrenages) Series Four

Comments

• NaturalDancerNaturalDancer Posts: 5,149
    Forum Member
    Mr Cynic wrote: »
    Anyone feel sorry for poor Sophie?

She's facing a long jail term, and has royally screwed up her life.

She first got in way above her head by getting involved with Thomas, and then he dumped her, and vanished into the crowd. :(

No. He'd realised it wasn't a good time to follow the plan through on their own but she wanted to prove to him she was up to it. She was in way over her head but old enough to know what she was doing and the consequences of her actions.
  • davey_waveydavey_wavey Posts: 27,406
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I found the terrorist plot by far the least interesting. It didn't help that Thomas Riffaut came across as more of a berk than sinister.

I liked the terrorist plot this series, but there were so many things I loved more - the deeper insight into Josephine's character, Pierre's involvement with Jorkal, Tintin's character development and Roban's fight for justice.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,900
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Silly ending really. Full of plot holes.
    They could have asked the phone company to block the phone so that no signal would be allowed to get through to the bomb.
    Also, with the bomb part of the building evacuated why did two cops stay behind to try and deactivate it?....if they left it then no one would be killed.
  • ElanorElanor Posts: 13,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dezire wrote: »
    They could have asked the phone company to block the phone so that no signal would be allowed to get through to the bomb.
    Also, with the bomb part of the building evacuated why did two cops stay behind to try and deactivate it?....if they left it then no one would be killed.

Did they know that the phone was being used as a detonator? I didn't think they did?

And surely someone has to deactivate the bomb? You can't just leave it...
  • JeffG1JeffG1 Posts: 15,269
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought the bomb in the station was a bit of a damp squid.

Squid? :D
  • BosoxBosox Posts: 14,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Elanor wrote: »
    Did they know that the phone was being used as a detonator? I didn't think they did?

Sami could have just turned the phone off.
  • duncannduncann Posts: 11,969
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They're filming it now, I think it's on in France in early 2014.

Thank you for that good news.

On another point, it interests me how many people on here mention Marianne. Her character gets little screen time and not many lines, and she's never central to the main action, yet she clearly makes her mark with the viewer. I think that's a sign of not only how well she plays the role but of how well written and put-together Spiral is overall. They have created a fully-fleshed world populated by believable and interesting characters that even though we never see most of them go home and have other lives, we believe they are real, even just the police staff or the criminal heavies that walk past in the background. Or I do, at least!

I couldn't decide who my favourite character in Spiral is, although I'd be tempted to pick Josephine, but I'd then feel disloyal to the others. It's one of those series that in the USA they would give the 'cast' award to, for the whole team, because it doesn't rest on any one or subset of them.
  • NaturalDancerNaturalDancer Posts: 5,149
    Forum Member
    I thought the bomb in the station was a bit of a damp squid.

JeffG1 wrote: »
    Squid? :D

hahahahahaha
  • Dirty RoosterDirty Rooster Posts: 1,330
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dezire wrote: »
    I have trouble with the whole of that last episode.
    Apart from a token death from the teeny weeny blast (NOT five kilos of semtex!) the rest of the episode had been passed on to the Walt Disney uplifting family film writers.
    Hey let's ties all the ends up with a pink bow!
    Happy!

Pathetic. :sleep:
  • BosoxBosox Posts: 14,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hey let's ties all the ends up with a pink bow!
    Happy!

Pathetic. :sleep:

Really? Laure is in a mess, her relationship with Bremont is surely in ruins and her other love Sami is dead. Tintin just seemed to be getting his mojo back but now he's back to being an emotional wreck after the blast. Didn't end up happy for Jorkal or the gangster brothers or Sophie and Thomas. Roban got his job back but he was hardly happy, with the masons stuff and the cold treatment of Marianne. Josephine and Pierre I guess would qualify as a happy ending but that's the only one.
  • ElanorElanor Posts: 13,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bosox wrote: »
    Josephine and Pierre I guess would qualify as a happy ending but that's the only one.

Even that's come at a price, I think. Josephine's been through the wringer, has relived all the horror of her childhood, has seen how badly she copes without Pierre, and has only just had a suicide attempt - you don't just get over all that with a bit of a snog. Plus her career is possibly screwed - she's been defending a group of terrorists, one of whom has just blown up a police station and killed an officer. Pierre's had to come to terms with knowing he's not as good and honest as he thought he was, and that he wasn't there to help Josephine when she needed him. I don't think they'll just wallow in their happy ending.
  • minkskiminkski Posts: 6,017
    Forum Member
    Groundhog wrote: »
    Am I being too precious? But I was royally p-eed off with the BBC4 continuity announcer before the finale. She said something like:

Now, we know the series has involved the purchase of explosives and the possibility of a bomb but we didn't know whether there would actually be a bomb. Or whether one would actually explode.

But, for me, this announcement gave away the fact that there was going to be an actual explosion. So in the final 5 minutes when they found the bomb (and we still hadn't had an explosion) I just knew it was going to explode in his face. :(

Anyway, great series. A few too many story lines and characters for my liking and a few episodes that seemed to get a bit lost but excellent overall. All the main characters are superb. I loved the Killing 1 but got thoroughly bored by the political story in the Killing 2. I never get that with Spiral.

Love the actors who played Jorkal and Murat too. Proper nasty :D

PS When Jorkal's car exploded I thought that his henchman had meant to fiddle with Pierre's car but got confused in the dark as both cars where the same colour and shape...... :o

Oddly I was worried that Pierre's car was going to explode - even before Jorkal's car did just that.

I was also annoyed at the continuity announcer's comment.
    Was the bomb wired up poorly or is 5kg of cemtex that weak? The police knew it was 5kg from the bust so if they'd known it was that weak then they should have just got everyone away as far as Laure was and then just hid behind a desk and everyone would have been fine! No need to defuse it at all.

I didn't understand why anyone had to stay after the bomb was located- why not wait for bomb disposal? Particularly after Sophie was found too and waving around the phone to detonate it, Sami didn't have to die :(
  • FranglaisFranglais Posts: 3,312
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just googled a French website called "Première" and this is what it said about the forthcoming series 4: "Engrenages saison 4. Tous les lundis en prime-time à partir du 3 septembre. Deux épisodes par soirée".

So probably means it'll be shown on BBC4 a few months later?

Sorry that's old but fast forward a year and the same slots will apply I guess?
  • catsittercatsitter Posts: 4,230
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't the French police have fire alarms in their buildings? And have they never heard of PTSD? I couldn't believe they didn't take Tintin off active duty and get him some counselling after some of the things he did in the last few episodes.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 235
    Forum Member
    I love ths show, one thing about the last episode that annoyed me is why did they shout they had found the bomb if they were planning to disconnect it anyway? I knew that once Sophie heard that she might as well press the button!!!

I am sure they could have conveyed something with a look rather than shouting they had located it...

If anyone had to be killed off though I am pleased it was Sami rather than Tintin or Gilou. Although I wouldn't have minded it being the boss guy to be fair. Surely if he is in the next series he should be in trouble for not letting them have armed response at the hotel? If he had done what his boss told him and worked as a team they would have caught Thomas.
  • minkskiminkski Posts: 6,017
    Forum Member
    Meanaunty wrote: »
    I love ths show, one thing about the last episode that annoyed me is why did they shout they had found the bomb if they were planning to disconnect it anyway? I knew that once Sophie heard that she might as well press the button!!!

I am sure they could have conveyed something with a look rather than shouting they had located it...

If anyone had to be killed off though I am pleased it was Sami rather than Tintin or Gilou. Although I wouldn't have minded it being the boss guy to be fair. Surely if he is in the next series he should be in trouble for not letting them have armed response at the hotel? If he had done what his boss told him and worked as a team they would have caught Thomas.

I think those that found the bomb had no idea that Sophie (or anyone else with their finger on the button) was in the building at that time.

IIRC they realised there was a bomb there because the phone that they were wanting to observe (having found the case in the vacated squat), came on within their building.
  • MercierMercier Posts: 756
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Sami could just have turned the phone off.

Yes, they have to deactivate a bomb, or let it off in a controlled explosion that's why they have bomb squads.
  • KennyTKennyT Posts: 20,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Officials (no overnights for the finale yet :()

ep 9/12: 627k
    ep 10/12: 608k

Table so far:

Overnights:

ep 1/12: 594k (2.65%)
    ep 2/12: 433k (2.2%)
    ep 3/12: 454k (2.0%)
    ep 4/12: 408k (2.1%)
    ep 5/12: 452k (2.05%)
    ep 6/12: 357k (1.8%)
    ep 7/12: 430k
    ep 8/12: 357k
    ep 9/12: 487k
    ep 10/12: 426.5k

Officials:
    ep 1/12: 823k
    ep 2/12: 653k
    ep 3/12: 649k
    ep 4/12: 599k
    ep 5/12: 657k
    ep 6/12: 610k
    ep 7/12: 612k
    ep 8/12: 585k
    ep 9/12: 627k
    ep 10/12: 608k

K
  • Mr CynicMr Cynic Posts: 5,435
    Forum Member
    Really? Laure is in a mess, her relationship with Bremont is surely in ruins and her other love Sami is dead. Tintin just seemed to be getting his mojo back but now he's back to being an emotional wreck after the blast. Didn't end up happy for Jorkal or the gangster brothers or Sophie and Thomas. Roban got his job back but he was hardly happy, with the masons stuff and the cold treatment of Marianne. Josephine and Pierre I guess would qualify as a happy ending but that's the only one.

Oh I don't know, Gilou seemed to have been unaffected, and is happy having a full time relationship with his job.
  • Metal MickeyMetal Mickey Posts: 1,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In all honesty I'll be disappointed if (as seems likely) they continue this storyline in series 5. Riffaut mostly came across as a lucky idiot rather than a terrorist mastermind, the Ozbeks have served their limited purpose, and Jorkal is dead (though seeing his wife as the new boss might have potential.) Seeing Pierre flirt with the dark side was interesting, but as usual, the Jospehine character left me absolutely cold, her motivations are far too vaguely-defined for me to care what she does and why... mind you, it was nice to see Roban on an upswing, though the Freemason connection was a bit of a last-minute deus ex machina, and if he doesn't get it on with Marianne next series I'll be annoyed...
  • VerenceVerence Posts: 104,586
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Mr Cynic wrote: »
    Oh I don't know, Gilou seemed to have been unaffected, and is happy having a full time relationship with his job.

It also looks as if he's more than halfway along to starting a relationship with the young female officer...

Also Prosecutor Marchard seems to have done okay
  • Forget-me-notForget-me-not Posts: 1,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Even that's come at a price, I think. Josephine's been through the wringer, has relived all the horror of her childhood, has seen how badly she copes without Pierre, and has only just had a suicide attempt - you don't just get over all that with a bit of a snog. Plus her career is possibly screwed - she's been defending a group of terrorists, one of whom has just blown up a police station and killed an officer. Pierre's had to come to terms with knowing he's not as good and honest as he thought he was, and that he wasn't there to help Josephine when she needed him. I don't think they'll just wallow in their happy ending.

Especially as Sami would not have died as there would have been no bomb if Josephine had not tipped off the anarchists about being picked up at the squat. The police are going to be even more antagonistic towards her now.

Is it realistic that when arrested, the word of one of those she helps gets her off with no further questions asked? He was almost bound to lie for her.

Pierre was not told that she passed the police teams photos to the anarchists - not having watched previous series I am not sure how much he likes/thinks of Laure and the team and how he would react if he knew. As I am sure Josephine will not change her ways it will be interesting to see how they go on together. I still don't like her though, I didn't even feel anything when she tried to kill herself. Unlike Laure, I just don't care about her.

I like the actress who plays Laure very much, she conveys a strength along with vunerability very well. I did laugh when Gilou was warning her about trying to deal with 2 relationships and told her she may as well make it 3. I like his concern for her and the 3 of them make a great team.
  • VerenceVerence Posts: 104,586
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Does BBC4 gain anything from the "En association avec BBC4" or is it just a courtesy thing??
  • the_lostprophetthe_lostprophet Posts: 4,173
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pierre was not told that she passed the police teams photos to the anarchists - not having watched previous series I am not sure how much he likes/thinks of Laure and the team and how he would react if he knew. As I am sure Josephine will not change her ways it will be interesting to see how they go on together. I still don't like her though, I didn't even feel anything when she tried to kill herself. Unlike Laure, I just don't care about her.

Laure and Pierre had a fling a few series back and that's why we've seen them being quite familiar in this series. If you recall, she specifically said she wanted him to defend her early in series 4 when she was being investigated for shooting Ronaldo (hangover plotline from the end of series 3). The old Pierre would have cared very much about those photos being sent to the anarchists because he has always been a goody two shoes. The series 4 version of Pierre? Who knows? He probably would have had some concern for Laure and strong misgivings in general but unsure what he would have done seeing as he's now in love with Josephine.

I like Josephine - it might help that I've watched all the series and seen her develop and also occasionally seen some of her vulnerabilities. She was actually quite toned down in this series - she used to be way more of a bitch - always an intriguing character though IMO. I was literally shouting at the screen during her suicide attempt scene! :eek: