Radio Sports Commentators and Reporters 2012/13 (non-football)

Comments

• Ian CleverlyIan Cleverly Posts: 10,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wales V Argentina (RU friendly from Cardiff)

BBC Radio Wales - Simon Davies (hosting) with Tom Shanklin and Garin Jenkins used for 'pre-match thoughts'. Commentary from Gareth Charles and Garin Jenkins, with Tom Shanklin used occasionally. Nick Webb is pitchside reporter. (AM / North FM / Digital TV/Radio / Online)

BBC Radio Cymru - Eleri Siôn hosting with Emyr Lewis for pre-match discussion. Commentary from Cennydd Davies, Emyr Lewis and Gareth Davies, with Rhodri-Gomer Davies pitchside reporter. (commentary except SW Wales FM)

James Burridge and Matt Dawson are commentating on England V Fiji over on 5LSX.
  • shaun_dshaun_d Posts: 1,693
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ATP World Tour Finals - BBC Radio 5 Live Sports Extra

Day 3

Djokovic v Murray - David Law, Miles MacLagen & Russell Fuller

Marray/Nielsen v Mirnyi/Nestor - Jonathan Overend, Colin Fleming & Russell Fuller
    Berdych v Tsonga - David Law, Miles MacLagen & Nick Lester

Day 4

Federer v Ferrer - David Law, Miles MacLagen & Nick Lester

Del Potro v Tipsarevic - Russell Fuller, James Auckland & David Law

Day 5

Djokovic v Berdych - Russell Fuller, Ross Hutchins & Jonathan Overend

Marray/Nielsen v Lindstedt/Tecau - Russell Fuller, Miles MacLagen & David Law
    Murray v Tsonga - Russell Fuller, Colin Fleming & David Law

Rugby Union Autumn Internationals - 5 Live 10.11.12

England v Fiji - Ian Robertson (James Burridge & Matt Dawson with commentary on Sports Extra)
    Wales v Argentina - Mark Pougatch & Rob Jones
    Ireland v South Africa - Conor McNamara & Denis Hickie (commentary)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Scotland V New Zealand (RU friendly from Edinburgh)

BBC Radio Scotland - John Beattie hosting from Murrayfield, with commentary from Bill Johnstone, Peter Wright and Richie Gray (FM / Audio Option via BBC One)
  • shaun_dshaun_d Posts: 1,693
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Scotland V New Zealand (RU friendly from Edinburgh)

BBC Radio Scotland - John Beattie hosting from Murrayfield, with commentary from Bill Johnstone, Peter Wright and Richie Gray (FM / Audio Option via BBC One)

Andy Gillies reported for 5 Live, Iain Carter + Gavin Hastings commentated for Sports Extra.
  • pakokelso93pakokelso93 Posts: 11,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    IRN/Talking Rugby

England v Fiji
    - Nick Heath
    Scotland v NZ - Stuart Cameron (Also gave a couple of Specific reports to TD1 Radio)

LV Cup

London Irish v Sale - Elliot Cook
  • The DifferenceThe Difference Posts: 21,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Talking Rugby

England v Fiji
    - Nick Heath
    Scotland v NZ - Stuart Cameron (Also gave a couple of Specific reports to TD1 Radio)

Hamish Stuart covered Wales v Argentina and David Brady reported on Ireland v South Africa for Talking Rugby. Russell Hargreaves was also reporting from England v Fiji for them, while Andrew McKenna covered that match specifically for talkSPORT.

Well done to the BBC for deciding to put commentary on Ireland v South Africa on Radio 5 Live. A positive and encouraging move.
  • 4-4-24-4-2 Posts: 5,413
    Forum Member
    From Charles Sale in the Daily Mail:
    Five Live eye 2015 rights

BBC's Five Live, who lost out on the radio rights for next summer's British Lions rugby tour of Australia after TalkSport put three times more money on the table, are more hopeful of at least sharing coverage of the 2015 World Cup with their commercial rivals.

Meanwhile, the future of Five Live controller Adrian van Klaveren is on the line after his involvement in clearing the false Newsnight report that wrongly implicated a senior Conservative in the North West child abuse scandal.

Van Klaveren had been seconded from his Five Live position until December to BBC news management in the fall-out from the Jimmy Savile scandal. Insiders believe Van Klaveren will now be fortunate to return to his role after the Newsnight debacle.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/article-2231938/Richard-Scudamore-replace-F1-chief-Bernie-Ecclestone--Charles-Sale.html#ixzz2C5QY22gJ
    Forum Member
    BBC Radio Leicester

Charles Dagnall with BBC Radio Leicester Sport from Welford Road

Leicester Tigers v New Zealand Maori - Bleddyn Jones and Scott Hamilton (19:30 commentary)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sunday 11th October - BBC Radio 5 Live Sports Extra

5 Live NFL with Greg Brady and Danielle Michaud (in Toronto, Ontario)

American Football: NFL Week Ten
    Dallas Cowboys @ Philadelphia Eagles - Merrill Reese and Mike Quick (commentary provided by WENJ 97.3FM - "The Eagles Radio Network")

Monday 12th October - BBC Radio 5 Live Sports Extra and BBC Red Button (TV)

5 Live NFL with Darren Fletcher and Rocky Boiman (in London)

American Football: NFL Week Ten
    Kansas City Chiefs @ Pittsburgh Steelers - Mike Tirico and Jon Gruden, with Lisa Salters on the sidelines (commentary provided by ESPN television)

BBC TV have introduced a new set-up for their Red Button coverage of the NFL's Monday Night Football. Coverage is now being simulcast on Radio 5 Live Sports Extra, with the 5 Live NFL studio coverage being introduced onto the Red Button during the breaks in play. From watching the Red Button's coverage back on the iPlayer, Darren and Rocky were on camera in a studio similar to the one Channel 4 and 5 have used for their coverage of American sports (albeit slightly more basic looking) doing the usual kind of studio inserts we hear on 5 Live NFL and indeed on those channel's NFL coverage. 5LSE simulcast their audio straight from the Red Button, including ESPN's television commentary rather opting for a radio feed as they usually would. It is the first time they have done this and made for an interesting listen. It is another good move by Radio 5 Live Sports Extra in my opinion.

Next week Greg and Danielle will be back for the Sunday game, which will be the San Diego Chargers @ Denver Broncos at 9pm our time, with the Chicago Bears @ San Francisco 49ers being the Monday Night Football which will once again be carried by 5LSE.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wales V Samoa (RU friendly from Cardiff)

BBC Radio Wales - Simon Davies presenting from the Millennium stadium, with commentary and build up from Nick Webb, Robert Jones and Gareth Llewellyn. Gareth Rhys Owen is pitchside reporter. (All frequencies / Online)

BBC Radio Cymru - Eleri Siôn hosting from the Millennium Stadium, with build up from herself, Gareth Davies and Emyr Lewis. Commentary with Cennydd Davies, Gareth and Emyr. Rhodri Gomer-Davies is pitchside reporter

BBC Radio Five Live - Gareth Lewis (updates)

BBC Bristol / Somerset

Harlequins V Bath (LV= Cup) - Andy Champion and David Barnes (104.6FM / Online)
  • AZ fanAZ fan Posts: 1,651
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does anyone know the latest situation with CMJ? Would have been nice to hear him on the winter tour.

edit: I see he won't be returning to TMS. I can only wish him all the best in his battle with cancer.

I also note that Sports Extra will be broadcasting some games from the Big Bash as part of a tie-up with ABC.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sunday 18th November - BBC Radio 5 Live Sports Extra

5 Live NFL with Greg Brady and Danielle Michaud (in Toronto, Ontario)

American Football: NFL Week 11
    Indianapolis Colts @ New England Patriots - Gil Santos and Scott Zolak (9.25pm GMT commentary provided by 98.5 The Sports Hub - "The New England Patriots Radio Network")

Monday 19th November - BBC Radio 5 Live Sports Extra and BBC Red Button (TV)

5 Live NFL with Darren Fletcher and Rocky Boiman (in London)*

American Football: NFL Week 11
    Chicago Bears @ San Francisco 49ers - Mike Tirico and Jon Gruden, with Lisa Salters on the sidelines (commentary provided by ESPN television)

*At least that was the plan, the Red Button presentation (which was fine on TV) didn't carry over onto 5LSE from what I heard of their coverage (the broadcast has not been uploaded to the iPlayer, perhaps for this very reason), with us hearing ESPN's off-air audio feed from the commentary box during the American channel's commercial breaks rather than Darren and Rocky in the studio. Not that I'm complaining, hearing an off-air feed is always fun!
  • pakokelso93pakokelso93 Posts: 11,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    RUGBY - IRN/Talking Rugby
    Last Weekend - Similar to weekend before...

Eng v Aus - Russell Hargreaves Primarily. Also updates too from Nick Heath.

Sco v SA
    - Stuart Cameron (who also did updates specific to TD1 Radio).

I imagine the same reporters for Wales/Ireland games? Stuart has told me he is off to Aberdeen on Saturday for Scotland-Tonga.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RUGBY - IRN/Talking Rugby
    Last Weekend - Similar to weekend before...

Eng v Aus - Russell Hargreaves Primarily. Also updates too from Nick Heath.

Sco v SA
    - Stuart Cameron (who also did updates specific to TD1 Radio).

I imagine the same reporters for Wales/Ireland games?

Hamish Stuart covered Wales v Samoa for them last Friday night, although going by talkSPORT, Talking Rugby didn't have a reporter at what effectively was the Ireland Wolfhounds v Fiji on Saturday evening. I suppose that it wasn't a full international may have been the reason why they didn't cover it, that and that they'd be less interest in a game taking place in a post-5pm timeslot from the stations they typically work with. talkSPORT also took Stuart Cameron's reports on Scotland v South Africa while Andrew McKenna covered England v Australia specifically for them. You'd expect Talking Rugby to use their usual reporters of Hargreaves and Heath on England, Stuart on Wales, Cameron on Scotland and David Brady on Ireland throughout the Autumn Internationals, as has been the case over the past few years.

Over on Irish radio, I'm not sure how RTE Radio covered Ireland v Fiji, but Newstalk 106-108FM had Liam Toland reporting on it while Ross Lindsay was there for Today FM. Tomorrow, Toland and Reggie Corrigan (who reported on Ireland v South Africa for them the weekend before last) are scheduled to cover Ireland v Argentina for Newstalk.

Probably of more interest on this thread than on the talkSPORT Chat one - Bob Ballard will make his talkSPORT presenting debut this weekend when he hosts Extra Time with John Kreger between 12-6am on Sunday morning.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BBC Bristol / Somerset / 5 Live Sports Xtra

Bath V Harlequins (Aviva Premiership RU) - Andrew Sheridan and Ben Skirving (95.5FM / 104.6FM / Online)
    Forum Member
    Probably of more interest on this thread than on the talkSPORT Chat one - Bob Ballard will make his talkSPORT presenting debut this weekend when he hosts Extra Time with John Kreger between 12-6am on Sunday morning.

It won't be his debut - he's presented Extra Time on at least one occasion already.

Sunday 7th October was one of those times.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wales V New Zealand (RU Friendly from Cardiff)

BBC Radio Wales - Simon Davies (hosting) Gareth Charles, Michael Owen and Phil Bennett. Nick Webb is pitchside reporter (All frequencies / Online)

BBC Radio Cymru - Eleri Siôn (hosting) Cennydd Davies, Brynmor Williams and Emyr Lewis with Bethan Clement pitchside reporter (commentary)

BBC Radio Five Live - Gareth Lewis (0-20) Jonny Saunders (20-40) and Robert Jones

Dunno who commentated for 5 Live for Ingerlund V Sooth Afreekar, but Andy Gillies reported on Tonga's victory Vs Scotland, with Conor McNamara reporting on Ireland V Argentina.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    4-4-2 wrote: »
    It won't be his debut - he's presented Extra Time on at least one occasion already.

Sunday 7th October was one of those times.

Thanks for the correction, I must have missed Bob's first (few) show(s) as a presenter on talkSPORT. I'm listening at the moment, he's doing a good job from what I've heard so far.
    Wales V New Zealand (RU Friendly from Cardiff)

BBC Radio Five Live - Gareth Lewis (0-20) Jonny Saunders (20-40) and Robert Jones

Interesting news. I know 5 Live have called upon Gareth Lewis as a reporter a few times, but while he's an experienced anchorman I've not heard of him commentating before. You would know better than me Ian, but I don't think he's ever commentated for Radio Wales on things like the Heineken Cup - usually those games would be the domain of Charlo, Nick Webb and Gareth Rhys Owen. Hope he did well though, I would be interested to hear what the 5 Live listeners who post on here thought if they caught their coverage of the game.

Possibly drifting a little off-topic here, but do you know why Gareth Lewis moved from Scrum V to Good Evening Wales? I've got to assume this must be because BBC Wales management view hosting the Radio Wales drive time programme as being more important than presenting their TV and radio coverage of regional rugby, as for my money Gar was a tremendous presenter on Scrum V, easily as good as any of the sports hosts on network BBC.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Saturday 24th November - BBC Radio 5 Live

Colin Murray presented 5 Live Boxing from the Manchester Evening News Arena

Boxing: Welterweight Contest
    Ricky Hatton v Vyacheslav Senchenko - Mike Costello, Matt Macklin and Barry McGuigan (commentary)

BBC Radio Manchester also had live coverage of the fight with Bill Rice commentating, not sure who he was with. Dom McGuinness was reporting from the MEN Arena for talkSPORT.
    Forum Member
    BBC Radio Leicester

Charles Dagnall presenting BBC Radio Leicester Sport from Adams Park

Premiership Rugby
    London Wasps v Leicester Tigers - Bleddyn Jones and Steve Johnson (14:30 commentary)
    London Irish v Exeter - Russell Hargreaves
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BBC Bristol

Bristol V London Scottish (RFU Championship) - Andy Champion and Matthew Jones (DAB / Online)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Waes V Australia (RU friendly from Cardiff)

BBC Radio Wales - Simon Davies (hosting) Commentary from Gareth Charles, Tom Shanklin and Michael Owen, with Aly Rowell pitchside reporter (AM / SE FM / Digital TV/Radio / Online)

BBC Radio Cymru - Eleri Siôn (hosting) with commentary from Cennydd Davies, Emyr Lewis and Robert Jones, Bethan Clement was pitchside reporter (Main commentary apart from SW Wales FM)
  • nicktrownicktrow Posts: 869
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I see 5 Live Sports Extra have live cricket commentary on the Big Bash League game between Perth Scorchers and Melbourne Stars on Wednesday 12th.
    I presume a direct feed from ABC Radio.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sunday 25th November - BBC Radio 5 Live Sports Extra

5 Live NFL with Darren Fletcher (in London)

American Football: NFL Week 12
    San Francisco 49ers @ New Orleans Saints - Jim Henderson and Hokie Gajan, with Kristian Garic on the sidelines (9.25pm GMT commentary provided by WWL - "The Saints Radio Network")

Sunday 2nd December - BBC Radio 5 Live Sports Extra

5 Live NFL with Tony Husband (in London)

American Football: NFL Week 13
    Pittsburgh Steelers @ Baltimore Ravens - Gerry Sandusky, Qadry Ismail and Stan White (9.25pm GMT commentary provided by WBAL 1090 AM - "The Baltimore Ravens Radio Network")

On last weekend's game, the Ravens secondary co-commentator Stan White also doubled up as their sideline reporter, conducting interviews at half-time and full-time. Next Sunday's live game will be the San Francisco 49ers @ Miami Dolphins from 9pm, coverage to be presented by Tony Husband.

As for Monday Night Football, it seems as if they are no longer simulcasting audio from the BBC Red Button coverage on 5LSE since the problems they experienced in Week 11. I can understand why they opted not to during Week 12, what with the scheduled Test cricket (albeit the Test Match finished a day early and so the platform was free that Monday), but there was no such excuse last night. For the record, Darren Fletcher presented Red Button coverage of the Carolina Panthers @ Philadelphia Eagles in Week 12 alongside Aki Jones, while it was Darren and Rocky Boiman hosting coverage of the New York Giants @ Washington Redskins in Week 13.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cardiff Blues V Montpellier Hérault (Heineken Cup RU)

BBC Radio Wales - Gareth Rhys Owen (hosting from ground) Nick Webb and Adrian Hadley (All Frequencies / Online) *
    BBC Radio Cymru - Cennydd Davies (also hosting) and Emyr Lewis (commentary)

*5LSX also taking this commentary