Question about changing phone networks

cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
Forum Member
I'm considering changing phone networks as I'm not too happy with my current network (Meteor in Ireland). Their coverage is dreadful and sometimes my phone/data connection cuts out altogether or can be very slow. My mum is also having problems with the network (they've just cut her 'phone off and she's very upset and angry about it because she has health problems and needs the phone in case of emergency). I also want to change in support/protest. My question is can I change phone network and keep my phone and all my apps/games/accounts/photos? The SIM card is PAYG. I've never had a contract. Is it simply a case of putting a SIM card from a different network into the phone and then letting all my friends and family know my number? I think I might go to Vodafone as they have good coverage.

Comments

• SchnuffiSchnuffi Posts: 483
    Forum Member
    If I understand you correctly then yes if the phone(s) are unlocked.
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    As far as I know the phone is. I bought it in Phones 4 U in the UK and the guy in the shop stuck the SIM card in and let me set up my Google account (I'm on Android) and everything.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,133
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    EDIT

Deleted
  • finbaarfinbaar Posts: 4,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As far as I know the phone is. I bought it in Phones 4 U in the UK and the guy in the shop stuck the SIM card in and let me set up my Google account (I'm on Android) and everything.

As you bought it from P4U it should almost certainly be unlocked. All you need to do is switch off your phone, take out the old sim, pop in the new one and power it back on. Switching sims does not require you to reset your phone and lose your data (which is good as I am always swapping sims). The only issue you may have is that the data and messaging settings may not be set up for the new network - but honestly that is unlikely and if it is the case then just get them from the wep and enter them on your phone. You are after the "APN Settings" and you get to them by going settings>chosing more under wireless and networks>Mobile networks>Access Point Names. But as I say it should just work without the need for that.
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    finbaar wrote: »
    As you bought it from P4U it should almost certainly be unlocked. All you need to do is switch off your phone, take out the old sim, pop in the new one and power it back on. Switching sims does not require you to reset your phone and lose your data (which is good as I am always swapping sims). The only issue you may have is that the data and messaging settings may not be set up for the new network - but honestly that is unlikely and if it is the case then just get them from the wep and enter them on your phone. You are after the "APN Settings" and you get to them by going settings>chosing more under wireless and networks>Mobile networks>Access Point Names. But as I say it should just work without the need for that.

Thanks :) I shouldn't have any problems then. All I need to do is find out whether the network I want to change to has a SIM-only deal as the phone is fine and I have no trouble with the OS or anything. I could also get the people in the shop to do it for me, but I didn't want them seeing my lock screen photo or anything :D It's a rather embarrassing one :o