160gb iPod Classic Battery

wildholliewildhollie Posts: 3,029
Forum Member
✭✭✭
So i got a new ipod for Xmas. But i'm a bit concerned that the battery is not working like it should.

When i received it, i spent 2 hours transferring the songs over from itunes to the ipod (there was already battery life on the ipod) and 2 days later gave it a couple of hours charge.

Since then i have charged it twice for 4 hours each time and yet it doesnt seem to last that long ?
I use it every day at work, and it's probably on for about 4-5 hours a day....its Wednesday and the battery is already half way depleted....my previous iPod's battery lasted much longer than this, and the playback time for a fully charged ipod is apparently approx 36 hours, so I am worried it's a battery issue. Should I return it ?

From the apple site....
Playback time
Music playback time: Up to 36 hours when fully charged
Video playback time: Up to 6 hours when fully charged

Comments

• Rodney McKayRodney McKay Posts: 8,143
    Forum Member
    wildhollie wrote: »
    So i got a new ipod for Xmas. But i'm a bit concerned that the battery is not working like it should.

When i received it, i spent 2 hours transferring the songs over from itunes to the ipod (there was already battery life on the ipod) and 2 days later gave it a couple of hours charge.

Since then i have charged it twice for 4 hours each time and yet it doesnt seem to last that long ?
    I use it every day at work, and it's probably on for about 4-5 hours a day....its Wednesday and the battery is already half way depleted....my previous iPod's battery lasted much longer than this, and the playback time for a fully charged ipod is apparently approx 36 hours, so I am worried it's a battery issue. Should I return it ?

From the apple site....
    Playback time
    Music playback time: Up to 36 hours when fully charged
    Video playback time: Up to 6 hours when fully charged

Usually with a new battery it's recommended to give it a good long charge the first couple of times you use it. 4 hours is not a long time I'd suggest. Try giving it an overnighter
  • wildholliewildhollie Posts: 3,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Usually with a new battery it's recommended to give it a good long charge the first couple of times you use it. 4 hours is not a long time I'd suggest. Try giving it an overnighter

ok, will do, but should i not have done this to begin with ? Will it make any difference doing it now ? :)
  • grassmarketgrassmarket Posts: 33,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've had two 160Gb Classics and the battery life was hugely variable. On the first one it was 5-6 hours, on my current about 20-25 hours.
  • Rodney McKayRodney McKay Posts: 8,143
    Forum Member
    wildhollie wrote: »
    ok, will do, but should i not have done this to begin with ? Will it make any difference doing it now ? :)

It's worth a go, new batteries don't generally reach their full performance until after a few charges. Usually if you check the instructions for most devices they will tell you to give the device a good long charge for the first few charges.

If I haven't used a device for a while or say the spare battery for my laptop, I will often switch it on let it discharge say 60-70% then give it a good overnighter.

Give it a good overnight charge then run the device until the battery gets down to say 20-30% (don't go all the way down) then give it another good overnighter and see if that helps.